Meraviglia - Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

jm2341

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I boarded the Meraviglia at Red Hook on 9/24. My assigned arrival time was 11:30am, which I completely ignored. My friend dropped us off at the terminal at 12:15pm and we were onboard the ship at 12:38pm.

how was the line of cars

57 minutes ago, tewkewl74 said:

how was the line of cars

It wasn't bad at all. My friend who dropped us off was really relieved.

Yesterday, leaving the terminal in the morning, the line was really backed up for cars coming into the terminal area because there was a semi-tractor-trailer that had gone the wrong way the traffic managers were initially trying to stop it from entering the passenger pick-up area, so it was just stopped, blocking everyone. Finally, they realized there was no choice but to let it pass through the passenger pick-up area. So, our Lyft driver was a little delayed getting to us.

2 hours ago, caribbeanboy said:

I'm arriving 10:30 at JFK,  what is the easiest/fastest way to get to the cruise terminal using Public Transportation.

Hi

There is no easy or fast public transportation option. 

The public transportation from JKF to the Brooklyn terminal will involve the AirTrain to: 

Subway, bus, & walk

bus, subway, bus & walk

LIRR train, subway & walk

LIRR train (to Manhattan), subway, ferry & walk

(there is also a fair bit of walking between stations/stops)

All these options take over an hour, plus there are fees;

AirTrain $8.25, (merto card only)

base fare for subway and buses is $2.90. (metro card or tap with CC) 

LIRR $3-$12 depending on time and distance (no metro card/ ticket only at station or on app)

Ferry $1.50 (ticket or tap with CC)

Metro cards available at stations 

NY public transportation will probably be the cheapest option but certainly not the fastest or easiest. 

Also remember the NYC Marathon is the same day so public transport will be heavily in use. 

I think this is why it has been suggested you take a Uber/Lyft/car service/shuttle for point to point service for your stated "easiest/fastest". 

Safe travels!

1 minute ago, ajoneen said:

Hi

There is no easy or fast public transportation option. 

The public transportation from JKF to the Brooklyn terminal will involve the AirTrain to: 

Subway, bus, & walk

bus, subway, bus & walk

LIRR train, subway & walk

LIRR train (to Manhattan), subway, ferry & walk

(there is also a fair bit of walking between stations/stops)

All these options take over an hour, plus there are fees;

AirTrain $8.25, (merto card only)

base fare for subway and buses is $2.90. (metro card or tap with CC) 

LIRR $3-$12 depending on time and distance (no metro card/ ticket only at station or on app)

Ferry $1.50 (ticket or tap with CC)

Metro cards available at stations 

NY public transportation will probably be the cheapest option but certainly not the fastest or easiest. 

Also remember the NYC Marathon is the same day so public transport will be heavily in use. 

I think this is why it has been suggested you take a Uber/Lyft/car service/shuttle for point to point service for your stated "easiest/fastest". 

Safe travels!

All of this! I heavily researched public transportation options to/from the cruise terminal and there are no good answers. All of them require not only multiple transfers but changing between multiple modes of transportation and all of them require a decent amount of walking, which could be an issue with luggage. Either an airport transfer through MSC or some sort of Uber/Lyft/cab arrangement is really the only thing that makes any sense.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

MSC offers transfers to and from the airports if they're still available, I got one, you just have to call them. Too bad you just can't book it on their website.

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any information if a passenger can book on the ship bus service from the ship to Laguardia? Thanks 

On 10/5/2023 at 10:15 AM, caribbeanboy said:

I'm arriving 10:30 at JFK,  what is the easiest/fastest way to get to the cruise terminal using Public Transportation.

As someone who flies several times a week (and also takes the subway regularly), I would not recommend attempting to take public transportation from JFK to the Red Hook cruise terminal.

Getting to Red Hook via public transportation (other than the ferry) is already challenging. If you can make it to Smith/9th Street on the subway, you'll have to struggle with your luggage down 90 feet of escalators and stairs (they didn't install an elevator during the renovation). You're then looking at a 25 minute walk from the subway to the terminal. 

These days, just getting to the subway from JFK is a mess right now. They're doing total rebuild of Terminal 1, meaning the AirTrain (to the subway) is running shuttle service that is super unreliable. AirTrains have been running with ~20 minute headways... at that point, you'd be almost 1/2 of the way to the pier in a taxi/Lyft.

7 hours ago, jm2341 said:

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any information if a passenger can book on the ship bus service from the ship to Laguardia? Thanks 

It is possible, but I was informed it was only for flights after 3pm. Here is what I wrote in my trip report:

"On my way to lunch I stopped at Guest Services to inquire about transfer services to LaGuardia airport. I was told that they had them, but only for flights after 3pm. I was a bit confused and told them I didn’t want the excursion in NYC + transfer, just asking if they had a direct shuttle to the airport. Well apparently, her first answer was for the direct shuttle. I thought that made no sense because I would expect folks with earlier flights would want their transport arranged and I told her that. She got into something about possible immigration hold-ups and I just said ok and left. (My flight was 2:15pm and I knew I’d get there plenty early anyways, just figured the transfer might save a few bucks)"

You really want to do this hauling luggage? I gave you elevators, can't say they will be in service. 

AirTrain as of 10/10/2023 takes credit card at turnstile $8.25 pp. If party greater or equal to four round trips than the 10 trip/30 day Airtrain metrocard for $25 +$1 card fee would be cheaper.

Airtrain to Jamica take Atlantic Terminal (Brooklyn) train to Atlantic Terminal (20 minute headway non-rush. 1 train an hour from Track 3 the rest from Track 11/12. Elevator for Track 3 is on the right, Track 11/12 by the stairs to platform on left.

