Problem with "Activity" feature

I use an Activity to follow threads, then "go to first unread post".  I've been following one thread that has disappeared from my Activity stream.  I've removed and re-entered it, I've logged out, deleted cookies and logged back in.  Nothing seems to work.  The thread does show up in Manage My Followed Content.  I'm using a Mac and Safari. Any advice?

3 hours ago, Paul from Maryland said:

I use an Activity to follow threads, then "go to first unread post".  I've been following one thread that has disappeared from my Activity stream.  I've removed and re-entered it, I've logged out, deleted cookies and logged back in.  Nothing seems to work.  The thread does show up in Manage My Followed Content.  I'm using a Mac and Safari. Any advice?

Not sure what you mean by "my Activity stream". Do you have a custom stream for following particular threads?

4 hours ago, Paul from Maryland said:

I don't know if this is what you are seeing but one thing I have noticed is that if the moderators  have deleted some posts or combined threads that the thread might disappear from my Content I Posted in activity stream until someone makes a new post.  

28 minutes ago, broberts said:

Not sure what you mean by "my Activity stream". Do you have a custom stream for following particular threads?

Yes.  "My Activity Stream" is simply the name I used for the custom stream.

It's worked well ever since the conversion to this software.  But recently it's been dropping a thread or two.  The first thread to drop seemed to be fixed by logging out and back in.  And a recently added thread showed up at first but was gone the next day.

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't know if this is what you are seeing but one thing I have noticed is that if the moderators  have deleted some posts or combined threads that the thread might disappear from my Content I Posted in activity stream until someone makes a new post.  

I don't use Content I Posted.  And the two missing threads are still there...I looked them up manually.

1 hour ago, Paul from Maryland said:

I don't use Content I Posted.  And the two missing threads are still there...I looked them up manually.

What I have seen from time to time happens when posts have been deleted from a thread or the moderators combine threads and add posts from another thread.  

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

What I have seen from time to time happens when posts have been deleted from a thread or the moderators combine threads and add posts from another thread.  

Gotcha.  One of the two is showing up now.  I'll watch for the missing one to come back.

1 hour ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Yes.  "My Activity Stream" is simply the name I used for the custom stream.

It's worked well ever since the conversion to this software.  But recently it's been dropping a thread or two.  The first thread to drop seemed to be fixed by logging out and back in.  And a recently added thread showed up at first but was gone the next day.

You might double check the stream definition, Show Filters (above the list).

If you follow the threads, new postings will also appear in your notification list. Not ideal, but at least you won't miss posts if you check notifications.

8 minutes ago, broberts said:

You might double check the stream definition, Show Filters (above the list).

If you follow the threads, new postings will also appear in your notification list. Not ideal, but at least you won't miss posts if you check notifications.

Just now I couldn't find Show Filters.  I'll check again....or maybe you'll send info.

I did get the missing thread back by increasing the Time Period setting.  I changed it from four to 26 weeks.  But that shouldn't have made a difference because both of the "missing" threads I've been talking about had new content in just the last day or two.

24 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Just now I couldn't find Show Filters.  I'll check again....or maybe you'll send info.

I did get the missing thread back by increasing the Time Period setting.  I changed it from four to 26 weeks.  But that shouldn't have made a difference because both of the "missing" threads I've been talking about had new content in just the last day or two.

Screenshot_20230815_133642_Chrome.jpg.4cdb875a4fe92db3ce901753df3a966a.jpg

Interesting about the time period. It's been some time since I looked at this. My recollection is that there were two time periods, when the thread was created and when the last entry was made. Either my memory is faulty or things have changed - even odds on which. 🙂  Could it be that Time Period is refering to thread creation date?

Edited by broberts

57 minutes ago, broberts said:

Interesting about the time period. It's been some time since I looked at this. My recollection is that there were two time periods, when the thread was created and when the last entry was made. Either my memory is faulty or things have changed - even odds on which. 🙂  Could it be that Time Period is refering to thread creation date?

I don't see Show Filters.  Here's what I see (I'm on a Mac using Safari):

image.thumb.png.50778026da6ed4986b4cb1d462893b7f.png

18 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

I don't see Show Filters.  Here's what I see (I'm on a Mac using Safari):

8!aimage.thumb.png.50778026da6ed4986b4cb1d462893b7f.png

Very different display, my PC is similar. In reading the filter text "I am following and posted in for the last 182 days." suggests that the user must have a post within the Time Period. Had you not posted in the missing threads for some time?

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Very different display, my PC is similar. In reading the filter text "I am following and posted in for the last 182 days." suggests that the user must have a post within the Time Period. Had you not posted in the missing threads for some time?

Could be.  I rarely post in these threads.  Seems like that shouldn't matter, I just want the stream to show me new activity since my last log on...and 99.9% of the time it does that.  But once in a while...something messes up.

Edited by Paul from Maryland
  • Like 1

Just to wrap this up, my custom activity stream now seems to be working fine.  Only thing I changed was the time period.  

I'll try Chrome (instead of Safari) later to see if the Show Filters option appears.

Also took the opportunity to change my Cruise Critic user name from Paul from Maryland to DeltaOne.

3 hours ago, DeltaOne said:

I'll try Chrome (instead of Safari) later to see if the Show Filters option appears.

The Show Filters link is just a contraction of the display fragment you posted. It only appears on devices that the CC software considers to narrow for the full display.

3 hours ago, broberts said:

The Show Filters link is just a contraction of the display fragment you posted. It only appears on devices that the CC software considers to narrow for the full display.

Ah, makes sense.  I was already seeing the full filters menu...so no need to display Show Filters.  Thanks.