Booking the Caribbean less than 90 Days out

CNSJ

We like to take 2 weeks or more of cruising in the Caribbean each winter. 

Before retiring, when working full time, I tended to book cruises 14-24 months out to be able to plan at work but also to get better cabin selection and take advantage of booking flights when I see a low cost fare.  Now retired I have great deal more flexibility. And want to cruise more..... I have read threads on this forum about the pros and cons of booking after final payment is due.  One con I often hear is that flights become expensive and hotels may be difficult to book pre-post cruise.  There is also the limited number of shorex that may be available as you wait till 90 days out.  I have come up with a solution and am looking for any thoughts ideas.

(1)  Pick one or two cruises that you would like to take about 8-12 months out , and monitor the price for your category.  Then for each cruise:

(2)  Book the pre- and post- cruise hotel (using points or a refundable rate) Note:  with points you usually have no issue cancelling.  

(3)  For the Caribbean we are talking FLL, so book Southwest when the schedule opens and cancel for full credit should you not see a low price.  (I realize this ties up funds).

(4)  Book shore excursions for a cruise you have not yet booked through a third party (non-HAL) that offers free cancellation.

(5) When you do book the cruise, assuming the rate drops to a great price, you have shorex, hotels, and flights all set.

Looking at the HAL prices in caribbean for Dec 2023 -Feb 2024 compared to a year later, I see a significant savings.  If the cruises you had your eye on don't open up, you can always book another at a low fare and change your flight.  

I would not try this method for cruises in Europe, Asia or Australia but the Caribbean has so many options.... Thoughts?

That would work.  The only thing I have done is pile up points to use for hotels and flights so even if it may be expensive the points take away the sting.  For domestic SWA flights and hotels 90 days is more than sufficient to still get a good price.  International flights may be a little trickier.  For my tastes I see no reason to worry about shore excursions in the Caribbean, they are a dime a dozen and readily available or can be duplicated  easily with a taxi ride. 

• Like 2

I live in Florida and once retired in a few years I'll be back home 2 hours from the port, which eliminates any flight or hotel needs.  Excursions are not of interest at this point (after many cruises).  My big issue would be the inability to get a Retreat cabana at short notice - that's a deal breaker in the Caribbean and why I continue to book 1-2 years in advance.  When traveling with friends we want the family cabana, and there are only 2 on the entire ship, so very hard to get close to sailing.  If I didn't care about the Retreat, your advice/plan would make a lot of sense for me!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crew News said:

The only reason to book early is to get a specific stateroom/location . On a Pinnacle-class ship, using Club Orange for stateroom upgrades might be another.

Proving your point: I was hoping to use the "cheapest balcony cabin/Club Orange upgrade" strategy when I booked Nieuw Statendam for 12/27/23 - 1/7/24 last week. Unfortunately Club Orange was sold out on the sailing. 

• Like 1