Back from the Sapphire 03/11 to 03/18

Colo Cruiser

Back last night from the Sapphire Princess.

It was a fantastic cruise. Excellent service an excellent food. Who could ask for more.

Embarkation was a breeze and we were onboard by 11:40 after dropping off the family at the pier and taking the Enterprise car to the office to drop it off across form the pier. I walked back to the pier as the shuttle was no where to be found.

Still very cool before Cabo on the way down and after Cabo on the way back.

Mazatlan was only in the high 70's with a cool breeze. Actually felt pretty good versus that stifling heat sometimes.

Monday night we ate in the Sterling Steak House and it was really good. We all had the 22 ounce porterhose which was cooked to perfection. Well worth the $15 PP charge.

We had the UBD (ultimate balcony dinner) on Wednesday night upon leaving Mazatlan. 5 wait staff including 2 Maitre'd's came to the cabin at 6:00 pm for the setup and then the photographer arrived as well as the 2 plumbers lol.gif (our toilet quit at the same time). Quite comical with 10 plus people trying to navigate around in a BA cabin. To top that off the balcony door was open with the cabin door so the gale force wind tunnel was happening as well.

I had them bring one of those large round tables for the balcony versus the small square one. It was set up with the linen table cloth, a flower arrangement, champagne which we substituted (Asti) for. They give you about 15 to 20 minutes per course. Had canapes to start, crab quiche in a pastry bowl, salad, and surf and turf. For dessert we had a chocolate shell on a plate with berries and chocolate mousse in a beautiful presentation. The weather was great with a slight breeze and very comfortable.

We also ate in the Santa Fe, specialty (Fajitas) once, Pacific Moon, specialty (Stirfry shrimp and scallops) twice, and the Savoy, specialty (center cut pork chops) once. Never made it the the Vivaldi

Princess really needs to fix the port times in Cabo, it is the best stop and the ship leaves at 1:00 pm eek04.gif. It is ridculous and really not worth the hassle of fighting the tender lines upon returning to the ship. By the time you get off it is time to get back on. We walked around town and went to Cabo Wabo for a (can't drive 55 drink) OMG 1 will knock your socks off especially at 11:00 in the morning.

Shows were OK, but comedian Lorenzo Clark's routine is really getting old. We have seen him several times over the last few years. The first show I think was on Tuesday night and I think he was really drunk, slurring his words etc. He was not very good at all.

Also saw comedians Dan Bennett, Ross Bennett, (no relation), Steve Smith and singer Lovena Fox who sang beautiful but seemed to be way too into herself mentioning over and over how she won Canada's Juno award the equivilent to the Grammy. Also how she was in the broadway show Ragtime. But all and all it was good entertainment.

I miss the Carribean comedians (Sarge, Rondell Sheridan,The Kid etc)

Disembarkation was a different story, the crew had to do their once every 90 days of presenting themselves to customs so we did not get off until 11:30 eek04.gif and there were still alot of people waiting to get off.

We could have gotten off betwen 8 and 9 but chose to wait as out flight was not until 2:30 pm.

It is snowing here this morning with a possibility of up to 8 inches. Oy Vay!! back to reality!! lol.gif

img.php?image=colocruiser.jpg

Thanks for checking in colo cruiser, glad that you had a great cruise! A couple of questions.....did you make reservations for your meals? Some have said that that was not needed except for formal night. How far is Cabo Wabo from the port? I think because of the short time there, we will probably do the same as you except I will probably pass on the drink, I probably would never make it back to the ship;) Thanks for your help!

Linda

Thanks for checking in colo cruiser, glad that you had a great cruise! A couple of questions.....did you make reservations for your meals? Some have said that that was not needed except for formal night. How far is Cabo Wabo from the port? I think because of the short time there, we will probably do the same as you except I will probably pass on the drink, I probably would never make it back to the ship;) Thanks for your help!

Linda

Hi Linda,

Most of the time our reservations were for 6:30. For the most part it is difficult to walk up after 6:30 without a reservation and expect to get seated promptly. By 8:00 though the place's emptied out.

A res for both formal nights is a must.

Cabo Wabo is only a few blocks from the marina and sits up a hill. No views but a fun atmosphere. I did not realize how potent that drink really was. :eek:

These entertainers are no longer on the Caribbean Princess. Anyone know if they are on another ship now?

We were on the Dec 17th Carribean Cruise and the Kid was on it than. Perhaps he has moved on. We saw his PG13 show and that his comedy was pushing it. Than we watched his "adults only" show. WOW what a difference.

I remember a long time ago seeing Jerry Lewis at the Nugget in Sparks Nevada and his comedy for the show was very similiar.

Yes we did the Island night deck party and it was a blast. The Sapphire has one of the best bands that I have heard "Hip Pocket" and they usually play in the Explorers lounge.

They had a Piano player/singer "Arny G" in Crooners, but did not care for him too much as he let people come up and sing that had no right holding a microphone. I think one was William Hung singing "she bang" :eek: But I sure love that lounge area with all the stained glass type railings around it.

The Wheelhouse is not my kind of music. Makes me go to sleep.

I have got to start dieting again too as we leave in 48 days on the Island. I think it is a lost cause. :D

We were on the Dec 17th Carribean Cruise and the Kid was on it than. Perhaps he has moved on. We saw his PG13 show and that his comedy was pushing it. Than we watched his "adults only" show. WOW what a difference.

