Thanksgiving on Emerald

klenklen

Yes, we have been on a few Thanksgiving cruises with Princess and you will find they serve a full slate of traditional fare both in the buffet and as an option on the main dining room menu. So if you are craving your turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams and cranberry sauce, you will find it. And pumpkin pie too. But they offer alternative dishes as well for anyone who doesn't want to do the traditional menu.

Usually they have a nice harvest display in the atrium as well with the requisite turkeys and horns of plenty. It's a fun time!

Edited by karatemom2

18 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

And pumpkin pie too.

Aside from all the other items which are great, their pumpkin pie is terrible and has been that way for years. It's almost as though they didn't follow any proven recipe an backed it from a picture. 😉 

43 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Aside from all the other items which are great, their pumpkin pie is terrible and has been that way for years. It's almost as though they didn't follow any proven recipe an backed it from a picture. 😉 

Yes we have noticed that too. I wonder if pumpkin pie is such an American thing that the chefs just can’t quite figure out the secret? But you’re right, it’s never good. Very bland - like they use zero spices. I mean even the recipe on the side of a Libby’s Pumpkin can would be an upgrade. Maybe I should hand the chef my Grandma’s recipe next time we do a Thanksgiving cruise!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Yes we have noticed that too. I wonder if pumpkin pie is such an American thing that the chefs just can’t quite figure out the secret? But you’re right, it’s never good. Very bland - like they use zero spices. I mean even the recipe on the side of a Libby’s Pumpkin can would be an upgrade. Maybe I should hand the chef my Grandma’s recipe next time we do a Thanksgiving cruise!

I really believe they have the same distributer that provides them for years. We always try a piece just to see if it's improved.....but it never does.

Same thing applies to their pecan pie. They like to overbake it like a nut bar so it transports well.

They should try reading a basic cook book sometime. 😄

I was the Regal last year leaving Rome for a TA.  We left a couple of days before American Thanksgiving.  On Thanksgiving itself, there was no carved turkey and the appropriate sides in the buffet, and the turkey option on the MDR menu for that day was nothing special and it was only one of several entree options on the menu.  I chalked this all up to leaving from Europe, so if the Emerald is doing a Caribbean cruise, I'd guess things would be different.

@MissP22, I also don't recall seeing a single pumpkin pie which as I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie was fine with me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

@MissP22, I also don't recall seeing a single pumpkin pie which as I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie was fine with me. 

What's Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie?

On 10/18/2023 at 11:11 AM, karatemom2 said:

Yes, we have been on a few Thanksgiving cruises with Princess and you will find they serve a full slate of traditional fare both in the buffet and as an option on the main dining room menu. So if you are craving your turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams and cranberry sauce, you will find it. And pumpkin pie too. But they offer alternative dishes as well for anyone who doesn't want to do the traditional menu.

Usually they have a nice harvest display in the atrium as well with the requisite turkeys and horns of plenty. It's a fun time!

With the caveat that if you're on a cruise in Australia, don't count on it.

13 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I really believe they have the same distributer that provides them for years. We always try a piece just to see if it's improved.....but it never does.

Same thing applies to their pecan pie. They like to overbake it like a nut bar so it transports well.

They should try reading a basic cook book sometime. 😄

We've had this convo before: they don't use a distributor for their pies and cakes. They bake them in-house, bless your heart.