Dominica on your own?

KKB

None of the ship excursions excite us & the ones on Viator, the times don't work well.

Is there a port area to walk around? 

Not sure what to do & looking for options.

Beaches are OK;  DH won't do ATVs or Zipline. 

We have walked up to a waterfall in Hawaii--Dominica seems to have waterfalls & hot springs.

Best way to see?

Thanks!

Edited by KKB

Now that Levi is no longer in business. I would hire a taxi for the day right outside the gates. You'll see them. 

If you have 4 or more people the cost shouldn't be prohibitive. There's a great market in Roseau GREAT local fruits and vegetables, at the same time you want to get out and experience the island, Dominica has far to much to see up in the mountains not to go up there. Titou Gorge, Tralfager Falls, THE EMERALD POOL.

Nice little shopping area outside in the parking area of the Emerald Pool it's nice out there. 

Snorkeling the champagne reef is really nice too, ocean is full of life. 

Hire a taxi van, shouldn't be a problem. 

Have fun.🌟

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 9:47 PM, KKB said:

None of the ship excursions excite us & the ones on Viator, the times don't work well.

Is there a port area to walk around? 

Not sure what to do & looking for options.

Beaches are OK;  DH won't do ATVs or Zipline. 

We have walked up to a waterfall in Hawaii--Dominica seems to have waterfalls & hot springs.

Best way to see?

Thanks!

TTE (as usual) give excellent info.  
But, if wishing to go Rum Native, then carry an empty resealable bottle (or drink holder) outside the port, follow the road until one sights KFC.  Look directly next door to the right of KFC and one will see a shop what looks like something very ordinary.  
Enter, this was Barb’s Wholesale, then one will see a small row of Rum Casks (with taps).  Ask about each cask age etc, make decision.  Hand over the empty vessel for a filling of “Cask Strength Rum” direct from the Distillery.  Pay a very small amount.
Yes, cask full strength…. It’ll cure almost everything.

This is one of the places where locals buy their Rum, not in pre packed bottles, being watered down to 40%.    Be bold, be brave, be Barb’s

• Like 1

Yummy that's a great idea. 

I always carry an empty bottle or BIG Cups😁🤩😁.

"Cask Strength Rum" that's a treat.

Direct from the distillery?

Your killing me, that sounds wonderful and a GREAT way to start you day on Dominica. 

Fill your cask up and THEN take a tour, first things first sip real deal rum all afternoon in the backseat of a taxi van and go see the island. 

That's Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C. 

Thanks PORT ROYAL. 

• 5 months later...

If taking a private tour, discreetly, and confidentiality, ask one’s driver if it would be possible to try “Bush Rum”.

The rum is basically Moonshine infused with various herbs (?) grown on the island.  

Certain infusions can have the effect of numbing one’s lips and mouth.  With other infusions giving the feeling that one’s eyes are trying to escape via the back of one’s head.

A vendor will have a great variety, with those for the very, very brave “under the counter”.

How brave is one? 😱

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty brave PORT ROYAL😂😂😂😂 especially when it comes to drinking in the Caribbean!!

Bush Rum I won't forget that. Thanks for the heads up!!🤜🤛🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Edited by TTEllis
Typo

Posted (edited)

Ask one’s driver to stop at Melvina’s (If she, or her rum shack, is still around).  - The islander’s name for Bush Rum is “Wa Bio”

Be brave, but be very afraid……

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Wa Bio

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2024 at 11:00 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

If taking a private tour, discreetly, and confidentiality, ask one’s driver if it would be possible to try “Bush Rum”.

The rum is basically Moonshine infused with various herbs (?) grown on the island.  

Certain infusions can have the effect of numbing one’s lips and mouth.  With other infusions giving the feeling that one’s eyes are trying to escape via the back of one’s head.

A vendor will have a great variety, with those for the very, very brave “under the counter”.

How brave is one? 😱

PORT ROYAL I love moonshine😁 I love herbs too!!😁😁😂😂😁😁

I have a question for you I found a cruise for next year it ports in Dominica. Seeing how our friend and pal Levi Baron is no longer doing island tours of some sort.

If you were to go back to Dominica what would you recommend or how would you spend you cruise visit?

I was thinking about trying to get a group together and get our own taxi van. I've never been to a beach on Dominica before I was hoping maybe to end up at a beach with a bar for the afternoon. Thanks for any help Todd

3 hours ago, TTEllis said:

PORT ROYAL I love moonshine😁 I love herbs too!!😁😁😂😂😁😁

I have a question for you I found a cruise for next year it ports in Dominica. Seeing how our friend and pal Levi Baron is no longer doing island tours of some sort.

If you were to go back to Dominica what would you recommend or how would you spend you cruise visit?

I was thinking about trying to get a group together and get our own taxi van. I've never been to a beach on Dominica before I was hoping maybe to end up at a beach with a bar for the afternoon. Thanks for any help Todd

Okay… Here is my personal favourite close to Roseau … Soufriere (Bubble) Beach…

Have recommended Mero in the past, but that’s sadly now gone commercial (Babylon) and downhill.

Yes, Bubble is ethnic, with a shabby ambience, but it is unspoilt, with great snorkelling, as it’s a protected Marine area.  There are sulphur springs from the seabed, better than Champagne and free.

The bars have Bush Rum (have to ask for it)..  Genuinely welcoming and appreciate one’s custom.  Beach shoes are advised for those being of tender feet, because of pebbles in places (not 100% pristine white sand), but Bush is known to relieve any perceived discomfort.  No S.H.T.

Take it as it is..  It’s not trying to be something it’s not..

Bubble sounds just fine. You just made my choice for me. I love ethnic with a shabby ambience I'll fit right in. 

Thank you very much PORT ROYAL.🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

No S.H.T., that'll work.

Appreciate you.