Fur coat and no knickers

jaxw17

33 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

not adults only but by afternoon it was overtaken by kids "

How dare kids use a facility that they are allowed to use. I'm shocked and appalled. Maybe you should put up a sign next time informing people the pool is for your sole use?

They should have tut,tut areas for those who wish to criticise every thing. Kids in the pool...whatever next.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Also I have a question for those guests who don't like the big ships?

On the smaller ships I assume:

There aren't any favourite areas to sunbathe?

Nobody gets up early to choose their favourite sunbeds?

Andy nobody saves sunbed with towels?

It's some kind of perfect utopian world on these ships?

Oh they absolutely do. In fact I witnessed 2 older people having a physical fist fight on Oriana (this was before they ruined Oriana and Aurora by making them adult only 😉).

We started cruising when our daughter was 2, she’s 24 now, so this kind of nonsense about kids has been around since before then. Adults have the choice to sail on adult only ships whereas there aren’t any family only ships.

I could detail the verbal abuse we received as a cruising family over the years but to be honest it makes my boil even now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gettingwarmer said:

So you are happy not to be able to sit at your favourite bar in the pool and will give it up to the children. 

Honestly as a couple we've never been unable to sit at that bar any time we've tried (which I find amazing tbh as its not a big pool with lots of seats). And we went in twice a day ish on sea days and were on Arvia in a February half term week

Never experienced kids in the swim up bar pool 

If I did and it became an ongoing problem and it actually spoilt my enjoyment rather than a rare blip then I would check the rules and complain to someone about it if the rules do says kids aren't allowed in that pool?

They are certainly allowed in the infinity pool next to the bar

I've honestly never checked the rules to see if kids are allowed in the swim up pool as I've honestly never needed to as I've not seen it

If I went in the swim up bar and kids were hogging the bar seats I might get upset

If I went in there and some kids weren't hogging the bar seats and were snorkelling but not bothering me I would probably smile and not mention the rules

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

So you are happy not to be able to sit at your favourite bar in the pool and will give it up to the children. 

Is someone now suggesting that kids were sat on the seats at the swim up bar with snorkels and flippers on ?

That would make a great photo tbh

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

4 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Oh they absolutely do. In fact I witnessed 2 older people having a physical fist fight on Oriana (this was before they ruined Oriana and Aurora by making them adult only 😉).

We started cruising when our daughter was 2, she’s 24 now, so this kind of nonsense about kids has been around since before then. Adults have the choice to sail on adult only ships whereas there aren’t any family only ships.

I could detail the verbal abuse we received as a cruising family over the years but to be honest it makes my boil even now.

I did doubt that reserving sunbeds with towels and the best places going early only happened on Iona and Arvia and Britannia and Azura as I've seen for myself

Kids equally noisy on all those ships in all decades as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I like the big ships but also cruise on the smaller ones and generally prefer as the P&O ones are adult only.

There are favourite places to sunbathe which of course will vary from peoples opinion of favourite. People still reserve sunbeds, again depending what early means to you. We get up usually between 07:00 and 08:00 and have a leisurely breakfast then get our gear and go out on deck around 09:00 by which time there will be a quite a few sunbeds reserved, however we have never had a problem getting ours albeit we may not be in our "favourite" areas.

When we cruise on Iona in 2025 I would expect the situation to be similar as it would be on any other P&O ship we have cruised for 35 nights (Oceana, Ventura) as the clientele will be mainly retired people getting away for the winter sun, without doubt there will be some children travelling with grand parents as we have seen previously.

So no utopian world, but probably far different to cruising on Iona at other times of the year on shorter cruises. I would add that we are easy going and adapt easily to the situations we find ourselves in plus we are fortunate enough to be able to pick our cruises to suit our needs so do not see lots of the issues that people are reporting. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I like the big ships but also cruise on the smaller ones and generally prefer as the P&O ones are adult only.

There are favourite places to sunbathe which of course will vary from peoples opinion of favourite. People still reserve sunbeds, again depending what early means to you. We get up usually between 07:00 and 08:00 and have a leisurely breakfast then get our gear and go out on deck around 09:00 by which time there will be a quite a few sunbeds reserved, however we have never had a problem getting ours albeit we may not be in our "favourite" areas.

When we cruise on Iona in 2025 I would expect the situation to be similar as it would be on any other P&O ship we have cruised for 35 nights (Oceana, Ventura) as the clientele will be mainly retired people getting away for the winter sun, without doubt there will be some children travelling with grand parents as we have seen previously.

So no utopian world, but probably far different to cruising on Iona at other times of the year on shorter cruises. I would add that we are easy going and adapt easily to the situations we find ourselves in plus we are fortunate enough to be able to pick our cruises to suit our needs so do not see lots of the issues that people are reporting. 

I can assure you that at the time you rise on the bigger ships on sea days even in half term weeks that sunbeds (and chairs) will still be available down the sides of the ship in good numbers 

Especially in shaded areas. I know as often to get out of the sun for 15 minutes I would take my book and go and sit in the shade somewhere

Next to the pools and in the prime places for sun all day are the places sunbeds won't be available at that time

• Like 1

Using anything involving kids behaviour to criticise a ship which allows kids but at the same time saying you prefer the ambiance of the smaller ships (that actually don't allow kids) is actually causing a lot of the disagreements on here as I think about it

I totally get people saying they prefer adult only cruise ships. Totally get it. 

But instead on here they tend to  say they prefer the smaller ships

But I think that's very very much tied in with them being adult only options now and quieter and calmer as a result

Imagine kids on these smaller ships and drinks packages and school holiday weeks

All the same complaints would happen we get on the bigger family ships

• Like 1

I do wonder why some people seem surprised / angry that they chose to go on a cruise ship with 5000+ other members of the Great British public and then discovered that there were other people on board, some of whom were children and some of whom may have behaved less than courteously having partaken in a couple of alcoholic beverages.  Of course, that is all P&Os fault because none of the other mass market lines allow children, sunbed hogs or people with bad manners onboard.

