Naples excursion ideas for 7 hours - Pompeii and Positano possible?

vicd1969

My ship is scheduled to dock in Naples in July 2024 for only from 11 AM to 7 PM, meaning effectively 7.5 hours available. And the ferry schedules don't seem convenient given the later arrival of the ship. Adding a buffer of 30 minutes, would a 7-hour excursion to both Pompeii and Positano be possible? Or maybe something between Naples and Positano and then Positano? We'd look to book a private tour, given the large number of people in my travelling group. 

One or the other, but not both with such a short port day.  Is this a Costa cruise?  It really is unusually short for Naples.

You could have a driver pick you up at the ship and head right to the Amalfi Coast.  To avoid the slow drive back, you might consider having them drop you off at Sorrento at the end of the day and taking the ferry back to Naples.

13 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

Or maybe something between Naples and Positano and then Positano?

I also think that is too short a day for both and July will be one of the busiest summer months.

And new traffic control and parking  restrictions were introduced this summer on that route.

And a stop at Positano can be one of two things.

You may find you are only stopping on the upper road with a view down to Positano and this would be a faster option than trying to actually visit and stroll around Positano, an option which brings its own challenges.  There have been several recent posts about the logistics of an in-person visit and I suggest you read them. Use the SEARCH tool under your user name to find them and when searching, stay on the GENERAL Italy Ports forum, not an individual thread.

This is one thread you may find interesting to read but there will be others:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2938398-positano-parking-fee/#comment-65396582

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree - one or the other. And if it's Positano you want to see, make it Positano.  It was really what I wanted to see in 2019 and booked a tour KNOWING I probably would only get a glimpse of it from above. I enjoyed my time at Pompeii and Sorrento but if it's Positano that's your #1, go there!

I just booked a cruise last week back to Italy/Greece for next September.  We stop in Naples for 12 hours and I don't care how it happens, but I am getting to Positano this time. 😜