Train in Skagway

kayehall

3 hours ago, nglenden said:

will be in Skagway oct 6 No train tours available thru NCL either. Need to find alternative 

The last trains of the season going to and from White Pass and Fraser operate on October 2, 2024, so that's not an option. The trains to and from Carcross cease operating even earlier, on September 14, 2024. The only railroad service operating after October 2, 2024, and through October 23, 2024, is a shortened excursion to and from Inspiration Point, a distance of 18.3 miles from Skagway. Trains will depart from Skagway on October 6, 2024, at 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., returning to Skagway at 11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., respectively. Round-trip excursion fare is $139 for adults, half-fare for children aged 3 through 12 years. Book directly with the White Pass and Yukon Route. http://www.wpyr.com/excursions/product/journey-to-inspiration-point

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this thread - thank you so much. 

This is our first time in Alaska this summer - it will not be our last as we are already planning for 2025. 

Now the question is which Chilkoot Charter to pick?  We are there from 7 am to 5 pm. 

BENNETT SCENIC JOURNEY vs. YUKON RAIL & BUS EXCURSION

6 hours ago, flvol77 said:

I'm glad I found this thread - thank you so much. 

This is our first time in Alaska this summer - it will not be our last as we are already planning for 2025. 

Now the question is which Chilkoot Charter to pick?  We are there from 7 am to 5 pm. 

BENNETT SCENIC JOURNEY vs. YUKON RAIL & BUS EXCURSION

Bennett

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 4:35 PM, Coral said:

I would do Chilkoot as you get a large van as opposed to a bus. Less people getting off and on wasting time.

The cruise lines (and Chilkoot) have dedicated cars. So if you are with the cruise line, as one car fills up, people go to the next car, etc... Chilkoot will have a car for the people on their tour. So it doesn't matter who you book with as far as train.

I would do an all day tour.  I would probably do this one: https://chilkootcharters.com/yukon-rail-bus/ 

or this one: https://chilkootcharters.com/bennett-scenic-journey/ 

Most ships are in Skagway all day so you have time to see Skagway after.

Thanks for the info on this thread.  Curious if the ship docks at 7am, is there enough time to make the 730 excursion with Chilkoot?    Thanks !

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, sdear said:

Thanks for the info on this thread.  Curious if the ship docks at 7am, is there enough time to make the 730 excursion with Chilkoot?    Thanks !

Yes there should be. Are you doing the bus first? If so - there will be several from your ship on your tour. Whenever I have booked with them - I have walked off the ship and down the pier to where the tour guides are. 

I would email them and tell them what ship you are on and that you want to do the 7:30 tour. They will tell you if it is a go or not. Everyone on my tour came from my ship.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Yes there should be. Are you doing the bus first? If so - there will be several from your ship on your tour. Whenever I have booked with them - I have walked off the ship and down the pier to where the tour guides are. 

I would email them and tell them what ship you are on and that you want to do the 7:30 tour. They will tell you if it is a go or not. Everyone on my tour came from my ship.

I was thinking about booking the train first at 730 am.   Their website said we will be fine..but wondered if anyone has done the 730 route.     

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, sdear said:

I was thinking about booking the train first at 730 am.   Their website said we will be fine..but wondered if anyone has done the 730 route.     

I haven't done the train first.

I have never been late into Skagway. I don't think it will be an issue but I would call or email them. They would know for sure. You will not be the only person from your ship on that tour.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, sdear said:

I asked them that today, and they responded quickly - here was Stacy's response (we are on the Ovation of the Seas from 7 am to 5 pm) 

I hope this helps - it does for us, and we booked right afterward.  Thanks for everyone's help.  

"Yes, there is time for you to participate in our Bennett Scenic Journey at 7:30am.  This tour arrives back to Skagway at approximately 3:30pm.

If your cruise ship is scheduled in Skagway at 7:00AM, there is ample time for you to make our 7:30AM departure time.  Even though the ship’s schedule is 7:00AM, the cruise ship arrives in Skagway between 5:30AM and 6:00AM.  Our local longshoremen spend approximately 45 minutes tying the ship up to the dock and setting the gangway in place so that cruise passengers can disembark promptly at 7:00AM.  You merely need to walk to the end of the pier, and we will be there waiting for you carrying a sign with our business name on it."

• Like 1