Exit Atlantic Ave at front of LIRR train make a left to entrance of Subway for 2/3/4/5, though the turnstile make left. Walk almost down the platform to the elevator to lower mezzanine. Exit Elevator, make left walk to elevator to upper mezzanine straight ahead. Make left (u Turn almost) walk to the elevator on right wall to D/N/R Coney Island Bay Ridge Platform.

Take Bay Ridge bound R train to 9th St/4th Av stop (No Elevator) exit front of train stairs to street.  After passing turnstile make right to 9th street. Make right on 9th St to B61 bus stop.

Take B61 17 stops to Van Brunt St/Pioneer St. Exit Bus

Right on Pioneer St, Left on Conover St. Let on Clinton Wharf look for the boat can't miss it.

Edited by Brighton Line
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2023 at 6:46 PM, AstoriaPreppy said:

As someone who flies several times a week (and also takes the subway regularly), I would not recommend attempting to take public transportation from JFK to the Red Hook cruise terminal.

Getting to Red Hook via public transportation (other than the ferry) is already challenging. If you can make it to Smith/9th Street on the subway, you'll have to struggle with your luggage down 90 feet of escalators and stairs (they didn't install an elevator during the renovation). You're then looking at a 25 minute walk from the subway to the terminal. 

These days, just getting to the subway from JFK is a mess right now. They're doing total rebuild of Terminal 1, meaning the AirTrain (to the subway) is running shuttle service that is super unreliable. AirTrains have been running with ~20 minute headways... at that point, you'd be almost 1/2 of the way to the pier in a taxi/Lyft.

I totally agree with your statement that although NYC has "many" excellent public transportation services, in this particular situation taking public transportation from EWR, JFK, LGA into Manhattan or the suburbs while on vacation with luggage and family is strongly discouraged as Uber & Lyft  are definitely the way to go. 

2 minutes ago, clm101798 said:

If I am driving to the MSC Terminal where do I park after dropping off my luggage?

It will be very obvious, but the area where you drop off your luggage will be to the right where the porters and people are. That will then curve around to the left and the parking lot will then be on your left.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

It will be very obvious, but the area where you drop off your luggage will be to the right where the porters and people are. That will then curve around to the left and the parking lot will then be on your left.

Thank you.  Do you know how much they charge?

Here's a screenshot of the layout from Google Maps. Where the arrows and the words Clinton Wharf are, that is where people will be dropping luggage and the ride shares will be dropping people off. There will be people directing traffic there.

Where the P is is the main parking area.

Screenshot_20231012-150617.thumb.png.7aa5f92f4a913b175d12455b9083e661.png

Edited by JamieLogical

Thanks, tewkewl.  I have the ride covered.  I just wanted to mention the maximum parking fee for those driving.  I did park there when it was only $25/day but this is a little ridiculous for outdoor, unprotected parking with no guard.

Edited by bphman

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2023 at 8:15 PM, Anastas617 said:

It is possible, but I was informed it was only for flights after 3pm. Here is what I wrote in my trip report:

"On my way to lunch I stopped at Guest Services to inquire about transfer services to LaGuardia airport. I was told that they had them, but only for flights after 3pm. I was a bit confused and told them I didn’t want the excursion in NYC + transfer, just asking if they had a direct shuttle to the airport. Well apparently, her first answer was for the direct shuttle. I thought that made no sense because I would expect folks with earlier flights would want their transport arranged and I told her that. She got into something about possible immigration hold-ups and I just said ok and left. (My flight was 2:15pm and I knew I’d get there plenty early anyways, just figured the transfer might save a few bucks)"

We are trying to figure out the best way to get to the Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn from the Boston area.  We are only going one way, and flying back from Europe.   Flying seems expensive with too much risk of delays and lost luggage, train just seems to difficult with heavy luggage.  We have thought of driving a rental/zip car.   Has anyone tried this ?

9 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

We are trying to figure out the best way to get to the Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn from the Boston area.  We are only going one way, and flying back from Europe.   Flying seems expensive with too much risk of delays and lost luggage, train just seems to difficult with heavy luggage.  We have thought of driving a rental/zip car.   Has anyone tried this ?

The challenge you would have with a rental car is dropping it off at the rental car agency in NY and then getting from wherever that is to the cruise terminal. You would likely need to Uber/Lyft from there.

3 hours ago, JCMass. said:

There was a family from Boston area on our last Mera cruise (on NOV5) that they rented a van for ONE Way (around ~$150 per)... TWICE for TO/FROM Red Hook Terminal and they said the agency had a drop off/pickup at the terminal... I cannot recall which rental agency but give various ones a call and ask them...  Otherwise, it's Uber Lyft like Jamie stated...

image.thumb.png.0281045143fa4c7afa4f1142091ef8df.png

23 minutes ago, buffet24 said:

There was a family from Boston area on our last Mera cruise (on NOV5) that they rented a van for ONE Way (around ~$150 per)... TWICE for TO/FROM Red Hook Terminal and they said the agency had a drop off/pickup at the terminal... I cannot recall which rental agency but give various ones a call and ask them...  Otherwise, it's Uber Lyft like Jamie stated...

image.thumb.png.0281045143fa4c7afa4f1142091ef8df.png

I went on the cruise terminal website, and there are no car rental places at the Red Hook Terminal.  I even called Hertz and they show nothing at the terminal.  The closest seems to be 1 mile away, and we are trying to find out what kind of area we would be in.  

25 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

I went on the cruise terminal website, and there are no car rental places at the Red Hook Terminal.  I even called Hertz and they show nothing at the terminal.  The closest seems to be 1 mile away, and we are trying to find out what kind of area we would be in.  

At least a mile would be a very cheap Uber/Lyft ride!