Countdown to Ovation on Sunday!

robertmartha

As I did in May from our Odyssey Alaska sailing - will be boarding the Ovation on Sunday for 7 days - Western Mediterranean - so will try to post daily for those who want to follow along or have questions about the Ovation. This will be our third Seabourn sailing ...so we are relative newbies having only sailed on the Odyssey previously. Sailing with two other couples - our closest friends since college days - we have many, many, many memories together and are the only "friends" we would ever think about traveling with! We are all retired except me 😔 which is why my wife and I are still doing 7 day sailings...

We are/were all booked on deck 5 - V1's...but this week when we went to download our docs we were upgraded to a V3 on deck 7... a connecting room next to the white space on the deck plan (which I know is an interior crew staircase). Would I have picked this cabin - no...but based on these boards the interior crew staircase should not present any noise issues and hopefully we have quiet neighbors next door 😂!

Flying out tonight - spending the day (Saturday) and overnight in Rome and we transfer to Civitavecchia on Sunday morning using Rome Cabs (thank you CC board!)

Bob from NY

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunday golf said:

Hope the TK Cocktail Bar has better service than on the Encore recently. All bars on our cruise had excellent service but for the TK bar which had staff that didn’t care!

Thats disappointing. Always been our go to on Ovation and Encore.

Hi Bob,

We’re in Rome now looking forward to our Sunday embarkation.  We have sailed on Odyssey three times but, like you, this is our first on Ovation (my retirement cruise!).  Safe travels and we’ll see you on board!

Bill

TY all for the tips and well wishes!

Bill - nice to meet you. Congratulations on your retirement. The one couple traveling with us - they both retired in October..so in a sense it is a retirement cruise for them and for the other lucky 3 (except me ☹️) who retired during different times. We have been friends since college and have shared all of life's milestones and everything else life can throw at you - we are a lively crew so I am sure we will meet!

Mark - will look for the ladies - what a way to celebrate a birthday! Actually have an eye on a cruise for next year on my birthday!!!!

I'm currently aboard the Ovation and, after a couple of itinerary changes due to weather, we are pulling into Civitavecchia right now (almost noon on Saturday) and will overnight here.  See you all tomorrow. 

jjb415 - TY for the update, Was watching the weather all week and it did look like you had a bit of rain and wind this past week.

Update for us - arrived in Rome this morning. Flight was an hour and 20 minutes early! Scheduled to land at 9:20 and landed at 8:05! JFK was a bit of a zoo last night as was the delta lounge but great flight in Delta Select - Rome Cabs waiting for us and dropped us promptly at our hotel. Rooms of course not ready that early so walked to a nearby cafe for an espresso and then walked around a bit till noon when our rooms were ready. Freshened up and walked some sites - it was "free weekend" in Rome so the area around the Colosseum was mobbed and the line for free tickets was really long so we walked around the Colosseum (outside) and other sites - late afternoon snack and back to the room for a long overdue shower before dinner near our hotel at a recommended "local" restaurant. Planning for a nice relaxing dinner and call it an early night to catch up on sleep. Was hoping to et in an early run in the morning but weather forecast is for showers till about 9:30-10am (and check out is 11) so will see what the morning brings !

Till tomorrow from the Ovation !

• Like 3

Good Monday morning from Portovenere!

Sorry for not posting yesterday.....went for a early morning run in Rome Sunday morning - 1/4 way thru the skys opened up and it poured! Made it back to our hotel - breakfast and Rome Cabs (right on time) to the port. The winds were strong to say the least. Moderate waves once we sailed away - pre dinner drinks in the observation lounge. Went down to the restaurant around 7:30 - walking up to the podium the new restaurant manager at the podium was the Colonade manager on the Odyssey in May!!!!

Great table for the 6 of us - Johannas from South Africa took great care of us - already requested the table for the week (if possible). Rolling seas overnight to say the least!

Off to explore now - more to come!

Bob

• Like 4

The TK bar on the Ovation is great. Were there Two weeks ago and Leroy, the bartender was fabulous. He will fix you anything which is why we always tried (only nine stools) to sit at the bar. If you do a table you will probably be served by Gladys who also is top notch Leroy makes a killer Old Fashioned

TY Braidmacd - we have yet to make it to TK bar - last night had pre-dinner drinks in the club. Better vibe in the Observation Lounge but it was packed  when we went up around 7pm.

Anyone on a future sailing - rest assured all is well on the Ovation (at least for us).

Service top notch - staff as friendly and accommodating as always (except they do not have any Riesling on board ...  but just as happy with the Grüner Veltliner they are pouring!

Great mix on fellow passengers - as usual mix of Brits, Americans and Australians - this cruise definitely skewing MUCH younger then our May Alaska sailing.

Portovenere - absolute lovely port even though our excursion was cancelled to three of the 5 towns (rough seas) - port was charming and would return in a heartbeat.  Off to breakfast in a few

Any questions - ask away. Happy to answer !

Internet has been great - able to work for a few hours each morning 😔 at sea or in port without issue.

• Like 4

Disembarked yesterday ... as you can tell - very little time to post during the sailing.

Fabulous cruise and staff.

Ovation spotless.

I am definitely leaning more toward larger ports/cities and or ports that I can get out there adventure wise. The small ports while charming are quite limited in terms of what can be offered and or what is offered by Seabourn in terms of excursions unless you want to go the route of a private river and car.

Also they definitely need to upgrade their treadmills in the gym.... fortunately the weather Gods were on our side this week in Europe and I was able to run in most ports  along the waterfronts (one of my goals for the trip).

Any questions - ask away - happy to answer any specific questions if I can.

Bob

• Like 2