updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

On 10/13/2023 at 1:32 AM, 2cruisecats said:

We sent the link from the Australian Health to our TA who then contacted Viking.  Response "no change" and "any future changes would be reflected on the Viking site". I wonder if they, like other lines, are slow in updating their sites.  We do travel with a test kit and if those results really are acceptable, no issue.  But if we need to find a test place in Sydney before sailing -- that's the challenge.

I contacted Viking via their contact messenger on their website - this is the reply I had today - 

‘Good afternoon Leigh,

Thank you for contacting Viking with your below query. 

We are in the midst of updating our Covid testing policy and once done, will be in line with the Government requirements. 

These testing requirements were in place for our previous season and have yet to be updated due to our first departure in AU not being until next month. 

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,‘

• Like 5

On 10/15/2023 at 11:22 PM, possum52 said:

I contacted Viking via their contact messenger on their website - this is the reply I had today - 

‘Good afternoon Leigh,

Thank you for contacting Viking with your below query. 

We are in the midst of updating our Covid testing policy and once done, will be in line with the Government requirements. 

These testing requirements were in place for our previous season and have yet to be updated due to our first departure in AU not being until next month. 

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,‘

Thank You so much for making that Viking contact!  

We are so looking forward to our Australia & New Zealand trip -- 3rd attempt! Sadly we only have one day in Melbourne.  We did not book a shore excursion as want to wander & explore but if you have any recommendations for that day they'd be appreciated.   

Edited by 2cruisecats

7 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

We are so looking forward to our Australia & New Zealand trip -- 3rd attempt! Sadly we only have one day in Melbourne.  We did not book a shore excursion as want to wander & explore but if you have any recommendations for that day they'd be appreciated.   

What are your interests? Give me an idea of what you you like to see and do and I can provide some suggestions.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:43 PM, 2cruisecats said:

There is lots to see and do in Melbourne, so an excellent place to just wander and explore.

There is a Melbourne Laneways and Arcades Self Guided Walking Tour.  I love exploring the laneways and arcades and finding new cafes to try in Melbourne.  If the weather isn't favourable, I escape into one of the excellent Museums or Art Galleries.  

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 4:58 PM, possum52 said:

What are your interests? Give me an idea of what you you like to see and do and I can provide some suggestions.

We really like to wander and see interesting areas.  Take pix of the architecture while wandering cities or pix of nice scenes on country drives. And, as Melbourne is "a safe city" according to travel sites, wandering it is. If it is pouring - an interesting museum works. I know the my DH was disappointed that the Laneways tour was sold out but we figure a bus to the city would get us to some interesting areas.  (Viking often provides a shuttle service) Looking at Sydney & Melbourne maps is on our to-do list before we fly to NZ.  (My DH would bet $ for me to say I want penguins but I know, sadly, not an option due to port times.).  

2 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

We really like to wander and see interesting areas.  Take pix of the architecture while wandering cities or pix of nice scenes on country drives. And, as Melbourne is "a safe city" according to travel sites, wandering it is. If it is pouring - an interesting museum works. I know the my DH was disappointed that the Laneways tour was sold out but we figure a bus to the city would get us to some interesting areas.  (Viking often provides a shuttle service) Looking at Sydney & Melbourne maps is on our to-do list before we fly to NZ.  (My DH would bet $ for me to say I want penguins but I know, sadly, not an option due to port times.).  

You don't need an organised Laneways tour to enjoy Melbourne's Laneways and Arcades.  You can just explore yourselves at your own pace. 

melbourne laneways & Arcades walk

iconic laneways and arcades walk - what's on Melbourne

the best laneways and arcades in Melbourne - Time Out

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

If you want to see penguins, a visit to the Melbourne Sealife Aquarium situated on Flinders Street is a suggestion. They do have a special penguin experience which is expensive but you may like to consider it.   Penguin Experience

As both Marion and Geoff have given you information on the lanes and arcades. All I will add to that is don't miss the Block and Royal Arcades, they are beautiful example of Victorian architecture. 

Melbourne also has beautiful gardens and parks right on the doorstep of the central business district (CBD) which are worth a walk to. In the CBD, trams are free so you don't need a Myki card to use them. A walk along the Yarra River to the sporting precinct is interesting - Melbourne Cricket Ground AFL football and cricket), Melbourne Park where the Australian Open Tennis tournament is played and AAMI Park where rugby and soccer are played. All three complexes also hold concerts. 

Enjoy your day in Melbourne, whatever you choose to do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And don't forget St Kilda beach, just a tram ride away, with its iconic pier. Does Acland St still have those amazing shops, and that great bookshop?

The pier is being rebuilt and redeveloped Julie. St Kilda Pier Redevelopment 

Do you mean Acland Street? Readings Book Shop which I think was called Cosmos is still operating. Do you mean the cake shops? If so, yes they are still there. 

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The pier is being rebuilt and redeveloped Julie. St Kilda Pier Redevelopment 

Do you mean Acland Street? Readings Book Shop which I think was called Cosmos is still operating. Do you mean the cake shops? If so, yes they are still there. 

Yes, the cake shops. A feast for the eyes let alone the tummy! 

Shame about the pier being out of action but it looks like it will be really good when it's finished.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2023 at 5:19 PM, possum52 said:

If you want to see penguins, a visit to the Melbourne Sealife Aquarium situated on Flinders Street is a suggestion. They do have a special penguin experience which is expensive but you may like to consider it.   Penguin Experience

As both Marion and Geoff have given you information on the lanes and arcades. All I will add to that is don't miss the Block and Royal Arcades, they are beautiful example of Victorian architecture. 

Melbourne also has beautiful gardens and parks right on the doorstep of the central business district (CBD) which are worth a walk to. In the CBD, trams are free so you don't need a Myki card to use them. A walk along the Yarra River to the sporting precinct is interesting - Melbourne Cricket Ground AFL football and cricket), Melbourne Park where the Australian Open Tennis tournament is played and AAMI Park where rugby and soccer are played. All three complexes also hold concerts. 

Enjoy your day in Melbourne, whatever you choose to do.

Thank you so much for all your ideas for a Melbourne day.  We followed the arcades & lanes maps the wandered some more.  Nice lunch. Great coffee and gelato on this hot day. DH is a happy photographer!

• Like 2