Not-so-free shore excursion

Doeymeister

A large on-line cruise agency (whom I won't mention by name since they're obviously a competitor of this site) recently offered a free shore excursion with NCL bookings. They did nothing wrong as the tickets were emailed to my daughter(who was taking the cruise), and she brought the printed email along. It clearly stated that the email was their ticket.

But, when they arrived on the Majesty, they found a pair of tickets waiting for them for the excursion. They assumed (wrongly) that they were supposed to use those tickets instead. And, you guessed it, when they checked out, there was a charge of $66 for the shore excursion. NCL refused to acknowledge that a mistake was made and would not remove the charge.

I can understand NCL's refusal since their tickets were used, but I thought I would warn others about this potential problem so they don't make the same mistake my daughter did.

A large on-line cruise agency (whom I won't mention by name since they're obviously a competitor of this site) recently offered a free shore excursion with NCL bookings. They did nothing wrong as the tickets were emailed to my daughter(who was taking the cruise), and she brought the printed email along. It clearly stated that the email was their ticket.

But, when they arrived on the Majesty, they found a pair of tickets waiting for them for the excursion. They assumed (wrongly) that they were supposed to use those tickets instead. And, you guessed it, when they checked out, there was a charge of $66 for the shore excursion. NCL refused to acknowledge that a mistake was made and would not remove the charge.

I can understand NCL's refusal since their tickets were used, but I thought I would warn others about this potential problem so they don't make the same mistake my daughter did.

Why doesn't she write the travel agency and send the copies of all the tickets to them as well as the bill. They should at least be able to refund the price of the tickets she didn't use. I suspect what happened is someone reserved the tour for them and just issued the tickets even those she was supposed to use the tickets that were sent and paid for by the TA. Like anything you get you need to know how to use it. Seems more like the TA's responsibility than NCL but you are right to give a warning! Good luck!

But, when they arrived on the Majesty, they found a pair of tickets waiting for them for the excursion.

If I had an email in one hand, and tickets for the same excursion waiting for me upon arrival at ship, I would have gone to shore excursion desk and cleared it up immediately. I would have shown them the email from the cruise agency and the tickets which were waiting for me and asked them which I should use.

If I had an email in one hand, and tickets for the same excursion waiting for me upon arrival at ship, I would have gone to shore excursion desk and cleared it up immediately. I would have shown them the email from the cruise agency and the tickets which were waiting for me and asked them which I should use.

Ageed - no way the email was going to be accepted by the tour operator. She should have taken the email to the excursion desk so they could have credited the account for the tickets that are required.

I would have the TA work with NCL to issue credit against the credit card if in fact they did pay for them when ordered for her. Another posiblity is the this Agency issued an addition discount on the final payment that was to cover the price that had to be paid onboard by her. Not free but covered by lower fare.

I don't think I get how this is an NCL issue and not an issue with the online agency. From the original post it sounds like the online agency was offering a free excursion; not NCL. So everything was booked through the online agency and the excursion should have been taken care of by the online agency. It sounds like the online agency just booked the excursion instead of getting it for free. Then you say that NCL refused to acknowledge that a mistake was made. To NCL a mistake wasn't made. An excursion was booked and needed to be paid for. So why would they remove the charge? I guess what I'm saying is your post is a warning about the online agency and not NCL because NCL didn't create the problem. And why come to the NCL board to complain about an online agency?

We booked with an on-line agency for the 3/5 sailing of the Jewel. My contract stated $100 on board credit but when I checked at the reception desk there was no credit. I produced a copy of my contract and they faxed it to Miami and two days later left a message in our cabin stating that there is no on board credit and we should call our travel agent. I will contact her but I would imagine we will not see the $100.

All the more reason to book directly with NCL in the future.

I don't think that the fault lies with the TA. The printed email states that this is the ticket. I'm guessing that what happened is that the TA notified NCL that two passengers would be on the excursion, and NCL somehow assumed that they were reserving tickets rather than simply holding spaces for already purchased tickets. So, the end result was that the excursion was paid for twice.

I would agree that my daughter should have immediately taken the tickets down and questioned what was going on, but I'm not sure that I wouldn't have done the same thing she did and figured they were being issued as part of her already paid for excursion.

Cecilia, I posted this on the NCL board not to place blame with NCL. This promotion (of the free excursion) was up for months, so I know there are others who are going to be cruising NCL in the near future who are also holding these free excursion emails, and I didn't want them to make the same mistake my daughter did.

I don't think that the fault lies with the TA. The printed email states that this is the ticket. I'm guessing that what happened is that the TA notified NCL that two passengers would be on the excursion, and NCL somehow assumed that they were reserving tickets rather than simply holding spaces for already purchased tickets. So, the end result was that the excursion was paid for twice.

I would agree that my daughter should have immediately taken the tickets down and questioned what was going on, but I'm not sure that I wouldn't have done the same thing she did and figured they were being issued as part of her already paid for excursion.

Cecilia, I posted this on the NCL board not to place blame with NCL. This promotion (of the free excursion) was up for months, so I know there are others who are going to be cruising NCL in the near future who are also holding these free excursion emails, and I didn't want them to make the same mistake my daughter did.

reasonable people can disagree. Since it was your TA who made the reservation, personally I would start with them first now. Let THEM deal with NCL, that is what they are paid to do. Whatever the mess up is, It really is between NCL and the TA not you and the cruise line(IMO)

reasonable people can disagree. Since it was your TA who made the reservation, personally I would start with them first now. Let THEM deal with NCL, that is what they are paid to do. Whatever the mess up is, It really is between NCL and the TA not you and the cruise line(IMO)

My thoughts, EXACTLY! ;) This is definately an issue to take up with the TA and insist upon resolution from them.

I think everyone is missing the point. The poster is just lettting people know of a mistake her daughter made and to make sure others don't do the same thing. I think the general just is- read the fine print, and if something doesn't make sense (ie. an email and tickets issued) then clear it up on the spot, ask questions, etc

If you look at my first post above, I thank her for the warning. When she insisted it was NCL problem I respectfully pointed out that I would contact my TA if I were her. I think we got the point. It is a good warning but if she also wanted advice on how to fix it, I think we are entitled to give our opinion...just as you can.

Same thing happened to me with X, they faxed, and my notice was -- oops, yes the credit is there. Actually my problem was the size of the credit, so am wondering if your TA never took care of it. Told my TA about it -- thought she would pop up with an explanation -- she didn't -- so I never knew where the foul up was.

Archived