2024 Alaska Southbound Itinerary

Cyclone92

I booked a 2024 Southbound Alaska cruise on the Sapphire, but have a few questions on the itinerary and hoping the community may have some insights!

1. Departure is scheduled for 8:30 pm on embarkation day. That is much later than cruises I've been on in the past. Does that mean boarding times will also be later or can we plan on boarding around 11am?

2. Hubbard Glacier is the day after embarkation from 3pm-8pm. I'm guessing we won't spend a full 5 hours in front of the glacier so I'm wondering which hours are most likely going to be spent at the glacier? Also, this obviously conflicts with the most popular dining times and evening entertainment. Do most people try to book late dinner reservations (e.g. 8pm or later) for that evening? Will the showtimes for that evening be adjusted later to not conflict?

3. The final day of the cruise is the inside passage from Ketchikan back to Vancouver?  However, this day is not specifically mentioned as scenic cruising.  Are there any particular points or times of the day that are particularly scenic and worth planning for? 

You will be able to board early. The late sailing is because a lot of people are coming in by train from the land portion of their trip. Be sure to be out on deck for several hours after sailing from Whittier IMHO this is some of the most scenic viewing on your cruise. The times at Hubbard include the approach and departure. I would say you will be at the glacier itself from 5 to 6 pm. For me the scenery is why I sail Alaska,  you can eat anytime. 

Edited by DougH
Spelling
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, DougH said:

For me the scenery is why I sail Alaska,  you can eat anytime. 

Agree 100%.  Meal times and shows are the least of my concerns when it comes to Alaska as we are there for the scenery.  

To answer question #1 -- we are on the same Southbound itinerary on the Sapphire in 2024 and our Travel Summary says boarding begins at 12:30 for our cruise.  My suggestion would be to see what your Travel Summary says for a boarding time for your cruise.  

To answer question #2 -- We have the Hubbard Glacier & Wilderness Exploration excursion booked and the timing is 4:30 - 6:30.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the others. In Alaska -  the entertainment is Alaska scenery. The shows can be missed on glacier day and you can eat later that day. I would skip dinner for Hubbard glacier and just eat later. 

• Like 2

We were on the same timeframe at Hubbard last summer on the Grand. We had no problem making our 5:40 dinner reservation that evening. The glacier was well behind us by then. There was still plenty of scenery, of course, but that is true of the entire voyage. Impossible to see it all, which is why we've done it 3 times, and plan to do it again in a few years. 😉

No, dinner and show times are not adjusted later. There are early and late performances of most shows, however. 

The nonstop scenery continues into the passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Again, impossible to see it all, but any time spent on deck is well worth it.

HTH 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I realize this is an old thread but my question relates to OP's. We will be arriving by train from the land tour portion at 6pm. Can anyone with experience estimate how long embarkation will take? I agree meals are secondary to scenery but we are trying to get our group together with reserved mealtimes and are wondering what dinner reservation time makes sense on boarding day.