Balitmore pre cruise

marcyjane

23 minutes ago, marcyjane said:

Looking for a tour company that offers tours with pick up from Balitmore hotel to Washington, DC.  

Any information or help would be appreciated. 

I don’t know about an organized tour, but I am originally from the DC area.  Worked downtown for more than two decades.  DC is very easy to do on your own.  I would take a cab/Uber to the Amtrak station at BWI.  (There may also be a station in downtown Baltimore.  Honestly I don’t remember, but check Amtrak’s website.) It’s maybe a half hour/45 minute train ride to Union Station in DC.  That will drop you within two blocks of Capital Hill and the National Mall.  Get off the train and wander.  The Smithsonian museums line the mall.  The other end of the mall is the Washington Monument and the White House.   There is also a Metro Station right at Union Station if you want to explore more,  it’s easily navigated.  Just go on your own and explore.  It’s a great city.  

There is also an Amtrak station in Baltimore. Maryland Transit (MARC) train also goes into Union Station in DC. DC has alot of various bus tours, including hop on/hop off.

If you want a White House tour, you need to request one from your Member of Congress, the earlier the better. All the Smithsonian museums and monuments, including the National zoo are free too.

3 hours ago, marcyjane said:

Looking for a tour company that offers tours with pick up from Balitmore hotel to Washington, DC.  

Any information or help would be appreciated. 

Baltimore is not the nicest city or area. Think about staying in DC and driving or Uber to the port on day of cruise. 

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Baltimore is not the nicest city or area. Think about staying in DC and driving or Uber to the port on day of cruise. 

This is funny that you have no idea where OP is staying, but you paint Baltimore with a broad stroke, yet you give all of DC a pass.  so you could be telling the OP to give up their nice Inner Harbor hotel to get a room in Barry farms in DC.....SMH  To the OP, as I'm sure you probably already know, you're totally fine with your current plans

• Like 3

9 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

There is also an Amtrak station in Baltimore. Maryland Transit (MARC) train also goes into Union Station in DC. DC has alot of various bus tours, including hop on/hop off.

If you want a White House tour, you need to request one from your Member of Congress, the earlier the better. All the Smithsonian museums and monuments, including the National zoo are free too.

Thanks!  I’ve been out of the area for many years.  I forgot about the MARC train.  😃

7 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

This is funny that you have no idea where OP is staying, but you paint Baltimore with a broad stroke, yet you give all of DC a pass.  so you could be telling the OP to give up their nice Inner Harbor hotel to get a room in Barry farms in DC.....SMH  To the OP, as I'm sure you probably already know, you're totally fine with your current plans

Completely agree!  I’m a Washingtonian, but also love Baltimore.  The Inner Harbor and Fells Point are fabulous.  You can take a water taxi between the two - at least there used to be one.  It’s been many years since I’ve been there.  In Baltimore I would find a crab house and get a dozen crabs and a few cold beers.  Yum!  This thread is making me homesick.  😂

Edited by Russiamomm
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marcyjane said:

Thank you all for you replies and suggestions 

Don't worry about staying in Baltimore, it's totally fine. Like any big city (including DC) there are good areas and bad areas. Just be careful and aware of your surroundings like in any place. The inner harbor of Baltimore is fine. The cruise port is so close, no need to stay an hour away. You can see the cruise ships from I-95 as you are driving through Baltimore. 

The Amtrak station in Baltimore isn't that far away from the Inner Harbor (you'll need to take a taxi, uber, lyft, etc) and then you can take a train to Union Station. This hop on/hop off bus actually has a stop at Union Station, so it would be easy to get around.

https://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/map

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marcyjane said:

Thank you all for you replies and suggestions 

I really hate to be a Debbie Downer, but downtown Baltimore is a dump. Don't walk around at night. I'm serious. I have close friends who live there and they tell me the homelessness, crime and general dirtiness are getting worse and worse. I was meeting friends for lunch a couple of years ago, and a guy begging at the stoplight asked if I had any money. I said "no," whereupon he spotted a couple of dollars near my cup-holder and accused me of lying to him. Wow.