Joy - best bar for Bloody Mary & Cuba Libre?

Number34

I’m on the Joy for the 11/25 cruise to Panama Canal. In the Haven and have FAS+. Question is that the only two cocktails I really enjoy before dinner are a Bloody Mary or a Cuba Libre (OK, I will try a martini if I have to….) and would like advice on which bar is best for them? I don’t like the ones that are premixed and wonder whether it is worth asking for ‘top shelf’ vodka or rum? 

The Haven bar usually has the best bartenders (mixologists) on the ship. It’s my understanding that Christian and Rodnie are currently bartending in the Haven Joy (if you see them say Gary and Mary say hi). They are both masters. They can add infused ingredients to your Bloody Mary like Jalapeños . If you have FAS+, I would recommend asking for Chopin Vodka, it’s a Polish potato vodka that is extremely smooth and excellent in Bloody Marys and Caesars. You won’t be disappointed.

Edited by gmbhardy
More detailed info
  • Like 1

I second this.  We did the Haven on the Joy and the Haven Bar and Bartenders were the best.  If you don't like the drink, they will ask you what you don't like about it and then make something more amazing.  My wife is not a drinker and they would just ask her how she I's feeling and what her plans for dinner are and then make her a drink that was surprisingly close to exactly what she didn't know she wanted.  They were alot of fun.

I was in the Joy twice this year, neither time in the Haven, and couldn't find a good Bloody Mary at any bar, even though I tried.  The trouble was mostly the tomato juice mix, it's the cheapo kind in a giant bag that the bartenders need to embellish with Worcestershire, salt, pepper, etc.  Always was overly thin and watery.  Too bad. 

Please let us know if you do find a good bar/bartender in any of the other general population places.

Have a wonderful cruise!