Scared off by bad reviews, MSC Seascape

Nebr.cruiser

On 9/22/2023 at 12:13 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

to get a better price I'd advise to book farther out in advance. For example, when I booked our November cruise a year ago, the price was around $550 pp for a regular balcony for a 7 night cruise. Now the same cruise is $1,200+ pp for the same balcony.

I am looking at March 2025 cruises and right now they are around $550 pp for a balcony (with drinks and wifi). I will, however, wait to book until after our first MSC cruise this November. I know I can book and then cancel, which is what I did with our March 2024 cruise after I read a ton of negative Seascape reviews, but I still kept our November 2023 cruise, because we got a very good deal and a whole family is coming.

We have sailed on a number of different lines, including multiple cruises on MSC.  Please don’t be dissuaded by a few negative reviews about MSC on cruise critic. When you consider how many thousands of people cruise each year, a handful of negative reviews on CC doesn’t constitute a critical mass of opinion upon which you can rely. Similarly, condescending posts on cruise critic which imply that unless you’re in the yacht club, you are somehow sailing in a garbage scow or are of lesser social status are equally insipid.  We’ve sailed in the yacht club on MSC as well as outside the yacht club. I don’t doubt there are cruisers who are very much drawn to the milieu of the yacht club and/or the individualized attention and services.  However, because what is offered by the yacht club is not of particular importance to us, we simply don’t see the advantage in paying the additional cost. In fact, we actually have found some aspects of the yacht club experience not to be to our liking. In my opinion, it’s about objectively deciding what is important to you and then doing your research to determine whether or not a particular cruise line or ship is a match for those expectations. For some, that certainly will mean the yacht club is the only viable option.  For others, not so much. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

In fact, we actually have found some aspects of the yacht club experience not to be to our liking.

I agree with your assessment. However can you be more specific on "some aspects of the yacht club experience not to (your) liking" ? I want to know what I am missing. I want to be as you say "objective".

47 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

We have sailed on a number of different lines, including multiple cruises on MSC.  Please don’t be dissuaded by a few negative reviews about MSC on cruise critic.

thank you for your advice, but we already sailed on MSC in November and formed our own opinion of the MSC's steerage class cruises. We enjoyed some aspects, but not all.

It was the right decision for us personally to cancel our April 2024 cruise on MSC. We will revisit cruising with them at a later date, but we are not in a rush to come back to MSC any time soon.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 9/22/2023 at 1:47 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

Is bottled water complimentary on MSC in steerage without a drink package?

Is this about YC again?

In the nicest way mate, have a day off.

It's repetitive and anti-community and discussio. Listen to what the OP has put... share your view once, maybe twice, and then leave it.

Start a post about YC if you want, but stop commandeering every discussion with the same points.

And yes - water is complimentary (for guests booking out of UK at least).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ryan82 said:
On 9/21/2023 at 8:47 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Is this about YC again?

Touch a nerve ?

This question has nothing to do with YC and was asked 5 months ago.

P.S. Get off your high pony.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.