Info on Puerto Caldera needed

Panhandle Couple

Looks like my upcoming PC cruise will stop in Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica vs Acapulco due to the hurricane.  Several others posting here are on the same itinerary.

I checked out Trip Advisor, and it seems like there are very few options.  NCL has not listed this change on their website, so no links to company sponsored excursions.  The good news is that we seem to have 12 hrs in port, so inland excursions are possible.

Any thoughts appreciated.

24 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thanks.  I didn't see it since it is under Caribbean, and Puerto Caldera is on the Pacific side.

And with that, there seems to be no recent information on Puerto Caldera.  I have noted it is not the same as Puntarenas, they are over 20km apart.

21 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Thanks.  I didn't see it since it is under Caribbean, and Puerto Caldera is on the Pacific side.

And with that, there seems to be no recent information on Puerto Caldera.  I have noted it is not the same as Puntarenas, they are over 20km apart.

Yes, they are a ways apart. However, they are in the same large bay or similar area, and the same general area activities are available at both ports. There is a town at Puntarenas...last time I was at Puerto Caldera there was very little there except a fishing dock. Been to both two times each.

6 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

In the port of call forum (and maybe search in this forum too), look at recommendations for private tour operators serving Puntarenas.  I highly recommend a tour that includes a boat ride on the Tarcoles River.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some ships dock are able to dock at Puntarenas but tides determine whether that is possible and probably the draft of the ship.  Whenever we have docked at Puerto Caldera, an industrial port, there have been tour operators present.  The Tarcoles River boat ride is a good option.  You will see crocodiles and lots of other birds and wildlife.  There are usually lots of other options.  When we have docked at Caldera we could not even walk out of the port area.  There is a building there which may have wi-fi and there will be craft items for sale.

14 hours ago, mcmarya said:

Some ships dock are able to dock at Puntarenas but tides determine whether that is possible and probably the draft of the ship.  Whenever we have docked at Puerto Caldera, an industrial port, there have been tour operators present.  The Tarcoles River boat ride is a good option.  You will see crocodiles and lots of other birds and wildlife.  There are usually lots of other options.  When we have docked at Caldera we could not even walk out of the port area.  There is a building there which may have wi-fi and there will be craft items for sale.

Thanks. If/when NCL gives us the port change notice, we have picked out an excursion, assuming it is offered.

I assume any excursion from that dock will include a shopping area stop along the way.