HELP- I think I am in trouble!!

Maryintwin

I had booked a flight on Delata leaving the Fort Lauderdale airport at 11:09 on a Sunday morning after a cruise. I just received an email from them informing me that they have changed the aircraft, flight number, and departure time! It is NOW scheduled for 10:25am. I called Delta - they have NO later flights available that day. Am I SOL??????

If you push Delta they should do one of two things:

1.) find you another flight, even if it is with a connection (I find it hard that Delta has no more flights after 11:09 out of FLL - they practically run a shuttle operation to ATL).

2.) refund your money entirely and cancel the ticket

Just expalin that you booked the 11:09 for a purpose and that the 10:30ish flight doesn't work for your schedule. Just be firm because knowing airlines, Delta will try to make it seem like this is your problem.

This has happened to me a couple of times (quite normal actually for schedules to change) and I always end up coming away with a satisfactory resoution after a firm but nice chat with customer service.

I find it hard that Delta has no more flights after 11:09 out of FLL - they practically run a shuttle operation to ATL.

They undoubtedly have flights, but probably no availability. If Maryintwin will give me the dates and destinations, I'll check on availability for DL flights out of FLL. In addition, DL has codeshare agreements with both NW and CO that add additional flight options.

JJPNYC is right about the polite but firm dealings with the airline. It is their change that is causing the issue. Some agents merely look to see if your fare bucket has availability, not whether there is any coach availability. Also, they often just look at your original routing - often you have other connection choices that will work, but they aren't the obvious ones. So you aren't completely out of luck. Give me some specifics and I'll see what I can find.

Something like this happened to me last year with AirTran. I was flying in/out of Miami. Flight was changed by AT. I insisted that they get me to/from Miami. They ended up flying us into FLL First Class, gave us vouchers for transfer to Miami. I thought that was nice of them.

The airlines have options when it's THERE change causing the problem. Be firm. Similar situation happened to me, flying with my elderly mother and they wanted to change our flight time to 6am. I told them no way she could handle that and they made adjustments.

• 3 weeks later...
I had booked a flight on Delata leaving the Fort Lauderdale airport at 11:09 on a Sunday morning after a cruise. I just received an email from them informing me that they have changed the aircraft, flight number, and departure time! It is NOW scheduled for 10:25am. I called Delta - they have NO later flights available that day. Am I SOL??????

Maryintwin,

The ship might be able to help. Two weeks ago, my wife and I were off our ship at 8:30am. We could have made that flight with no problem. If you find you can't find an alternative flight, just check with the customer relations people onboard your ship and see if you can get a "first off" bag tag number. Show them your flight change schedule. If your ship is running late it could be a problem.

Good luck,

Kel

Are you aware that Delta may go on strike anytime after 4/17? If they strike, everyone on Delta will be shuffled to other airlines...if the other airlines co-operate!! What a mess that will be!

If Delta does strike and you bought your own tickets Delta will at some time get you moved to another airline, but you should have alternative arrangements includinh driving becasue it is likely to take three to five dasy at a minimum to get on another flight (unless you are one of the lucky ones or traveling with a high priced non refundable ticket.)

(unless you are one of the lucky ones or traveling with a high priced non refundable ticket.)

Please explain. In case of a Delta strike (which will probably mean Delta shutdown), the higher priced tickets would be the last tickets other airlines would want. More liability from Delta, for which there is probably NO recovery through the airlines' interline agreements. NO airline needs more red ink.

In the end, the ticket price will have very little effect whether you will be flying on the same day you were originally ticketed for or two/three or more days later. Pre-planning (and a little luck) will ensure your best chances for a flight close to your original flight time.

Please explain. In case of a Delta strike (which will probably mean Delta shutdown), the higher priced tickets would be the last tickets other airlines would want. More liability from Delta, for which there is probably NO recovery through the airlines' interline agreements. NO airline needs more red ink.

In the end, the ticket price will have very little effect whether you will be flying on the same day you were originally ticketed for or two/three or more days later. Pre-planning (and a little luck) will ensure your best chances for a flight close to your original flight time.

I think we have to disagree on the order on which Delta will get people moved over. I think Delta will work on the high paid tickets first.

Archived