Most Economical Way Of Booking Airfare From Europe To U.S.?

rienreiter

Hi All:

I will be on a trans-atlantic and need to find a way to book economical one-way fares from London back to Miami. Does anyone know of a website where this can be obtained or have any suggestions on how this can be accomplished?

I looked at one-way fares between London and Miami and they hover around $900. If I book a round-trip flight and not use the return portion, then I'm looking at around $750 which is a little better. I'm just trying to find out of a way in which I can buy only one way and still come out ahead of the game if it can be done.

Any suggestions or advice than anyone can give me is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Hi All:

I will be on a trans-atlantic and need to find a way to book economical one-way fares from London back to Miami. Does anyone know of a website where this can be obtained or have any suggestions on how this can be accomplished?

I looked at one-way fares between London and Miami and they hover around $900. If I book a round-trip flight and not use the return portion, then I'm looking at around $750 which is a little better. I'm just trying to find out of a way in which I can buy only one way and still come out ahead of the game if it can be done.

Any suggestions or advice than anyone can give me is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

First place I would try is AerLingus. One of the few international airlines that offer true one way fares at not too bad a price-less than $350.00US out of London into JFK. You would also have to fly from NYC to Miami, but that should be an easy ticket to purchase on a one way basis. JetBlue has a large presence at JFK and sells one way tickets. Aer Lingus often have sales.

http://www.flyaerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/bookonline/webdealMarket.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0208334153.1142875141@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgaddhflglmkkcefecfigdffgdfkh.0

You could try MaxJet. Business class flights from NY to London. They are having a special right now. Must book by March 27, but the ticket is good until Dec. 31. Flights on Tues/Wed only. http://www.maxjet.com/max_rules.php

I would definitely break up any trip into two parts-overseas to/from NY/BOS and NY/BOS to Florida. Best fares are generally from one of the East Coast hubs to/from Europe. And you can always get a one way to Florida.

One other option: book a return ticket with the furthest out return date you can get. Pick a Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturday return. Who knows, you may want to take another trip to Europe and can use your ticket, maybe with only a $100.00 change fee. BA sometimes has great sale fares, but those are generally into NYC.

I would definitely break up any trip into two parts-overseas to/from NY/BOS and NY/BOS to Florida. Best fares are generally from one of the East Coast hubs to/from Europe. And you can always get a one way to Florida.

Good advice, with a caveat: If you have two separate tickets, it is possible that you will not be able to interline your luggage, and would have to do a claim, schelp, and recheck at JFK or BOS. Given that both airports are of the multiple terminal building design, this may be a serious issue.

If you have two separate tickets, it is possible that you will not be able to interline your luggage, and would have to do a claim, schelp, and recheck at JFK or BOS.

Whether there is an interline agreement or not, you will have to claim your baggage upon your international arrival in the USA to schelp pass customs. Once you do, there is a quick check in for your baggage right past customs (at least in both BOS and NYC).

I will be on that transatlantic with you... here are a few airfare suggestions:

$645.36 Iberia via Madrid to Miami (on expedia or orbitz)

7:25 am Depart London (LHR)

Arrive Miami (MIA) 3:35 pm Sun 7-May

Duration: 13hr 10mn Iberia 3161 / 6123

Connect in Madrid (MAD)

Aer Lingus on May 7th (at Aer Lingus.com or

$410.75 with taxes to JFK one way.

plus connect on Jetblue at 7pm to Ft Lauderdale (webfare on Jetblue $84.00)

$789. on Virgin via Virgin Atlantic.com non stop to Miami returning on the 30th of November as you are planning too :)

You could try MaxJet. Business class flights from NY to London. They are having a special right now. Must book by March 27, but the ticket is good until Dec. 31. Flights on Tues/Wed only. http://www.maxjet.com/max_rules.php
I think that booking MaxJet should come with a financial health warning. Latest news posted here in the thread in which we already have an ongoing discussion about MaxJet.

I think that booking MaxJet should come with a financial health warning. Latest news posted here in the thread in which we already have an ongoing discussion about MaxJet.

You did have to post that didn't you!!! I booked 4 tickets when they released the special. I know the loads have been very light, but you can ask 5 TA's and 3 have never heard of MaxJet. Maybe the loads will improve with some PR. I love the concept and saw the plane last week at JFK. I haven't been keeping up with the other thread.

If the OP needs air from Europe to USA for a transatlantic, he may still be in luck. Most of the transatlantics are in Europe by May 15. OP mentioned throw away ticket for $750. I sure would rather fly business than coach for the same money, if your going to throw away anyhow. LOL!!!

I agree with the proposition, but I wish I could have the confidence that MaxJet will be around for another 2 months. I may be naturally cautious and/or cynical, but OzJet seemed to be dug in for the fight despite equally poor loads, with talk of expansion into the WA market with flights to Perth. And then they shut up shop overnight, as failed airlines usually do. Although MaxJet and EOS may have the "benefit" of a sojourn in Chapter 11 first, they could also go the same route.

I'm posting a bit of crude analysis to the other thread, BTW: MaxJet's January load factor could not have been higher than 50% and could easily have been as low as the mid-to-high 30's.

Many thanks to all who have responded with their advice. I truly appreciate everyone's effort and their two cents.

So far, it looks like my only option is to go with BA and buy a round trip at $750 and discard the return. BA has a flight leaving early afternoon which provides me with the opportunity to fly home the same day as the cruise is over. Aer Lingus, MaxJet, and all other airlines recommended require that I stay overnight and fly out the following day. By the time that I add the cost of one night's hotel stay plus another one-way ticket to get me to my hometown, the savings are pretty much depleted, if not non-existent. But like I said, I truly appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Hey WINGSRCL! Counting the days!!!

Regards To All

I'm not a fan either, however, when you are looking for the lowest fare you have to make some sacrifices on your otherwise excellent taste! haha. The only advantage would be to see the fantastic new Madrid terminal which has won many architectural awards.

Hi Wingsrcl:

Have you been through Barajas International Airport (Madrid) lately? I have been through twice in the last couple of years. It is a humongous airport. No problem with that as so many of today's airports are very large indeed. However, there is a very LONG walk between where most of the flights come in and where the flight for Miami departs from. On both occasions, I have walked for about 30 minutes to get from one plane to the Miami bound plane. That is not to mention that you must pass through security and passport control again even if you are there to change planes.

The last time that I flew Iberia, I promised myself that it would be the last time. I met several people on last November's transatlantic crossing of the Brilliance of the Seas to flew Iberia to Barcelona who aboslutely hated the experience. From the uncomfortable seats to the lack of personality and professionalism of the flight attendants. I flew BA through London instead and was so glad that I did.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a similar concern for our trip. I entered numerous dates for the return trip back to Europe, and found one that was about $100 less than other dates. We ended up with less than $600 RT on BA. Ours came out to something like leave Europe (Munich) in late May and return to Munich in late October.

Although we are still not sure, we may end up using the return ticket back from US to Europe in late October to take another transatlantic back to US. At least we have that option and we may just do it if the price is right.

Archived