Bermuda tips and tidbits from our visit

cynt

We just returned from Bermuda via Liberty OTS. We spent the night in Bermuda Monday to Tuesday aboard the cruise ship. We enjoyed our 2 days in Bermuda. We have added it to our list of places to vacation. 

Day 1

We exited the ship later than I would have liked 9ish. Ship took longer than expected to clear.

We decided to get the 2 day pass, $31.50 pp. We purchased it because 1. the line to purchase tickets were long, very long. 2. The ticket line almost caused us to miss the ferry. 3. We were not going to lose precious time standing in line again. 

The ferry is huge and has an upper deck. Some of the top deck is covered from the sun but there isn't any Air condition. The lower deck is enclosed with nice plush seats and has AC.

Today was Cave day and Horse Shoe Bay day. We hopped on the ferry and took it to St. George. Once we docked in St. George, we asked the ferry operator how to get to the caves. We had to walk to the street, turn right and when we got to a bunch of steps we had to climb up the steps to the street level in order to catch the bus. We met some great Bermudians who reinforced the directions to the caves. There were several ferry passengers who also selected this route to the caves. We waited, and waited, and waited for a bus.

We arrived to the caves. We didn't have a reservation so we had a 45 minute wait. This was no problem. We didn't make a reservation because we were not sure on the timing of the ferry, busses, ship, etc. I'm glad we didn't make a reservation. 

I'm going to pause for the cause right here. 

I wish I would have known Bermuda is laid back, on Island time like in Hawaii. I have no problem with this but had I understood it before hand I would have thought out my transportation differently. Keep reading.

The Crystal cave tour was $24pp. If you are into caves go. If not, don't go. It's a one and done. The 80+ steps are not that bad. Three of us are pooh size and we did it. The steps are spaced out so you are not climbing up 80 steps one after another. The worst part is climbing the last set of steps to get out of the cave. The last 10 steps or so are grueling. Suck it up buttercup.  Left, right, left, right. And then there is an incline to walk up to get out of the entrance. We struggled but we did it. Fat and out of shape. 

Afterwards, everyone needed water and food. We had water and powerade from the convenience store at the bus stop. Make sure to grab something to drink before or after the cave excursion. 

We asked the tour guide which restaurant does he get his fish sandwich. He said Mama Mias. So our original plan was to get some Baileys ice cream and then a rum swizzle. But our plans changed since Baileys was closed. We started looking for the Blue Hole. We failed and grabbed a taxi to Mama Mias. Our plan was to catch the bus. We didn't want to walk back to the bus stop and we didn't want to wait.

Taxi driver took us straight to Mama's. 4 fish sandwiches later, we were stuffed. DELICIOUS!  The Waahoo fish is the filet mignon of the sea. We ordered it the way it came. 3 with cheese and one without cheese. It arrived fresh and hot. We don't know how this fish sandwich works but it does. It stacked high with layers of waahoo fish. We each ate about 2/3 of our sandwich. We knew we were at a great spot because the locals were coming and going the entire time we were there. Just go and get you one. 

Now we're stuffed and ready to head back to the ship. It was after 3pm by this time so we decided to move our Horse Shoe bay day to tomorrow. We walked to the bus stop and waited and waited and waited for our bus. 

The bus took us to downtown Hamilton bus hub. We thought it was taking us directly to the ferry. No, we had to walk to the ferry. It's not hard to find but you have a nice walk to the ferry. And everyone we asked just said walk to the water and you will see it. They left out the part that you have to turn down a couple of streets before you see the water. 

We caught the bus and headed back to the ship. We were still full and all needed naps. We didn't even stop and shop. Cabin, shower and nap.

20230918_101738.jpg

20230918_112449.jpg

20230918_112541.jpg

20230918_125123.jpg

20230919_125034.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, cynt said:

We asked the tour guide which restaurant does he get his fish sandwich. He said Mama Mias.

The chef at Cafe Ole who had a very highly rated fish sandwich is behind Mama Mias. The Caves thought they were too popular, using too many parking spaces, and he had to move on last March. He announced he would be opening Mama Mias. Yoiur post confirms he has opened the new restaurant. 

• Like 1