Jewelry

Denali2003

My wife enjoys wearing fun jewelry as well…I shared that for Denali and others considering spending good $$$ on jewelry in port (or anywhere for that matter).

It actually takes very little research to understand the difference between junk and quality, but how many day visitors leave these ports after spending thousands of $$$ on mediocre jewelry? That’s a rhetorical question of course…☺️

I'm not too picky about the rings I wear.  I don't care if the stone is fake or not.  If I like the stone/color and I can afford it, I will buy it.  I'm also on the thrifty side, so I do have a budget when it comes to jewelry.  When we were in St. Thomas in Dec 2019, I did find a store that was real close to the ship docked in Havensight.  I can't remember the name, but I did find a Tanzanite ring for a great price.  Is it real?  I don't know.  But I like the setting and it has an interesting band.  It's not a "straight" circle, it's kind of off set on each side.  I also like simple settings and on the small side (not tiny).  *my person opinion for myself* the rings that are out now are too big and gaudy for me.  Now, do I want a "Cracker Jack box / Gumball" ring?  No.

Each time we go on a cruise, I seem to be on the "hunt" for a specific piece of jewelry.  One time we were in Alaska (2010) and I wanted a Whale Tail necklace.  We went into several jewelry stores and none of them appealed to me.  My husband found one that was a few hundred dollars.  Nope, I didn't like it.  We were in a souvenir shop in Ketchikan and I found this whale tail necklace & earring set for only $25.  I LOVE it!!  I still have them and they are still in great condition.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:06 AM, Denali2003 said:

I'm actually looking for a Pink Sapphire (or a pink stone).  I don't want Effy, Diamonds International, etc.  The last time I was at St. Thomas, 99% of the stores we walked past, there were SO many pushy sales people, that it made our visit there, less than happy.  We did not go into those stores, because of their pushiness. 

I’ve always had good luck with Cardow Jewelers. They are downtown. Very reputable. Once I had a problem (a few months after I got home) and they paid for me to ship it back, repaired it and returned it to me. All no charge. PS hubby likes that place too because of the beer garden in back. 

Ms411 that place is nice. That Beer necklace is genius. She did that place up right. I'll be there next time on the way to the Windmill Bar. 

That's where I'm going straight from Havensight to Redhook to Cruz Bay to the Windmill, chillax, and have my share of brewskis.

Hey Ms411 think about this about how long does it take to get to or from the pier at Cruz Bay to the Windmill Bar?

Is it farther than Trunk Bay? 

It's not a problem I just want to make sure to catch the correct ferry back to Redhook. Thanks Todd 

On 10/15/2023 at 9:15 AM, Denali2003 said:

I'm not too picky about the rings I wear.  I don't care if the stone is fake or not.  If I like the stone/color and I can afford it, I will buy it.  I'm also on the thrifty side, so I do have a budget when it comes to jewelry.  When we were in St. Thomas in Dec 2019, I did find a store that was real close to the ship docked in Havensight.  I can't remember the name, but I did find a Tanzanite ring for a great price.  Is it real?  I don't know.  But I like the setting and it has an interesting band.  It's not a "straight" circle, it's kind of off set on each side.  I also like simple settings and on the small side (not tiny).  *my person opinion for myself* the rings that are out now are too big and gaudy for me.  Now, do I want a "Cracker Jack box / Gumball" ring?  No.

Each time we go on a cruise, I seem to be on the "hunt" for a specific piece of jewelry.  One time we were in Alaska (2010) and I wanted a Whale Tail necklace.  We went into several jewelry stores and none of them appealed to me.  My husband found one that was a few hundred dollars.  Nope, I didn't like it.  We were in a souvenir shop in Ketchikan and I found this whale tail necklace & earring set for only $25.  I LOVE it!!  I still have them and they are still in great condition.

My wife likes to find something unique, or symbolic of each destination we visit too, whether cruising or staying on land. For the VI it was the Hook bracelet from St John Bracelets. She prefers yellow gold, but they designed a bracelet for her that day that incorporated both silver and yellow gold and she hasn’t taken it off in years…the quality in materials and workmanship is amazing.

She found a bracelet in another destination that she loves, and it is just plastic costume jewelry. So it doesn’t have to be expensive as you said.

Early in our cruising travels DI was a popular shop, but the typical stone quality is poor, even for the price. But still an option for watches…

But just wanted to share her learning experiences here for anyone interested; You can definitely get better quality at a better price when it matters…

On 10/18/2023 at 1:16 AM, Mimie03 said:

I’ve always had good luck with Cardow Jewelers. They are downtown. Very reputable. Once I had a problem (a few months after I got home) and they paid for me to ship it back, repaired it and returned it to me. All no charge. PS hubby likes that place too because of the beer garden in back. 

