IS this formal enough?

Im on a budget and found this dress, actually at Smartbargains for $29.00! It is silk with a little sequins. Is this formal enough? Im going on a 5 day cruise on the Monarch. All the dresses poting here are so beautiful and flowing. Im concerned I will not be dressed up enough! What do you think?

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp#

Cindy

Cindy,

It's a pretty dress but it's not a formal one.

If you're on a tight budget and love it, you won't be prevented from going to the Capt's party or the dining room wearing it. You simply won't be as formally dressed as most others.

Some of the ladies here have gotten some very formal dresses from Ebay, consignment shops and mark-down racks from stores like Davids Bridal and JC Penney for under $30.00. So if you want to be formally dressed, keep looking.

It would be perfect for an informal night, so if you can afford both, you'd probably get alot of use of this dress for other occasions too.

Cindy,

I think it is lovely and formal enough with the right jewelry and shoes. I was on Navigator last year and as I posted on another thread you will see everything on formal nights from what you might view as quite casual to evening gowns. I myself wore a black, Ralph Lauren, sequined and beaded, to the knee skirt with a little black wrap sweater and satin slingbacks with rocking jewelry on formal night and felt great!! My husband was in a black suit and he looked quite handsome. I think people sweat the "formal" stuff too much. Remember there are a couple of thousand people on the ship and they all have different ideas of what is formal.

Hope this helps.

A:D

I'd have to agree with some of the posters here if you were going on a 7 night cruise. But, I've been on this ship 3 times, most recently this past November and I feel the dress will be just fine.

The shorter cruise market typically is a more casual cruise. While you will still see some people dressed formally, the vast majority is far more casual than a longer cruise. This dress will, in my opinion, be more dressy than a lot of what I saw on our last Monarch cruise.

You'll have a fun time on this cruise, the 4 day stops in San Diego (my favorite), Catalina (a gem!) and if you're vacationed out, stay onboard in Ensenada and have the ship to yourselves. If you do get off in Ensenada, make sure you go on an excursion, the downtown shopping area is seedy and no big deal. Right off the ship there is a shopping area and while the prices may be slightly higher, very much representative of what you will find in town.

I think it is very pretty. IME, less people wear actual "formal" (ballgown) type outfits than they do very dressy cocktail outfits. I think if you accessorize nicely you will be just fine with that dress, especially on a shorter cruise.

It is 90% about how you *feel* in the outfit versus whether you wear a ballgown versus semi-formal cocktail attire. Again, as you can easily see, opinions will vary. My personality is such that I would rather be on the underdressed side than the overdressed side (albeit, still dressing appropriately for the occassion), so my opinions slant in that direction.

I tend to bring one pair of gorgeous black cocktail pants with two different cocktail tops, versus gowns. Just so you have some perspective on who's opinion you are getting. :)

Tracy

Thanks for the opinions. boy, what a vast difference between everyone! :)

I had heard that the Monarch was not that fancy of a formal night. Especially the 5 day. Most people don't dress up here in so Cal anyway. I don't mind dressing up more formal, but not possible at this time. My hubby is wearing a navy suit jacket, grey slacks, lt blue shirt and matching tie. Kids have cute skirts with cami's and shrugs. So I will need to blend somewhat. If I go with this dress, would I wear silver heels or maybe a pearlized white? I also have another dress on the way via UPS. I do not know how it looks on me but it is lilac with sequin flowers on it, knee length and spaghetti strap. I think it is silk and Chiffon. It was twice as much and I ordered it before I saw the aqua one so Im not sure if budget will allow but how does that one sound? I can't send a pic, they sold out of them and took the pic off the site. Also, a big concern for me is that Im always cold! Will I be cold in the dining rooms?

Oh, more questions =} Are there jeans allowed at all on the ship? Would I wear dresses or skirts to dinner everynight or can I wear cotton pants and a nice cotton shirt? I really have no clue!

Cindy:confused:

To me the dress isn't really 'formal' but is very dressy and perfect for informal nights. That said, you will see many people dressed similarly for formal night and won't be out of place. I just like to dress up more! Silvery shoes would look great!

Jeans aren't really appropriate for the dining room but are ok in most other venues. I probably wouldn't wear jeans on a cruise, except for Alaska, but would be more comfortable in cotton slacks or capris. (This depends on the weather, of course.) Nice cotton slacks or capris and cotton tops are fine for casual nights and dressier slacks and tops for other nights.

Archived