Anytime dining "options"

coldweather

Good Day.  We have cruised most mainstream cruise lines and they all seem to handle their version of "anytime dining" in a different way. 

We are new to Princess and plan to eat in the main dining room or buffet.  I see that I can make dinning reservations each day using the app. 

Question - Do I need to make reservations?  Is it recommended to make reservations?

Some lines (carnival) you simply request a table on your phone when you are ready to eat and they text back a table number. This is super easy with no lines and no crowding the hostess desk.

Other lines (pre-pandemic) you could just walk up to the main dining room and get on the wait list.  Sometimes they gave you a buzzer.  

We prefer to eat at a table for 2 and eat early. I am indifferent if we get the same wait staff each night.  Do you recommend we make reservations or just "walk up" each night when we are ready to eat.

Thanks.  I did try to look for the answer to this question and did not find an answer. 

1 hour ago, coldweather said:

Good Day.  We have cruised most mainstream cruise lines and they all seem to handle their version of "anytime dining" in a different way. 

We are new to Princess and plan to eat in the main dining room or buffet.  I see that I can make dinning reservations each day using the app. 

Question - Do I need to make reservations?  Is it recommended to make reservations?

Some lines (carnival) you simply request a table on your phone when you are ready to eat and they text back a table number. This is super easy with no lines and no crowding the hostess desk.

Other lines (pre-pandemic) you could just walk up to the main dining room and get on the wait list.  Sometimes they gave you a buzzer.  

We prefer to eat at a table for 2 and eat early. I am indifferent if we get the same wait staff each night.  Do you recommend we make reservations or just "walk up" each night when we are ready to eat.

Thanks.  I did try to look for the answer to this question and did not find an answer. 

On our most recent cruise last month, I made a reservation for the same time each night of the cruise - a night at a time on the app.  After the first night's madhouse, we spotted a section we liked and asked the maitre d if she could reserve that table for us for the following night. She reserved it for us for the rest of the cruise.  From then on we just walked in and walked right to our table.

If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

• Thanks 2

If you arrive right at 5, or wait until 8 you likely won't need a reservation to be seated immediately.  If you want to show up after 6PM you might want to make a reservation, and as previously mentioned, talk to the maître d about reserving a specific table and time.

A typical dinner will last around 90 minutes, so all the 5pm people will still be there when the 6 and 6:20 reservation people arrive, along with everyone who arrived for the 5:20, and 5:40 reservations.

• Thanks 1

We also prefer a table for two and have found that we definitely benefit from a reservation. I would encourage you to make a reservation using the app in advance of your cruise and try to find a table you like the first night. If you prefer not to be seated in one of the two tops that are grouped closely together in a line, you can ask for one of the tables for two that are more separate. That is our preference. If you can find one that suits you from the first night and then lock in a standing reservation, it will make your whole dining experience easier and more enjoyable and you can just head straight to your reserved table for the rest of your cruise without standing in line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

On our most recent cruise last month, I made a reservation for the same time each night of the cruise - a night at a time on the app.  After the first night's madhouse, we spotted a section we liked and asked the maitre d if she could reserve that table for us for the following night. She reserved it for us for the rest of the cruise.  From then on we just walked in and walked right to our table.

If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

This is the best answer, IMO!  

• Thanks 1