I remember a long time ago seeing Jerry Lewis at the Nugget in Sparks Nevada and his comedy for the show was very similiar.

If you are talking about James "the Kid" the magician, he was on the Star in January.

Thats what I was trying to say in my review that I miss the Caribbean iteniaries comedians not just on the CB but all the ships. I was talking to the assistant cruise director Peter who said that the comedians tend to stick to the coast near where they live and Lorenzo Clark, and otheres live in or near LA. :)

Yes we did the Island night deck party and it was a blast. The Sapphire has one of the best bands that I have heard "Hip Pocket" and they usually play in the Explorers lounge.

They had a Piano player/singer "Arny G" in Crooners, but did not care for him too much as he let people come up and sing that had no right holding a microphone. I think one was William Hung singing "she bang" :eek: But I sure love that lounge area with all the stained glass type railings around it.

I have got to start dieting again too as we leave in 48 days on the Island. I think it is a lost cause. :D

Thanks Colo Cruiser,

48 days = 14 pounds off if your lucky. You can do it.:D

These entertainers are no longer on the Caribbean Princess. Anyone know if they are on another ship now?

There was a thread on the RCI board (and perhaps this one as well) a few weeks ago that mentioned a news report indicating that Rondell Sheridan was shot to death in St. Thomas. A very sad story. We saw him on one of our cruises and enjoyed him more than many of the "name" entertainers we have seen on other cruises.:(

There was a thread on the RCI board (and perhaps this one as well) a few weeks ago that mentioned a news report indicating that Rondell Sheridan was shot to death in St. Thomas. A very sad story. We saw him on one of our cruises and enjoyed him more than many of the "name" entertainers we have seen on other cruises.:(

Wow I never heard that. Anyone have a link to any stories? :eek:

Don't think that is true, he is still shown on his TV program "Raven" due to air next on 03/24/06 and is ongoing. I hope it is not true.

Wow I never heard that. Anyone have a link to any stories? :eek:

Don't think that is true, he is still shown on his TV program "Raven" due to air next on 03/24/06 and is ongoing. I hope it is not true.

I feel terrible. My information was incorrect. .:( It was a comedian named Blair Shannon who also performed on cruise ships who was slain in St. Thomas. Rondell Sheridan is alive and still performing. My deepest apologies to anyone who I upset with my misinformed post. Next time, I will try to double check my information before posting, especially on such a serious topic. Mea culpa.

I am sorry I did not pay that much attention to the movies but I saw "Proof" and "Capote" in the Patter.

I am glad that it was not Rondell Sheridan, thanks for posting the correction. :)

Here is the story on Blair Shannon:

January 22 2006

W. Chester comic shot to death

Cruise ship entertainer killed by burglar, Virgin Is. cops say

BY JIM KNIPPENBERG | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

A West Chester comedian and headliner on Royal Caribbean cruise ships was shot and killed during a burglary attempt Thursday night at his hotel room in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.

Blair Shannon, 46, the subject of an Enquirer profile Dec. 27, was shot in the abdomen, St. Thomas police Sgt. Thomas Hannah said Friday.

Monique Faulkner, Shannon's girlfriend and business partner, told police Shannon had left his bed to investigate a noise in his room at the Best Western Carib Beach Resort.

The burglar demanded money from Shannon, then fired a single shot, police said.

Faulkner told police that when she heard the confrontation, she got out of bed and witnessed the shooting. Faulkner was unhurt, Hannah said Friday. The man then raced off without taking anything, he said.

Hannah said he thinks the hotel rooms have an outside entrance, but exactly how the man got into the room was not clear. The shooting happened at 11 p.m. local time.

The homicide is the first of the year in the U.S. territory, a popular cruise destination. Three principal islands make up the U.S. Virgin Islands: St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas. Hannah said there were fewer than 20 homicides on St. Thomas last year.

Hannah said police have no suspects.

Blair Shannon's brother, Lester of Cincinnati, said the family's main concern now is Blair's daughter, Chelsey, 14.

"She has a large family to surround her, and we will make sure she's taken care of," he said. "But she's been through so much in her life."

Shannon's wife, Amy, died of leukemia in 1998.

Before the shooting, Shannon had just finished headlining a comedy show on a cruise ship, his brother said.

Shannon began his career at the now-defunct DWI comedy club in Clifton. He also played the defunct Aunt Maudie's in Over-the-Rhine, as well as local charity benefits.

we were on the Sapphire last week too

other movies were The Family Stone, Good Night and Good Luck (or something like that it is the George Clooney movie) and Pride and Prejudice.

The weather was cool on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe low 60's on Saturday. When we left the hotel to go to the ship on Saturday morning you could see your breath. The sailaway was very cold on deck. Sunday it started to warm up a bit but it sure wasn't swimming weather early in the day. It warmed up as the day went on. Friday it was cool too. I wore capris and a polar fleece shirt for the day and was only too hot when I manage to find a sunny spot with no wind. I was surprise on the coolness of the weather. You go in 4 weeks so it should be warmer by then.

Have a great time. I know that we did. We booked 2 sets of future cruise credits and we are trying to figure out if we can go somewhere this summer and will be booking next week of a Caribbean cruise for next March.

Archived