How to Dine at a Table With Other Passengers (Strangers)

PoorBuoy

When we go to the dining room (for flexible seating) we always indicate we're happy to share. Sometimes we are seated with others, sometimes at a small table but adjacent to another so it's almost the same. Occasionally it just doesn't work. We usually do MDR and simply request a table of 6 or 8. Have met some really nice people that way (as well as a couple of duds) If you want to be with different people each night you'll have more success with "any time". If you want to stay with them, just set a time between yourselves and show up together.

• Like 1

We were on a cruise once when seated in the MDR with 4 other couples met one couple that we had 10 great dinner conversations with them .On the last night we exchanged home phone numbers,cell phone numbers and home addresses .The feeling was that it would be the beginning of a rest of life friendship.We had a phone conversation a few days after arriving home and the husband of the couple was totally different,expressing comments that he could not do in mixed company .That was our last communication.

IDK what cruise lines you have been calling ... but:

NCL doesn't have dinner seating times.  I travel alone almost all of the time and I tell the dining room when I enter that I am open to sitting with others OR having others sit with me.  I don't plan it before hand and I have had several great people seated with me. 

Carnival - I typically get 'My Time Dining' and say the same when I arrive at the dining room.  

• Like 1

I mostly don't like to sit with other people at dinner because I've heard all of my husband's military and airline stories over and over and over.  On HAL, they've had the military meet ups and I'm glad that he can go to these meetings and talk with other military veterans.  🤣

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I mostly don't like to sit with other people at dinner because I've heard all of my husband's military and airline stories over and over and over.  On HAL, they've had the military meet ups and I'm glad that he can go to these meetings and talk with other military veterans.  🤣

ROFL!  As a vet, who does not like to talk about vet things, I get it :).  I once went to one of the veterans get togethers on a cruise and discovered how some vets just like to tell "war stories.'  My reaction was, boring!  Another interesting thing about vets is that many of us who served in a real war zone generally prefer to forget about it...and certainly not relive some of the experiences.  I will admit that airline stories sometimes get my interest :).  

We love sharing tables on cruises, and socializing is about looking for discussion topics that engage most (if not all) at the table.  On cruises, talking about cruise, travel, ports, etc. is usually good conversation starters.  Sports is also a good topic (especially among men).  I do think that face-to-face socialization comes easier to we seniors, and that many younger folks only know how to socialize on a phone!  Just witness the number of folks, in restaurants, who spend a good part of their meal texting rather than interacting with their tablemates.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just witness the number of folks, in restaurants, who spend a good part of their meal texting rather than interacting with their tablemates.

Unfair, Hank 

We used to think the same.

But one evening we noticed that altho' the young couple at the table next to us were both texting, they were actually texting to each-other. 🥴

I'd love to see their phone bill if they did that on a cruise ship 🤣🤣🤣

JB 🙂

• Haha 1