Perhaps these people usually only cruise on their private yachts where they can choose which (if any) other guests they allow onboard, but occasionally opt to slum it on P&O and then expect the same?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I do wonder why some people seem surprised / angry that they chose to go on a cruise ship with 5000+ other members of the Great British public and then discovered that there were other people on board, some of whom were children and some of whom may have behaved less than courteously having partaken in a couple of alcoholic beverages.  Of course, that is all P&Os fault because none of the other mass market lines allow children, sunbed hogs or people with bad manners onboard.

Perhaps these people usually only cruise on their private yachts where they can choose which (if any) other guests they allow onboard, but occasionally opt to slum it on P&O and then expect the same?

For many years we avoided cruising. Our friends told us all the things we were missing . Gin and IT pre dinner, eat with the captain if you are favoured. Talks on interesting stuff, like violin tuning, sequence dancing . We decided not for us. When Ocean Village and Island cruising started we gave it a  go and enjoyed it. We don't miss the " good old days " at all, but quite like the bed turned down with a chocolate on the pillow.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Raucous behavior from older people on Oriana?

Do we know if P and O had encouraged them to be on the drinks package or not?

59 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

"As I reported we had inclement weather in May. Being a swimmer I naturally turned to the Skydome but not once could I get in that pool during 14 nights"

No mention of time there though. You assume again.

46 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Perhaps they send the butler down....Parker, go and save some sunbeds before the oiks wake up.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, paularmstrong said:

I doubt the draught lager will be premium , Celebrity Tui NCL were not limited . 

It's Moretti it appears, used to be Peroni -two very decent offerings which are classed as Premium, 15 of those would sink most people. 

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

For many years we avoided cruising. Our friends told us all the things we were missing . Gin and IT pre dinner, eat with the captain if you are favoured. Talks on interesting stuff, like violin tuning, sequence dancing . We decided not for us. When Ocean Village and Island cruising started we gave it a  go and enjoyed it. We don't miss the " good old days " at all, but quite like the bed turned down with a chocolate on the pillow.

Ocean Village was our first cruise . One thing for certain the chocolate in the tumble driers on the OP's review wasn't from the turn down 🙂

We're on Arvia in January, going on with our eyes wide open but mainly for the itinerary .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Meanwhile P and O spending millions of pounds on adverts trying to attract nice people to enjoy family holidays with them enjoying outdoor activities and rarely an alcoholic drink on view

But still accused of going targetting  people who want drinks packages leading to raucous behaviour never before seen on a cruise ship

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's just new complaint after new complaint MB

You surely aren't witnessing any of this at 6.45am when you went for your swim as you've now explained?

No when I chose to go there for ice cream, have a burger and on one occasion to sit and read.  You may recall water poured through the roof on to me and several others, but probably not. A and it's not a complaint just an observation.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Read my post #30

And in the interests of fairness Britannia last Christmas had a good few of these types of individuals too I'm afraid.

"

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

No mention of time there though. You assume again.

You only mentioned late afternoon in your inclement weather post when you complained about people drinking alcohol, raucous behaviour and not being able to swim 

I cannot say they were all on the drinks package but I can confirm many had imbibed way too much by late afternoon with the consequent loud screaming and raucous behaviour.

Since then you've said you actually go there to swim at 6.45am and you aren't stupid enough to go later on (stupid was your word not mine)

So I cant really figure out where swimming comes into it anymore and what  impact people having the  drinks package and being loud in the afternoon  and sunbeds having towels on them at 6.45am actually has on you being able to swim in there as you would like to at 6.45am ?

I've lost you MB

Also no idea why you then put yourself back there late afternoon when you clearly don't like  it there then?

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Read my post #30

And in the interests of fairness Britannia last Christmas had a good few of these types of individuals too I'm afraid.

"

Yes ive noted that I was thinking about the even smaller ships. The ones Im now starting to figure out many (not all) prefer as they don't have families with kids on them making noise or using pools etc

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You only mentioned late afternoon in your inclement weather post when you complained about people drinking alcohol, raucous behaviour and not being able to swim 

I cannot say they were all on the drinks package but I can confirm many had imbibed way too much by late afternoon with the consequent loud screaming and raucous behaviour.

Since then you've said you actually go there to swim at 6.45am and you aren't stupid enough to go later on (stupid was your word not mine)

So I cant really figure out where swimming comes into it anymore and what  impact people having the  drinks package and being loud in the afternoon  and sunbeds having towels on them at 6.45am actually has on you being able to swim in there as you would like to at 6.45am ?

I've lost you MB

Also no idea why you then put yourself back there late afternoon when you clearly don't like  it there then?

Believe it or not I wanted an ice cream in the afternoon and strangely it was in that area. It is an observation no more than your comment on the Atrium as being a place to pass through. Before you say it The Quays ice cream shop was only serving the ice cream tea at that time so the Skydome was the obvious place to go.

I'm not playing your games, I still consider Majortom's view is his own and I concur with what he saw. 

14 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

No when I chose to go there for ice cream, have a burger and on one occasion to sit and read.  You may recall water poured through the roof on to me and several others, but probably not. A and it's not a complaint just an observation.

I fetch snacks from there. Sometimes sit there and eat them. Sometimes takes them to other places on the ship. For sure if I didnt think it was pleasant there for any reason (or even just over crowded) at the time I would move elsewhere 

In the Fjords more than once we read books looklng out to sea from in there I seem to remember

Must have been pleasant of we wouldn't have done