Is Livorno/Pisa/Florence often skipped?

Purple_Pig

Hoping for some advice or experiences.

Planning our trip and debating what to do from land before boarding and what to do as a shore excursion.

We absolutely want to see Florence.  Debating doing it as a shore excursion (much more convenient) or as a day trip from Rome before the cruise.  A day trip would be a very long day and we're already doing Pompeii as a day trip.

Can anyone share how often that port is at risk for being skipped?  It is infamous like Roatan where it is maybe 50/50 you will get to dock?  Or is it very likely to dock?  Have no experience with the weather and sea conditions in that area of the world.

Any insight would be very appreciated!

TIA

21 minutes ago, Purple_Pig said:

Debating doing it as a shore excursion (much more convenient) or as a day trip from Rome before the cruise

Actually it is the other way around. if you want to "see Florence"The shorexes to Florence from Livorno will probably  be a huge disappointment to you as you will have only a tiny amount of time in Florence and won't get to see much at all, (at least IMHO) And be aware that some sights require pre-booked timed entry. Much better to do it as a day trip from Rome as there are high speed trains and you won't have the same time constraints. And if you are hotel based you can return to Rome whenever you want in the evening. That way you can plan your day in Florence to your own personal interests.

It is surely unusual is it not, for a Pompeii visit to be a full day?  Although you could easily spend a couple of full days exploring the huge site, for most folks, given the amount of walking coupled with summer (if that is the season you will visit )heat and crowds, 2-3 hours maximum is more common.

I never heard of Livorno being skipped, but perhaps others have.

Edited by edinburgher

Missing the port in Livorno is an extremely rare occurrence. (Same with Civitavecchia.). I can think of only 2-3 times I have ever seen it reported on these boards or in reviews and I've been here for about 18 years now, lol.

@edinburgher I suspect the OP means that they are taking a day trip from Rome to see Pompeii -- so with the transportation and time spent at the site, it's certainly more than you could do in half a day.  (Of course, speaking only for myself, there have been times when I've spent an entire day there. More than once. 😁 )

We missed Livorno on our first Med cruise back in September 2007.  The sea that night was the roughest we have ever experienced.  We anchored in the bay off La Spezia and tendered in.

We had a ship's tour to Cinque Terre booked for the day, so it actually worked out very well for us.  Tour buses were diverted so those going to Florence did go, but for a shorter time.

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I suspect the OP means that they are taking a day trip from Rome to see Pompeii -

OOPS  Must admit that thought never crossed my mind, because why do Pompeii from Rome unless of course the OP has already visited many of the Roman sights on previous visits.

OP didn't give an itinerary, but with Rome (embark Civi?)  and Livorno mentioned, good chance that Naples is also included, in which case CruiserBruce in post #5 has the perfect (and easier) solution, and doing Pompeii from Naples will gain the OP half a day, as a half day (or a little more than half overall) from Naples is all that is normally needed, and having an overnight in Florence means that more time is available for sightseeing to suit their interests.