If a get an inside cabin on an Alaskan cruise tour, will the room at the lodge be "less than"?

dmccauley19

Thinking of a May 2024 cruisetour on Princess.  I'd rather spend less on the cabin and be able to spend more days on the land portion.  Will the lodge rooms at the Princess lodges be of a lower quality than if I booked a balcony room on the ship?  Thanks for your comments.

We took a Princess land tour this summer—Heart of the Rockies.  Had seven nights on land followed by a seven night cruise.  It was pricey so we also opted for an inside cabin on the cruise.  We did not notice any difference in our land accommodations compared to our travel companions (some of which were in suites).  A few folks wanted to upgrade but that option was not available.  

I do have to mention that the land accommodations were great—only stayed at Fairmont hotels on the tour!  It was a great tour!

• Like 1

Since we live about a two hour drive north of the entrance to Denali National Park we have stayed at the Denali Princess complex I don't know how many times -- sometime more than once in a summer.  We have also stayed multiple times at the McKinley View Princess as when we are driving home from Seward its location puts us closer to home.

Each of the rooms at both of these Princess facilities is essentially the same.  I have never thought that some of the rooms were of "lower" quality.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 4:12 PM, disneyochem said:

We took a Princess land tour this summer—Heart of the Rockies.  Had seven nights on land followed by a seven night cruise.  It was pricey so we also opted for an inside cabin on the cruise.  We did not notice any difference in our land accommodations compared to our travel companions (some of which were in suites).  A few folks wanted to upgrade but that option was not available.  

I do have to mention that the land accommodations were great—only stayed at Fairmont hotels on the tour!  It was a great tour!

I would love to do this tour! I didn't realize Princess still offered this.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I would love to do this tour! I didn't realize Princess still offered this.

It was one of the best trips we’ve ever done!  The land tour consisted of a dedicated tour host and driver, only 26 people, the majority of meals, and staying only at Fairmont hotels.  The Canadian Rockies were spectacular.  We enjoyed it so much that we’re going back next with the same tour company Princess used.

Our view of Lake Louise from our hotel…

E9334D64-D1F0-45D2-84B0-18656BA64638.jpeg

17 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

It was one of the best trips we’ve ever done!  The land tour consisted of a dedicated tour host and driver, only 26 people, the majority of meals, and staying only at Fairmont hotels.  The Canadian Rockies were spectacular.  We enjoyed it so much that we’re going back next with the same tour company Princess used.

Our view of Lake Louise from our hotel…

E9334D64-D1F0-45D2-84B0-18656BA64638.jpeg

Gorgeous! Did they use Rocky Mountaineer?

I have looked at them and they are $$$$ but I hear worth it. Did you do Silverleaf or Goldleaf?

Edited by Coral

48 minutes ago, Coral said:

Gorgeous! Did they use Rocky Mountaineer?

I have looked at them and they are $$$$ but I hear worth it. Did you do Silverleaf or Goldleaf?

Yes, we took the Rocky Mountaineer from Jasper to Vancouver.  Princess cruise tour only offered the Silverleaf.  We enjoyed the experience!  Yep, pricey but OMG, the scenery and experiences!   We’d do it again in a heartbeat!

8 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Yes, we took the Rocky Mountaineer from Jasper to Vancouver.  Princess cruise tour only offered the Silverleaf.  We enjoyed the experience!  Yep, pricey but OMG, the scenery and experiences!   We’d do it again in a heartbeat!

I have wanted to do this trip forever. Will you do goldleaf next time? Or is silver leaf enough? I just did a search and did see on Princess's website they did offer both when I searched. Though I didn't go any further to try to book.

I think there is a route that does Whistler. Or, you can do Whistler before your trip on your own (2 hours North of Vancouver). I am going up there for my 2nd time this year. 

I hope to do this tour some day! You are right it is expensive but everyone raves about it.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I have wanted to do this trip forever. Will you do goldleaf next time? Or is silver leaf enough? I just did a search and did see on Princess's website they did offer both when I searched. Though I didn't go any further to try to book.

I think there is a route that does Whistler. Or, you can do Whistler before your trip on your own (2 hours North of Vancouver). I am going up there for my 2nd time this year. 

I hope to do this tour some day! You are right it is expensive but everyone raves about it.

Nice that one can do Goldleaf through Princess.  We weren’t able to do it this past summer.

Yes, we’ll be doing the Whistler to Jasper route this time and Gold leaf cars are the only ones available (but we would be fine with Silverleaf again).  Route is called Rainforest to Gold Rush.  We’re pairing the train ride with a tour through Rocky Mountaineer.

Only been to Whistler once and am looking forward to going back.  I enjoyed your trip review of your visit there this past summer.  Helped us decide to start the trip there!

(Sorry OP for the tangent discussion!)

11 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Nice that one can do Goldleaf through Princess.  We weren’t able to do it this past summer.

Yes, we’ll be doing the Whistler to Jasper route this time and Gold leaf cars are the only ones available (but we would be fine with Silverleaf again).  Route is called Rainforest to Gold Rush.  We’re pairing the train ride with a tour through Rocky Mountaineer.

Only been to Whistler once and am looking forward to going back.  I enjoyed your trip review of your visit there this past summer.  Helped us decide to start the trip there!

I will be back in Whistler real soon. I planned a fall vacation there and then due to the dates, I struggled coming home only to figure out it is Thanksgiving in Canada. So I am getting on the Sapphire Princess doing a repo! Not sure if I will do a live or not.

(Sorry OP for the tangent discussion!)