Yes Cardow has been our go-to on STT as well, just a much better experience, and they also had unique items the other ships did not, like a diamond/sapphire ‘flip ring”…

7 minutes ago, blue_water said:

My wife likes to find something unique, or symbolic of each destination we visit too, whether cruising or staying on land. For the VI it was the Hook bracelet from St John Bracelets. She prefers yellow gold, but they designed a bracelet for her that day that incorporated both silver and yellow gold and she hasn’t taken it off in years. 

Is this place downtown or near the port? I’d love to go check them out too. 

28 minutes ago, Mimie03 said:

Is this place downtown or near the port? I’d love to go check them out too. 

Sorry no, it is in Cruz Bay on St John…

We have recommended them to others who have checked out their website and had a bracelet waiting for them when they arrived. 
https://www.facebook.com/stjbraco1/

The Hook bracelet is a symbol of love…If the open end of the hook is pointed up toward the heart, your love is taken... if the the open end of the hook is worn down, away from your heart, your love is free…

Cruz Bay is a nice change of pace from Charlotte Amalie. If on a cruise we would go straight there and enjoy one of the beaches then drinks at the Beach Bar or another spot after shopping…😉

[EDIT] We looked at Hook bracelets in many of the shops on STT and the quality and workmanship (peening and wrapping, for example), does not come close to the STJ bracelet…

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ms411 said:

TTEllis, I'm wondering if the STJ taxi drivers are offering Windmill Bar as a destination from the dock? If so, that makes it easier. I may go to St John Saturday so will check.

Thank you. Appreciate it.👌

I love stainless steel bracelets I just started wearing stainless last year after years of just wearing gold. 

Stainless wears well, is incredibly durable and looks great the idea that's it's so affordable doesn't hurt a thing either. Stainless goes great as an addition to wearing a blingy watch.

Plus it's not so difficult to find stainless steel bracelets in 9 1/2 inch range or any size range for that matter. 

Stainless steel jewelry and I'm a different kind of picky when it comes to bling, stainless steel is the new awesome. My stainless bracelets wear as well as my gold one's do. 

I love stainless.👍

3 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Here's the current one. They're using stainless for the most part so almost everybody can afford one, and it doesn't need polishing. I still prefer the hook bracelet or the West Indian bangle.

https://vijewelry.com/products/unisex-virgin-islands-bangle-gold

That's nice!! Love bangles too. It's just difficult to find one that fits. Thanks.

21 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Here's the current one. They're using stainless for the most part so almost everybody can afford one, and it doesn't need polishing. I still prefer the hook bracelet or the West Indian bangle.

https://vijewelry.com/products/unisex-virgin-islands-bangle-gold

Yes that’s a very contemporary or mod style steel bangle, a far cry from the traditional Hook bracelet. I’m sure there are many inexpensive styles to choose from today.

This design in particular is smooth and sleek, and doesn’t incorporate the peening. A quality peening adds to the cost of the bracelet of course. The model you shared is gold-plated, stainless steel. Others are non-plated SS, and anodized SS, and all will show wear and staining as noted in the ads…But if not expected to be worn constantly, or in the shower, pool or sea that helps.

On 10/19/2023 at 4:41 PM, TTEllis said:

Thank you. Appreciate it.👌

A storm is predicted to hit tomorrow, so won't go to St John until either Sunday or next week. 

I may work on my Halloween t-shirt using something made in VI so I can post a pic. People here get really creative with t-shirts, and it inspires me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ms411 said:

A storm is predicted to hit tomorrow, so won't go to St John until either Sunday or next week. 

I may work on my Halloween t-shirt using something made in VI so I can post a pic. People here get really creative with t-shirts, and it inspires me.

No worries thank you.

Don't forget to post a pic.

Thanks!!

Have a nice weekend. 

3 hours ago, Ms411 said:

You guys need to get a room! Lol… But these quieter threads are a good place to chat…

Edited by blue_water
Typo

On 10/19/2023 at 11:52 AM, Ms411 said:

TTEllis, I'm wondering if the STJ taxi drivers are offering Windmill Bar as a destination from the dock? If so, that makes it easier. I may go to St John Saturday so will check.

So on a cruise visit what would you recommend the best way for me to get to the Windmill Bar on St. John?? In the event taxi drivers don't go there.😳

Will answer next week.😊 The storm is delayed until tomorrow now, so maybe I can go Monday. There are things I need to do over there that I either keep putting off, or it was so hot over there I hurried back to St Thomas. 

Whenever you can. No worries.

I was on the ferry from Cruz Bay back to Red Hook and sat upstairs on the ferry my forehead got sizzleaned off.

It is a different kind of hot over there. Thanks just keep me in mind on that I have a genuine interest in going to this bar next time I'm on the island. 

I didn't get to go over to St. John last time because of the hurricane, I'm looking forward to going back and that bar I could make a long afternoon there. Thanks

Btw did they ever clean up Caneel Bay?

Last couple of times I was there it looked like a bomb went off down there. Thank you.