America’s Cup Barcelona sept - October 2024 - pre or post cruise hotel reservations

M&M@409

We are booked on the Barcelona to Barcelona October 14-28, 2024. Because I am one of those people for whom vacation planning is half the fun, I was browsing through various websites to see what our hotel options are for flying in a day or two before boarding the ship, just window shopping, but not intending to book quite yet..

I was amazed to see that many of the hotels are already fully booked or certain categories are sold out, particularly those on the high end, especially at the big hotel franchises like Hilton, Hyatt and Bonvoy.  The closer you get to the harbor, the more scarce and expensive the rooms become. This is because The America’s Cup is being held in Barcelona in September-October, 2024.  For example, rooms at the waterfront W are between $4,000 and 8,000:per night at that time, about 10X the regular rate. 

I did manage to get a mini suite at a hotel located between the airport and the main attraction area.  Had I not been curious about our options, we might have ended up in Barcelona with no hotel or an undesirable hotel. So if you’re cruising in that area at that time, don’t wait until last minute to find a hotel.

• Like 3

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I just checked the hotel I had planned to stay at.  All the rates are 100% pay in advance, nonrefundable, including if booked with points which I’ve never encountered before. Post cruise looks more normal. 

Edited by TER777

10 hours ago, M&M@409 said:

We are booked on the Barcelona to Barcelona October 14-28, 2024. Because I am one of those people for whom vacation planning is half the fun, I was browsing through various websites to see what our hotel options are for flying in a day or two before boarding the ship, just window shopping, but not intending to book quite yet..

I was amazed to see that many of the hotels are already fully booked or certain categories are sold out, particularly those on the high end, especially at the big hotel franchises like Hilton, Hyatt and Bonvoy.  The closer you get to the harbor, the more scarce and expensive the rooms become. This is because The America’s Cup is being held in Barcelona in September-October, 2024.  For example, rooms at the waterfront W are between $4,000 and 8,000:per night at that time, about 10X the regular rate. 

I did manage to get a mini suite at a hotel located between the airport and the main attraction area.  Had I not been curious about our options, we might have ended up in Barcelona with no hotel or an undesirable hotel. So if you’re cruising in that area at that time, don’t wait until last minute to find a hotel.

For those that might be interested,the Crystal hotel pre cruise is the Sofitel.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 12:35 PM, bayonejoe said:

For those that might be interested,the Crystal hotel pre cruise is the Sofitel.

Excellent suggestion.  

It might also make it easier for people to get a transfer from the hotel over to the ship the day of embarkation.

Keith