Oslo Precruise

gdlamberth

Next summer sailing from Olso on Oceania's Regatta.  I've searched this forum and didn't see anything about recommended/suggested Hotels.  Current plan is to fly into Olso on a Thursday afternoon and the ship sails Saturday afternoon.  So, thinking two nights lodging, two dinners and a full day of sightseeing.  Any recommendations/suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Greg

Edited by gdlamberth

3 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

Next summer sailing from Olso on Oceania's Regatta.  I've searched this forum and didn't see anything about recommended/suggested Hotels.  Current plan is to fly into Olso on a Thursday afternoon and the ship sails Saturday afternoon.  So, thinking two nights lodging, two dinners and a full day of sightseeing.  Any recommendations/suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Greg

I have stayed in the Thon Hotel Opera, very near the train station, Clean, convenient, great buffet breakfast. Also the Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz, a bit further away. I would recommend both. Thon hotels throughout Norway are usually a good choice; some also serve dinner as well (usually off-season).

• Thanks 2

The Thon Opera is frequently recommended on TripAdvisor by some of the regulars from the west coast. The Clarion Folketeatret used to be popular among cruisers because it included a light dinner in addition to breakfast. If you are looking for something closer to an American size hotel room, look at the Radisson Plaza. For convenience getting around, I recommend staying close to Oslo S/Jernbanetorget or Nationaltheatret. Both are served by the trains from the airport, which is the fastest and most convenient way into town. The Flytoget airport train runs every 10 minutes to Oslo S (every second train continues to Nationaltheatret), and the Vy regional trains run ~3 times per hour and stop at both. Both options take the same amount of time, but the Vy trains cost considerably less.

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 9/29/2023 at 1:16 PM, kaisatsu said:

he Flytoget airport train runs every 10 minutes to Oslo S (every second train continues to Nationaltheatret), and the Vy regional trains run ~3 times per hour and stop at both.

Are both trains set up to handle luggage? 

11 hours ago, So Cal John said:

Are both trains set up to handle luggage? 

Yes. The Flytoget has luggage racks at each door, and the Vy trains have several open spaces (for standing room, wheelchairs, luggage, etc) with food down seats. The Flytoget is designed specifically for handling airport traffic, but I don’t think it’s worth the significantly higher price. We only use it if there’s a really long wait for the Vy train or we’re traveling too early/late for the Vy trains to be running.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, So Cal John said:

Thank You. I was wondering what one got for the higher price. Not too much, I guess. 

• More frequent service

• Early & late trains

• Much less crowded during commuting rush hour

• More seating, since there are no non-airport passengers

• Designated luggage space

• Travel guarantee (if the trains stop running, they will put you in a taxi until bus service can be arranged)

The last one is the biggest advantage, especially when headed to the airport. Both options will organize bus replacements, but with Vy you have to wait until they’re in place, which can take an hour or more. We usually just wait to buy tickets until we see that the Vy train is running normally.

_______
A short history of how we ended up with two services:

This is probably more information than you really cared to know! 😂 But I find it interesting how it ended up this way.

The train route and complicated tunnel were built specifically for the airport, and until the late 00s or early 10s, the local trains still used the surface route, which took 50 minutes (compared to the 25 it takes today). When the use of the tunnel was expanded and the old rolling stock used by the main rail service was replaced, the difference in the two was significantly reduced. But it was only available twice an hour until the third hourly train was added in the early 10s.

By that point, it was so normal yo take the Flytoget that many locals didn’t even know there was another viable option. And while both prices have risen with inflation, the Vy trains are priced by the local Oslo transit regions. Since Gardermoen is within the greater Oslo network, it’s priced accordingly and costs the same as a ticket for a 4-zone bus journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1