Planned Ships Course Prior to Sailing

I am booked on the Joy from Southampton to Miami on Feb 13th, 2024. On every itinerary map it shows a direct route diagonally from England to Florida. I am wondering if its possible the ship would head South along the coast of Europe following the Canary Current and then go West following the North Equatorial Current. To that end, is there a website or other resource that ships report their scheduled route to prior to sailing? I assume they have to but cannot figure out where. Thank you in advance.

4 hours ago, freepirate said:

I am booked on the Joy from Southampton to Miami on Feb 13th, 2024. On every itinerary map it shows a direct route diagonally from England to Florida. I am wondering if its possible the ship would head South along the coast of Europe following the Canary Current and then go West following the North Equatorial Current. To that end, is there a website or other resource that ships report their scheduled route to prior to sailing? I assume they have to but cannot figure out where. Thank you in advance.

Unlike the airline industry, the marine industry has no formal reporting requirements of the intended voyage. The onboard requirement is the Master must have a completed passage plan to the destination, prior to departure.

Some companies, based on the SMS, may require copies prior to, or shortly after departure. There is no mandatory reporting to any shore based organisation.

The US Coast Guard operates a voluntary reporting system (AMVER), where vessels will report a sailing plan shortly after departure and update the position daily. This information is confidential and is only used to assist an emergency response/distress. If a vessel issues a distress call, the AMVER system notes any vessel(s) in the vicinity and sends a message to the vessel regarding the distress. Upon receipt, the Master is obligated to respond, in accordance with the laws of the sea. As I mentioned, this information is confidential and is not made public.

The voyage plan is entirely at the discretion of the Master and Navigating Officer. In addition to prevailing currents, they will also factor in winds, weather and distance. The shortest distance is a Great Circle sailing, which takes the vessel into higher Latitudes. On a W'bd TA this also steams into the prevailing currents. Therefore, most Masters will favour a more southerly crossing for a W'bd TA.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Unlike the airline industry, the marine industry has no formal reporting requirements of the intended voyage. The onboard requirement is the Master must have a completed passage plan to the destination, prior to departure.

Some companies, based on the SMS, may require copies prior to, or shortly after departure. There is no mandatory reporting to any shore based organisation.

The US Coast Guard operates a voluntary reporting system (AMVER), where vessels will report a sailing plan shortly after departure and update the position daily. This information is confidential and is only used to assist an emergency response/distress. If a vessel issues a distress call, the AMVER system notes any vessel(s) in the vicinity and sends a message to the vessel regarding the distress. Upon receipt, the Master is obligated to respond, in accordance with the laws of the sea. As I mentioned, this information is confidential and is not made public.

The voyage plan is entirely at the discretion of the Master and Navigating Officer. In addition to prevailing currents, they will also factor in winds, weather and distance. The shortest distance is a Great Circle sailing, which takes the vessel into higher Latitudes. On a W'bd TA this also steams into the prevailing currents. Therefore, most Masters will favour a more southerly crossing for a W'bd TA.

Thank you so much for a quick and thorough response. I am hoping they head south so it is warmer in the second half. Fingers crossed.

Safe travels on your next journey.

If a vessel issues a distress call, the AMVER system notes any vessel(s) in the vicinity and sends a message to the vessel regarding the distress. Upon receipt, the Master is obligated to respond, in accordance with the laws of the sea.

Could have done with that when I was a lad 😁  I have asked USCG Guam for info regarding a distress call but pleas  and deaf ears etc .....

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

If a vessel issues a distress call, the AMVER system notes any vessel(s) in the vicinity and sends a message to the vessel regarding the distress. Upon receipt, the Master is obligated to respond, in accordance with the laws of the sea.

Could have done with that when I was a lad 😁  I have asked USCG Guam for info regarding a distress call but pleas  and deaf ears etc .....

Thank you for your reply. Makes sense.

On 11/10/2023 at 5:42 PM, freepirate said:

Your planned route looks like a nonstop shot into Miami.  You will be in the southern route south of Bermuda.  Other than exiting the English Channel and skirting the Bay of Biscay you should have smooth sailing barring any squalls.  

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Your planned route looks like a nonstop shot into Miami.  You will be in the southern route south of Bermuda.  Other than exiting the English Channel and skirting the Bay of Biscay you should have smooth sailing barring any squalls.  

Thanks for your reply. I hoping for a few warm days on the end of the cruise as we get farther south. Fingers crossed.

On 11/10/2023 at 2:42 PM, freepirate said:

We did the Escape inaugural transatlantic in 2015. It was a 10-day crossing, and I believe around day 6, the weather started to improve as we were getting closer to Bermuda. It was still windy and a bit too cool for me, but the sun was shining and we enjoyed being out on deck. I am thinking that the Joy TA in February will have less than ideal weather for at least the first half, then hopefully improve each day the further south we get.

The pic is of the route we traveled. We had a course deviation in the beginning for medical reasons.

P_20151108_071451.jpg

Edited by sicness4x4

11 hours ago, sicness4x4 said:

We did the Escape inaugural transatlantic in 2015. It was a 10-day crossing, and I believe around day 6, the weather started to improve as we were getting closer to Bermuda. It was still windy and a bit too cool for me, but the sun was shining and we enjoyed being out on deck. I am thinking that the Joy TA in February will have less than ideal weather for at least the first half, then hopefully improve each day the further south we get.

The pic is of the route we traveled. We had a course deviation in the beginning for medical reasons.

P_20151108_071451.jpg

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I’m glad I can look forward to a few warm days at the end.