Thinking of Regent - Question on food

dcbiker97

Hi everyone. We're longtime Celebrity (usually Royal or PH suite) cruisers and are looking to branch out to try something else. One of the things that is most important for us is how a ship handles special issues with food. He has a number of allergies (seafood, shellfish) in addition to having some very specific health-related needs (like having to have soft foods).  In Luminae, Celebrity's suite restaurant, we can look at the next night's menu and if there's nothing that my partner can eat, they will make him anything he wants (well if they have it). I'm assuming that Regent will bend over backwards to accommodate him, but wanted to hear from folks that have sailed Regent. Thanks! (And apologies for a food post)

I have a food allergy and they give me the menus day ahead and work with me on every ship. But you will probably need to eat in the main dinning room.. Compass Rose not the buffet as there are different kitchens.

1 hour ago, cwn said:

I have a food allergy and they give me the menus day ahead and work with me on every ship. But you will probably need to eat in the main dinning room.. Compass Rose not the buffet as there are different kitchens.

I have a shellfish allergy.  They gave me the next day's menus to the MDR for lunch and dinner and Sette Mari (the buffet restaurant that becomes an Italian restaurant) for dinner each afternoon.  When we had reservations at a specialty dining restaurant the following evening, they gave me the menus to those venues.  I would make lunch and dinner selections from them (I would select one dinner venue, obviously), and drop them off at the MDR or Sette Mari that evening (that is, the evening before I would be eating at the venues).  The next day, my allergies and food choices would be confirmed with me at lunch and dinner.  

And @cwn is correct: nothing is guaranteed at buffets, though they do their best.

I was told on the Splendor in Dec that they could not provide food safe for my allergy anywhere except from the CR kitchen  where they had the means to could cook my food separately and prevent cross contamination. It was not a problem on the Navigator later. 

We did not enjoy our first time on the Splendor for a number of reasons and this was just one. Precovid on the Mariner and Navigator and later this year on the Navigator, I have had the service you describe. It may just be s failing of the heavier passenger load of the newer ships that there was less personal service.

1 hour ago, ysolde said:

I have a shellfish allergy.  They gave me the next day's menus to the MDR for lunch and dinner and Sette Mari (the buffet restaurant that becomes an Italian restaurant) for dinner each afternoon.  When we had reservations at a specialty dining restaurant the following evening, they gave me the menus to those venues.  I would make lunch and dinner selections from them (I would select one dinner venue, obviously), and drop them off at the MDR or Sette Mari that evening (that is, the evening before I would be eating at the venues).  The next day, my allergies and food choices would be confirmed with me at lunch and dinner.  

And @cwn is correct: nothing is guaranteed at buffets, though they do their best.

2 hours ago, aunteemom said:

Do you let Regent know prior to cruise?

I did and it is in my record. But I always check in with dinning room also.

Your TA can contact Regent with your information. 

I have an anything that comes out the sea allergy, why has been stated above is absolutely correct, the only safe place to eat is compass rose. Just something to remember we were on a 70 night cruise and I worked out that I lost about 50% of the menu with my allergy, so around the halfway mark, I had a very little moan about this as I had more or less gone through the whole menu of non sea menu (I was surprised at how much meat option contained fish sauce such as stir fry) and our waiter got the big boss over, he offered to cook anything I wanted along as he had 24 hour notice, I like a spicy stir fry (without fish sauce) so I asked for a non fish stir fry, they concocted the best beef stir fry I every had, only problem it wasn’t quiet spiced enough, next time it was perfect. What amazed me was when I spoke to the chef to thank him for looking after me at the end of the cruise, I asked what was done with the left overs, the reply was the meal was only cooked for me, once I had eaten anything left over was thrown away.

You haven’t to worry along as they have the ingredients they will cook whatever you want, they just need 24 hours notice. Oh and another thing we had booked some culinary course, I wasn’t allowed to attend these after conversation with the chef as they couldn’t guarantee my safety, but I had heard a whisper that this might not be the case now, so it might be worth checking. My wife who loves fish, had fish for the whole 70 nights as we can’t have fish in the house, she love her cruises for that reason.

It is important to let Regent know of your allergies, they will try to get you to select your meal 24 hours before. 

Edited by charltonkerry
  • Like 2