Hotel Recommendations in Sydney

glee87

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I would be suspicious of any hotel that would request payment in full in advance for August 2024. Ā I also wouldn't want to stay at a hotel whilst it was being renovated. Ā I would phone the hotel direct to check. We used to travel to Sydney at short notice frequently and didn't have problems getting accommodation. Ā 

That is normal. Through the hotel booking sites, you can pre-book and pay and get a discounted price. It was much more popular pre-pandemic, when people found out what non-refundable really means when you book that way.

Ā 

I think that is what I miss the most from those pre-pandemic days - the Trivago girl not being on TV.anymoreĀ šŸ˜‚

Not sure if this is allowed on this forum, but there is another well known travel advisory website. If you go to the Sydney forum there and ask the question about Rydges, there is someone on it who works in the industry and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Sydney hotels.Ā Ā  The hotel itself is unlikely to publicise much in advance that it is closing for renovations.

54 minutes ago, arxcards said:

That is normal. Through the hotel booking sites, you can pre-book and pay and get a discounted price. It was much more popular pre-pandemic, when people found out what non-refundable really means when you book that way.

Ā 

I think that is what I miss the most from those pre-pandemic days - the Trivago girl not being on TV.anymoreĀ šŸ˜‚

Yes I was amazed just how much I booked non refundable on my overseas travels prior to the Pandemic.Ā 

I used to prebook all my flights, accommodation, etc. Ā My first lesson was when MSC relocated a cruise to the USA from Genoa, Italy departure to Germany!! Ā One way cruises can be a problem, so I booked return flights from Milan to Australia, then a single flight from Florida to Milan. Ā I would book any future flights through the cruise line, so they can then handle the cancellation/new booking. Ā It is a whole new world!

Ā 

8 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Not sure if this is allowed on this forum, but there is another well known travel advisory website. If you go to the Sydney forum there and ask the question about Rydges, there is someone on it who works in the industry and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Sydney hotels.Ā Ā  The hotel itself is unlikely to publicise much in advance that it is closing for renovations.

If the site is Trip Advisor, it would be fine to link, as they are part of the same company as cruisecritic.

Ā 

Not publicising is fine, but taking bookings for that timeframe would be a bit Qantas like. It is also the sort of thing at present that they won't have full control over anyway, as any building trades would be engaged on a very approximate time frame.

On 11/16/2023 at 3:07 PM, arxcards said:

We love this place. Do you have a harbourview room or garden room? The Marriot has always been around 1/2 the price of a Quay Grand Harbourview room. I am not sure if anyone ever stays at the Park Hyatt - pretty much the dearest rooms in Australia.

Agree, Marriot is good, views and convenient to OPT.Ā  View from my Marriott window, pre Coral Princess, Sept 2022. Pricey, but very good.

1F71B76B-BB0A-43B6-8997-7EE79D66BF6F.thumb.jpeg.33b545abe4c474e32269560f668fb44d.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am truly sorry everyone for not responding back. I had somethings that I needed to take care of.Ā 

I really appreciate all the response and feedback. I will definitely look into it. I will be going to Australia in

January.Ā 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, glee87 said:

I am truly sorry everyone for not responding back. I had somethings that I needed to take care of.Ā 

I really appreciate all the response and feedback. I will definitely look into it. I will be going to Australia in

January.Ā 

No worries, I hope we have been of help.

• Like 2