Best way to secure camera in Europe

eddieg07410

We will be going to Italy and Greece on a Viking ocean cruise in 2025. I have some very expensive camera equipment which includes two lenses, a tripod, and camera. I was wondering what is the best way to secure this equipment so it lower the risk of it being stolen.

Hi!

So while there are no guarantees, keeping your equipment in a protective bag (which you probably already have planned to do) like some of these you'd be able to carry the bag on your back, then when ready to begin shooting, take it off, set up the camera + lens and/or tripod, put the back pack back on and get to it.

When the time came to change lenses, rinse and repeat. 

What I would sometimes do is loop my leg through a bag if I had to put something down for whatever reason, but that would depend on what type of shooting you're doing. You could also loop a leg of the tripod through a strap of the backpack or bag, as you'd be standing near it, which would make it sort of challenging for someone to get way low and grab the equipment.

Or, you could get a crossbody type bag and keep everything on you, the backup lens, when not in use is safe alongside you with your backup batteries, memory cards etc.

Alternatively you could use a photographer's cargo-type vest for when you are in port and pack everything in the vest, even some telescopic tripods get very small these days. Here are images of what they look like.  

Maintain an awareness of your surroundings, familiarize yourself with an area in advance of your arrival so you'll have an idea of where things are when you arrive and feel comfortable. Thieves target folks who look distracted and uncomfortable or who are easily distracted. Don't be by planning ahead your visit and plans to photograph.

But don't let it interfere with enjoying the visit or the experiencing making visual impressions. Use common sense, the right equipment, and everything will be fine. Another good thing is to check what your home insurance covers (lost or stolen equipment when traveling) and whether or not it makes sense to buy any additional insurance to cover your equipment; there may be limits, especially if it's very expensive. 

Also, backup your images frequently to the cloud. If you're shooting RAW, have an unlimited cloud storage account or remember to compress before transferring or just change the settings before you start shooting each day or location. 

Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

One solution is to use a backpack and buy a padded camera insert from Amazon.  I use a Samsonite backpack that looks totally generic and a 3 position insert (1 for assembled body with 70-200 attached, 1 position for 24-70 and the last for a camera body).  In the coach I assemble the 24/70 onto the extra body and use it as the default camera (using a hand strap and not a neck strap).  For distant shots the 70-200 comes out and is then replaced ASAP since the white lens tends to attract attention.  It's worked out well for the last 26 cruises.  

And if you buy the onboard Internet, letting it back up your daily shots overnight to Amazon (they allow unlimited RAW and JPG uploads) from a laptop is a decent strategy.

In the rough and tumble world of the airport, I use the Nanuk 935 photo case. Upon arrival I take the padded insert and put it into my pacsafe backpack. I really like the pacsafe’s anti-theft features when I am out and about in town. 
I also take black electrical tape and apply it over any identifier marking on the body along with a LensCoat lens cover to cover up the larger white lenses.

I carried my full kit on a trip to Sudtirol, Italy in 2019 before a cruise. To carry everything I used my Lowpro Pro-Tactic backpack camera bag. It is the one that accepts the Molle accessories. It fit a Sony A65 (since retired and replaced with a Sony A6500), a Sony A6000, five lenses with accessories, and tripod. On the two straps I attached two Peak Design Capture Clips. With the Capture Clips I was able to carry two lenses and one camera securely across my chest so that I could change leses/cameras without accessing my bag.

LoweProBackpack.JPG.ee0ec05d8d7203352ffd6036825c26a6.JPG

PDDesign.JPG.2f62ca125e38738167ede26b687d089e.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1

I knew a person who traveled with his stuff in a soiled looking diaper bag with a couple of clean soiled looking diapers hanging out of them.  His stuff was never touched.  Problem is that we are in our 80's so I am not sure that this would fool too many thieves.  How much would a good replacement value camera insurance policy cost you so at least you will be covered in case of loss.

DON

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 12:44 AM, donaldsc said:

How much would a good replacement value camera insurance policy

Many homeowner's insurance policies will cover this equipment, unless perhaps it is extremely expensive, in which case you can add valuable item coverage to any policy. If you're traveling with rare, unusual, or special equipment, or maybe just an all Leica set up, you want to be sure these devices won't be excluded. 

Ensure that your insurance has replacement cost coverage. 

But keeping receipts and serial numbers of equipment will help with claims for insurance. Easiest thing is to snap photos and save them somewhere other than your phone (in the event the phone was also lost) for later retrieval and submission.

Other insurances might also augment the homeowners policy, such as certain travel credit cards (Chase Sapphire, Capital One Venture, Amex Gold/Platinum) so look into those details too, as well as any coverages that might be available separately with travel insurance. 

I don't know, I generally find European, Asian and Middle Eastern cities to be very safe, and safer than most US cities.  If I'm inclined to carry a lot of gear, I have a large Pacsafe bag.  Given it's on my back, if I'm concerned about the area, I have the zips into the cameras and lenses locked.  Also, a camera with lens is a pretty hefty thing to clock someone with if needed. 🙂  Have a great trip, I'm sure you'll be safe!