Allegra With Bonine?

3ric

1 hour ago, 3ric said:

Hi everyone, i have my doctor as well and check the drugs interaction but wondering if anyone is taking Allegra With bonine? have they had challenges taking both?

quite frankly, your Pharmacist has better knowledge and access to data and information than your doctor.  Ask them first and save your doctors time.

this is a pharmacists key education area and it is what they do.  It is one key reason you should get all your medications from one place because their computer systems should be able to signal bad combinations.

• Thanks 1

thanks! i didnt think about that but I definitely need to change pharmacy!! the lady at walgreens couldnt even tell me the difference between allegra and allegra d and the recommended dosage for adults ... 

1 hour ago, 3ric said:

Hi everyone, i have my doctor as well and check the drugs interaction but wondering if anyone is taking Allegra With bonine? have they had challenges taking both?

I agree with Meander Ingwa, but I'd suggest asking BOTH your physician and a pharmacist.

Unfortunately, at many pharmacies, the only drug interactions that are likely to be caught involve those dispensed by the pharmacist, not the OTC meds such as naprosyn or... Bonine (unless it's actually a regular Rx).

The pharmacist does specialize in the "drugs".  But your physician specializes a bit more in *you*, and may know how *you* react to things (or don't react).

And IF you then decide it's okay, then *please* try BOTH of them at home - together - well before you are leaving.  I'd do 2 days in a row, as some of these meds can stay in the system somewhat, and how long they stay can also vary a bit from person to person.

GC

• Like 1

there is a very good Medical website where you can search for " can you take Alegra with Bonine".  It should give you the answers.  I take Bonnie and it says avoid alcohol. Yeah right, Im on a cruise.  I get very seasick but with the newer and bigger ships, you rarely feel the roll or pitch.  

On 11/15/2023 at 8:42 AM, 3ric said:

I take Allegra every day and Bonine twice a day while cruising with the blessing of both my general doc and my allergist.  Never an issue 

On 11/15/2023 at 10:09 AM, 3ric said:

thanks! i didnt think about that but I definitely need to change pharmacy!! the lady at walgreens couldnt even tell me the difference between allegra and allegra d and the recommended dosage for adults ... 

Did you have this conversation with an actual pharmacist? In a lot of the chain pharmacies, the techs handle most, if not all, of the patient interactions because the pharmacist is too overworked. 

• Like 2

i guess i did not, it didnt cross my mind to insist on the tech to go check with a pharmacist. However i did a trial of 60mg of allegra and it was awful after 2 days i was nauseous, with a massive constant headache. id take my allergies anyday over that. Then i tried 1/2 a bonine  at night and that was awful too. could not function the next day.  just moving my body felt like a massive effort, or speaking. effects lasted a full 24 hrs and only eased up after maybe 18+hrs. i bought ginger capsule, and hoping for the best.. 

7 hours ago, 3ric said:

i guess i did not, it didnt cross my mind to insist on the tech to go check with a pharmacist. However i did a trial of 60mg of allegra and it was awful after 2 days i was nauseous, with a massive constant headache. id take my allergies anyday over that. Then i tried 1/2 a bonine  at night and that was awful too. could not function the next day.  just moving my body felt like a massive effort, or speaking. effects lasted a full 24 hrs and only eased up after maybe 18+hrs. i bought ginger capsule, and hoping for the best.. 

Ok. Then completely disregard my post. You seem to have a strong reaction to both allegra and bonine so in your case it may be a bad idea to take either of them. I have no side effects to either and have no issues combining them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 3ric said:

And this ^^ is why it is SO important to try any meds while one is still "at home".

I'm sorry these meds didn't work for you, but at least they won't mess with your vacation!

GC

Has anyone had experiences or been warned about urinary retention after  taking seasickness meds?

I've had retention 2x, once on a ship...not pretty, and am doing the Drake's Passage (Antarctica) in January.  Maybe I should just not take anything 

Just wanted to give an update for those who worry about their first trip. I started the trip with ginger capsule and seabands. I didnt believe at all in seabands but figured it couldnt hurt. ginger def seems to help (caps and lozenges). the sea has been VERY calm and the seaband are quite tight so i took them off one full morning. that afternoon I started feeling exhausted/ lightly nauseous. i put the bands back on, took a capsule, had a quick nap and started feeling better. Clearly the bands do something, whenever i remove them i feel slightly worse. Overall, so far, this very much feels like altitude sickness where your body is tired from adapting to a different setting. (something i also cant take meds for)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 3ric said:

Just wanted to give an update for those who worry about their first trip. I started the trip with ginger capsule and seabands. I didnt believe at all in seabands but figured it couldnt hurt. ginger def seems to help (caps and lozenges). the sea has been VERY calm and the seaband are quite tight so i took them off one full morning. that afternoon I started feeling exhausted/ lightly nauseous. i put the bands back on, took a capsule, had a quick nap and started feeling better. Clearly the bands do something, whenever i remove them i feel slightly worse. Overall, so far, this very much feels like altitude sickness where your body is tired from adapting to a different setting. (something i also cant take meds for)

Thx

On 11/19/2023 at 12:34 PM, CPT Trips said:

Did you have this conversation with an actual pharmacist? In a lot of the chain pharmacies, the techs handle most, if not all, of the patient interactions because the pharmacist is too overworked. 

If a pharmacy tech is discussing drug interactions with customers that is beyond their scope and illegal 

I had cleared the interaction with my doc  so didnt expect that kind of advice but inwas surprised that the pharmacy staff could not tell me what the difference between allegra and allegra d was and what 60 mg and 180mg was for either. 

Tru

1 hour ago, Omax4 said:

If a pharmacy tech is discussing drug interactions with customers that is beyond their scope and illegal 

True. But it does happen. I’ve had questions answered by a tech, only got the pharmacist after requesting one.