Insider tips for new NCL cruisers

tashaaa

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Y ou can eat there as often as you wish to pay for the priveledge.  Free At Sea includes two visits for two people.   To eat there more,  you will have to purchase additional meals.  

Got it. Thanks for the info.

14 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

For those who haven't cruised before.   

Make sure you have a carry on with ALL documents, ALL medicines and a SPARE everything just in case you are one of the MANY unlucky ones whose luggage never arrives on board. 

That may be a bit overkill, unless you plan to have a huge carryon.  Medications?  Sure.  We pack the days required and take redundant quantities in my backpack.  ALL documents?  Not sure what that would be.  Certainly you need to hand carry your passport.  Copy of the eDocs might be useful, but likely not necessary.  Everything else?  That's what the cloud is for (although I do download some to my iPad).  SPARE everything?  I insist on a change of clothes, since having one change of clothes is infinitely better than no changes of clothes.  At this point my backpack is full and I'm just living on the edge with the rest of it.... 🤣

Are there really MANY unlucky ones whose luggage never arrives on board?  I quite honestly can't remember a single first hand report.  Why wouldn't the luggage checked with a Porter at the cruise terminal make it onto the ship?

• Like 4

Another one that someone prompted me about when there was a question asked/comment made that had been previously written about on a Roll Call.

Read all posts on your Roll Call rather than just go to the end, there is usually so much information on there that you won't have any questions!!

A P

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

If you are in a balcony you are entitled to use the coffee pot.  Lately it's kept on a high shelf so just ask your steward to set it up for you and he will also provide the coffee. Cream and sugar/substitute.

We are going on the Jade 12/10/23 and are booked in a balcony stateroom.  Do you know if coffee is available in the stateroom on this ship, as well

1 hour ago, ttdbythesea said:

We are going on the Jade 12/10/23 and are booked in a balcony stateroom.  Do you know if coffee is available in the stateroom on this ship, as well

I believe so   Just ask your steward to set it up for you.

Here is some info and tips from my cruise on the Joy in October.  

1) If you cancel a shore excursion you will get a refund less the $50 promotional fee they applied.   Makes sense but it looked weird on my expense portfolio so had to ask.

2) If you have a credit on your account when you leave the ship they will not let you leave the ship and will give it back to you in cash (I assumed it would go back to credit card on file, this is the first time Ieft with a credit).  Do this the last night so you don't have to deal with it while trying to exit in the morning.

3) If you want to upgrade your internet, wait until halfway through the cruise and before you exhaust your free minutes. The internet app will give you pricing to upgrade and it is so much cheaper.  

4) Always bring a sweater or sweatshirt even when going to warmer climates.   The A/C inside keeps it chilly. 

5) Binculars - we have a small pair of binaculars we bring on all our cruises. You never know when you may need them. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2023 at 2:55 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are there really MANY unlucky ones whose luggage never arrives on board?  I quite honestly can't remember a single first hand report.  Why wouldn't the luggage checked with a Porter at the cruise terminal make it onto the ship?

Well. I was one of those people.  Years ago on A RCCL cruise they dropped five pieces of luggage over board, into them into the MS River.  They did not fess up to what happened until the second afternoon.  I had literally the clothes on my back and a tee shirt they gave me to sleep in.  Long, long story, but after one of my humorous letters to the CEO of Royal, complete with blow by blow retelling of my tale, we received a complimentary 7 day cruise on the ship of our choice.  This cruise is known in our household as The Neck’ed on the Hgh Seas Cruise”

Which is why I never ever check baggage on planes or cruise ships.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Well. I was one of those people.  Years ago on A RCCL cruise they dropped five pieces of luggage over boards, into them into the MS River.  They did not fess up to what happened until the second afternoon.  I had literally the clothes on my bag and a tee shirt they gave me to sleep in.  Long, long story, but after one of my humorous blow by blow retelling of my tale, we received a complimentary 7 day cruise on the ship of our choice.  This cruise is known in our household as The Neck’ed on the Hgh Seas Cruise”

Which is why I never ever check baggage on planes or cruise ships.

Not sure if that was a happy ending or not?  I'm still waiting to hear from the "MANY," but obviously it has happened at least once.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:24 AM, mugtech said:

When you check in online don't worry about the picture you must submit.  After two or three failures the program will tell you that you must have your picture taken when you check in at the pier, then it will let you complete check in.

Mine didn't the other day, I had to keep resubmitting different photos  till it was accepted