Your experience with lost luggage, no service by X at all.

SoBe2010

5 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Aren’t the luggage loaders/unloaders the crew?

No, crew members don't handle the luggage until it is put onboard.  The people handling the luggage dockside are longshoremen or their foreign equivalent. 

4 hours ago, bavrail18 said:

Porters load the luggage on carts and wheel them into the terminal. The bags get unloaded to go through the x-ray machine.

I have never checked my cruise luggage and had it wheeled into a terminal.  I have usually checked luggage dockside where it is placed into very large rectangular aluminum racks, some with a latch that closes and some that use a tarp to prevent bags from falling out of the rack. 

I have also boarded cruises overseas, where just like some airports our luggage was x-rayed in our presence and the presence of a line representative. We then had to carry it to from there to the dockside loader who placed into one of the large racks for loading aboard the ship.  

SANTA CRUZ, TENERIFE/SPAIN - NOVEMBER 15: Unidentified Men Loading ...

The racks are moved along side ship and loaded aboard.

Loading luggage

I do not know if luggage is x-rayed before or after it is loaded aboard. Regardless of when it happens someone from the ship or representing the line will be present during the x-ray process.  They are there to confiscate items not permitted aboard.

In Brooklyn a while ago, DH's bag wasn't where it ws supposed to be.  A person working there walked the entire terminal with him, and they found it in a completely different section of the terminal, without the tag.  I contacted Princess because we had a car waiting and were charged extra for the wait time.  They gave us a nice OBC on our next cruise for it.  Now we have air tags.

Last year, we were walking down the hall to our room on embarkation day and my sister noticed a small bag of hers at someone else door.

We put an “AirTag” in our bags. Fairly recently United Airlines had a piece of our luggage that didn’t turn  up after a rerouting due to a flight cancelation. Couldn’t get info from United. Instead I had to tell them where it was. Then when AirTag showed it was at our local airport, there was nobody at the airport I could speak to via phone to confirm. I drove the 20 miles there, and the AirTag was accurate. AirTags are great, but a bit I’d accessible customer service would be great too. Now, if I forget to pick up a bag, it ultimately is on me. But I would like a phone number to call, and somebody to answer, so I could ask where it is. Same with the one that was wrongfully picked up and returned. 

3 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

We put an “AirTag” in our bags. Fairly recently United Airlines had a piece of our luggage that didn’t turn  up after a rerouting due to a flight cancelation. Couldn’t get info from United. Instead I had to tell them where it was. Then when AirTag showed it was at our local airport, there was nobody at the airport I could speak to via phone to confirm. I drove the 20 miles there, and the AirTag was accurate. AirTags are great, but a bit I’d accessible customer service would be great too. Now, if I forget to pick up a bag, it ultimately is on me. But I would like a phone number to call, and somebody to answer, so I could ask where it is. Same with the one that was wrongfully picked up and returned. 

They sometimes help, although it can take a while for them to update.  On our recent Hawaii cruise, DH's bag was delivered during dinner.  Looking at the airtag location, it appeared to still be in the terminal when we went to dinner (ship had left), but the Guest services staff said no bags were left.

He did once leave his Ipad on an Air Canada plane.  He was able to trace to the Montreal airport.  Eventually, and a 100 dollar plus shipping fee he got it back.

I also have AirTags on my bags.    In order for them to update location they have to have an iPhone come in relative close contact with them that is attached to a network. 

Abby - I would have thought someone with an iPhone would have walked down your hallway and grab the location. 

I thought it was funny checking my FindMy app while on an airplane and my bag must have been close to a passenger on board because it kept updating it's location as we flew cross country. 

I don’t know, but with AirTags we were able to track our “lost” bag as it flew from Denver to SW Colorado. Like all “computer stuff” it isn’t perfect. But it is better than trying to speak to people who don’t answer the phone anymore. With us, we charge all our travel on AmEx platinum. We have an $1K per bag lost luggage benefit. So it actually might be better if the bag was never found?  Even though a bag might be lost by my own fault, I would like to have better contact info than we have now. People make mistakes. But we would still like to get info about the bag. Have you ever tried to get Celebrity customer service on the phone? If you try, you need more patience than I have. Celebrity should be easier to call up, if only to ask how to contact the port about luggage (as if anybody would answer the phone there).