New Watersports Gear on Odyssey

Mrs_Tiki

We are waiting to board Odyssey at Canada Place today and took a walk along the pier to kill time while waiting. We noticed that they were hoisting new watersports equipment onto the marine platform and removing the old. Brand new zodiacs, kayaks, PFDs, and paddles were among the items we saw being loaded.

I would think that this provides some comfort for those who worry that Seabourn might be letting the ship go as it is in its last months in the fleet. I was very encouraged to see this!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

We are waiting to board Odyssey at Canada Place today and took a walk along the pier to kill time while waiting. We noticed that they were hoisting new watersports equipment onto the marine platform and removing the old. Brand new zodiacs, kayaks, PFDs, and paddles were among the items we saw being loaded.

I would think that this provides some comfort for those who worry that Seabourn might be letting the ship go as it is in its last months in the fleet. I was very encouraged to see this!

Did you notice if the new kayaks are sit-on-top style?  These would suit the warmer waters south of Alaska.  I do wish the Odyssey could acquire some new windows in the Observation Lounge (difficult to see out past the blown seals) and non-mildewed carpeting in some of the suites...

But yes, it's definitely nice to learn that Odyssey is being cared for : )  

8 hours ago, Astride said:

Probably the old equipment being reloaded due to regulatory reasons.

???? I have no reason or wish to argue, but that does not match what we saw.

What I don’t have a photo of is the crane removing older, weathered, white zodiacs onto a flatbed trailer on the pier. The black ones in the photo appeared to be brand new.

I will try to confirm with a crew member and check back if I gain any additional information.

58 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

What I don’t have a photo of is the crane removing older, weathered, white zodiacs onto a flatbed trailer on the pier. The black ones in the photo appeared to be brand new.

I will try to confirm with a crew member and check back if I gain any additional information.

zodiacs had been removed from the Odyssey earlier in the season.

Confirmed with Robert the Cruise Director this evening that Yes they changed out zodiac's in Vancouver (the old white ones were loaded onto a flatbed truck and hauled away).  They need the new equipment for Hawaii and South Pacific. Just trying to pass along updates 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tiki_Man said:

Confirmed with Robert the Cruise Director this evening that Yes they changed out zodiac's in Vancouver (the old white ones were loaded onto a flatbed truck and hauled away).  They need the new equipment for Hawaii and South Pacific. Just trying to pass along updates 

We got off on Friday in Vancouver after 14 days.  The Zodiacs off loaded were black, not white - we not only watched the offload but saw them in the water several times.  Robert is not the best source of information unless it relates to the evening’s entertainment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

I haven't seen the zodiacs that were unloaded & loaded in Vancouver. But I do remember that SB Odyssey was not allowed to offer zodiac excursions in French Polynesia last April. This had to do with the Polynesian gov't not wanting SB to compete with their own tour operators. So I just assumed that SB was just following governmental regulations by off-loading & reloading them. Note that I wrote "probably" in my post & that I clearly did not refute what you saw with your own eyes.