Tell me about the YC beach area on Ocean Cay

DonnaK

MSC newbie here.  Have the YC booked for a November cruise.

I have read that the YC beach is rocky and not as nice as the other beaches on the island.  Are we better off just going to another beach?  What is the lunch like, compared to the offerings in the non-YC areas?  Any advice/tips?

34 minutes ago, DonnaK said:

MSC newbie here.  Have the YC booked for a November cruise.

I have read that the YC beach is rocky and not as nice as the other beaches on the island.  Are we better off just going to another beach?  What is the lunch like, compared to the offerings in the non-YC areas?  Any advice/tips?

Been there several times after delays.

Beach not too bad but area going into water needs shoes or flops.

Lunch there quite good and hot food hot, cold foods cold.  Other areas will have long lines.  Lunch 12-2.  Drinks great.  Nice cans of water.  Cart will drive you there but we usually walk.  Downside is with ships with bigger YCs it is kind of undersized.  Supposedly expanding next spring during shutdown.

Donna let me tell you the YC area was fantastic. Definitely bring water shoes. We just got off Seascape last Sunday and had Ocean View cabana number 13 on the far end of the YC area. It was a short walk from the restaurant and had a beautiful view of the ocean plus Bimini Beach. Even if you don’t rent a cabana, Bimini Beach is not that far from the main YC beach and it doesn’t have the rocks in the water. But you still need water shoes as there are rather sharp crushed shells just as you enter the water. 
The Ocean House restaurant had  excellent food and service. I was surprised to see the YC Maitre D Arthur there supervising the operation. He was definitely one of the hardest working crew members that we encountered.
We liked the island so much we booked another cruise that overnights at Ocean Cay for December.

This was our first MSC cruise and we were totally impressed compared to our Haven and Retreat experiences.

Edited by aero777
  • Like 1

We always go to Bimini Beach, even when we’re YC guests.  However, since we overnighted there last month, we chose lounge chairs on the grassy area at the YC for our 2nd day. It was lovely, and butler service there was great.  As mentioned above, the food is also very good.

IMG_9651.jpeg

• Like 1

The day we were on the island was windy and the waves were pushing all the rocks into shore. We took the short walk to Bimini beach, swam, went back to the YC for lunch then back to Bimini. Bimini was calm water and fish to snorkel with. You do need water shoes.

1 hour ago, aero777 said:

I’m guessing a cabana rental on an overnight itinerary doesn’t carryover to the second day, right?

In the YC area, I really don’t see much benefit in these…maybe I’m missing something, umbrellas and nice padded chairs are everywhere, not to mention towels, waiters etc..

• Like 1