1st time visitors to San Diego — transportation

NanaJPB

We’ll be spending two and a half days in San Diego at the end of March,2024, before a cruise to see the eclipse in Mexico.   We have reservations at the Wyndham Bayside, right across from the cruise terminal.  As first time visitors, we’ll want to visit the must do attractions, including the zoo and Balboa Park.  We’re thinking that the hop on-hop off trolley will be our best bet for transportation to the places we’ll want to go.  Feedback on this plan from those experienced with San Diego, please.  TY!

I'm like CruiserBruce and unsure what you are calling the hop on hop off trolley.  Most people think of the "trolley" as the Red Train, which we use to move around downtown.  Study the Red Trolly map and see where it goes and if it's close to what you want to see.  It's more of a commuter trolly than a tourist thing.  There is the Orange "hop on hop off" bus that looks sort of like a San Francisco cable car and mostly does downtown and out to the zoo.  It might not be the most efficient use of time.  Otherwise I would do Uber.   There's plenty to see on foot within a short distance from the cruise terminal.  You can see a lot and then take an Uber to the zoo and back.   

The Hop On Hop Off, also called the Old Town Trolley, is NOT your best bet, Uber is.

You can also use the real SD Metro Trolley to get to Old Town and La Jolla. You can use the Coronado Ferry to get across the bay to Coronado and then walk, Uber or public bus to "downtown" Coronado.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

The Hop On Hop Off, also called the Old Town Trolley, is NOT your best bet, Uber is.

You can also use the real SD Metro Trolley to get to Old Town and La Jolla. You can use the Coronado Ferry to get across the bay to Coronado and then walk, Uber or public bus to "downtown" Coronado.

Thank you.  Can you tell me why Uber would be a better choice?

2 hours ago, NanaJPB said:

Thank you.  Can you tell me why Uber would be a better choice?

They are everywhere, quick, and cheap.  Even when we are in SD with a car we will use an Uber to get around mostly to avoid finding parking or in case we have a cocktail or two.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1

I agree, Uber would be less expensive and more efficient.  I guess I was thinking more of the opportunity to get an overview.  We’d arrive knowing only that the zoo and Balboa Park were on our must see list.  We’d ride the Tour Trolley to and from there on the first day, deciding what other stops interested us and do those on day two.  Not an okay plan?

Joanna

5 hours ago, NanaJPB said:

I agree, Uber would be less expensive and more efficient.  I guess I was thinking more of the opportunity to get an overview.  We’d arrive knowing only that the zoo and Balboa Park were on our must see list.  We’d ride the Tour Trolley to and from there on the first day, deciding what other stops interested us and do those on day two.  Not an okay plan?

Joanna

Joanna, I think you'd be better served to just let your fingers do the walking (or typing, as is the case in the modern world) and know you want to see before you arrive. The trolley doesn't go to a lot of interesting areas, or a separate trolley does.

Things you might want to research are Pacific Beach & Mission Beach, La Jolla Village,La Jolla Shores, the village area of Coronado, Old Town, Balboa Park (20 different museums and cultural centers besides the SD Zoo), the Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy, Columbia neighborhood (where your hotel is), Liberty Station and if you are beer fans, the 150+ independent craft breweries in San Diego.

I think the OTT is too time consuming and slow between points. Just my thoughts.

As another local I agree with @scottca075 (although I suspect above we’ve been doing some conflating of the SDMTS Public Rail Trolley and the Trolley Tours hop-on style vehicle) it seems an inefficient use of your time in port, unless just riding around is the only thing yóu plan to do besides the Zoo.

His list above covers the best options well unless you have specific interests, like you have young kids, are into military history, want to see the LGBT neighborhood, etc  etc. 

Balboa Park and the zoo, which you specifically mentioned, are close to your hotel.  (BTW, the zoo is actually in Balboa Park.)  I agree with others that Uber or Lyft is your best choice.  I'm not a big fan of the Old Town Trolley.

For other destinations, if you can get to it by the Trolley (the San Diego light rail system easily identified by the red carriages), that would be my first choice.

If you are looking for other things, your hotel is right on the Embarcadero, which has a lot of nice attractions, including the USS Midway.  I always like Old Town, which is an easy Trolley ride from downtown.  La Jolla is further afield and harder to get to.  I would also suggest Uber for La Jolla.  The island of Coronado is nice, especially the Hotel del Coronado, supposedly the inspiration for the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz.  You can get to Coronado by ferry from downtown, not too far from your hotel.

I envy your trip.  I lived in San Diego for for 50 years before moving to Australia last year.  My heart still lives in San Diego.

The zoo & Balboa Park are for sure must sees, Old Town (I’m a fan of Old Town Mexican Cafe) would be easy with an Uber. 

La Jolla cove is also worth the journey. It’s a bit north, but shouldn’t be too expensive.

Seaport Village, Petco stadium & Gas Lamp Quarter are all in within walking distance, same with the USS Midway museum & several harbor boat tours.