Lack of Shore Excursions Listed to Book

tlund

Sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't find current info.  We are booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam for November 25th.  We have the Have It All package with the shore excursion credit.  I have been watching for shore excursions to populate to book.  It is quite frustrating to see only a hand full of excursions listed per port (except for Half Moon Cay).  Looking for experience from recent cruisers as to whether the number of shore excursions were severely limited, if more shore excursions populated closer to sailing or if more excursions were available to book once onboard (and whether there was a mad dash to the shore excursion desk at embarkation.  With my type A personality, I'd like to get everything planned and booked and this is making it very difficult.  Any recent experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, tlund said:

We are booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam for November 25th.  We have the Have It All package with the shore excursion credit.  I have been watching for shore excursions to populate to book.  It is quite frustrating to see only a hand full of excursions listed per port (except for Half Moon Cay).  

I am not an experienced Caribbean cruiser, but I tried to look into this. It seems to me that for a Nov'23 cruise, there will be no further excursions added. We have a So.Pacific cruise booked with only ONE ship's excursion available for TWO of the ports! 

Especially after the shut-down, some ports simply do not have vendors to offer tours.

I think you should go to the individual ports here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

and see what others are experiencing. I know you are not looking for independent tours but to use your HIA credits, but that would give you a view on the situation.

HAL has a problem with their Half Moon Cay.  I called a while ago and they told me they had difficulty getting them up and should be up in the next month and they did show up last month.  We sail early October this year so it was really late.  I suspect yours will show up next month if not at the end of this one for HMC.

We booked in April and for the longest time there were no shore excursions listed.  I highly doubt that all of the excursions were sold out 7 months before sailing.  Last night I noticed some more excursions for Cozumel populated but minimal for Jamaica and Cayman.  Just crazy that they offer a package with a shore excursion credit, but only a handful of excursions to choose from.   Hopefully we will see more populate before the cruise.  Would really like to avoid standing at the shore excursions desk trying to look at all the excursions and trying to decide for 6 people.

If excursions are sold out the website will still list the excursion and indicate that they are sold out.  You can get on a wait list.  We had issues on our Hawaii cruise with sold out excursions and we were able to get the excursion through waitlisting.  You do have to pay for it when you waitlist but HAL will credit your account onboard if you need to use your HIA excursion credit.

Edited by oaktreerb

33 minutes ago, cruisetravlr said:

You are also able to see and book excursions from the TV in the comfort of your cabin. It is much more pleasurable than standing in line. If a particular excursion has limited availability, it shows on the screen.

With the HIA excursion credit many excursions sell out prior to sailing.  That leaves the most desired excursions sold out before you even board the ship.

This issue is not sold out excursions.  The issue is they aren't even showing but a couple excursions for each port (except recent additions for Cozumel).  Hard to book excursions when there are none.