When are Guarantee Room assignments made?

karatemom2

We generally always book specific rooms, but for our upcoming New Year's Eve cruise we just booked a guarantee for our daughter and son-in-law's reservation. Our cruise departs December 30 and still no room assignment showing up on their cruise personalizer. I'm not very familiar with guarantee rooms, so hoping someone here can shed some light on when we might expect their room number to show up on their reservation.

1 hour ago, karatemom2 said:

We generally always book specific rooms, but for our upcoming New Year's Eve cruise we just booked a guarantee for our daughter and son-in-law's reservation. Our cruise departs December 30 and still no room assignment showing up on their cruise personalizer. I'm not very familiar with guarantee rooms, so hoping someone here can shed some light on when we might expect their room number to show up on their reservation.

We’ve only done it a couple

of times and got the assignment about 1-2 weeks before sailing.  It really depends on how full it is and how long the cruise is.  One of ours was a long cruise of 3 segments and we booked it as 1 cruise, and that one took a little longer.

Now, it could take up to the day of sailing. Some have reported getting it a month before.  Really varies.

You have to keep checking to see if it has been assigned on the cruise personalizer or the App.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

It really and truly can be any time between booking and embarkation day. And I've experienced them all. Assigned immediately after booking. Assigned a few weeks later. Assigned a few weeks before sailing. Assigned a few days before sailing. Got room assignment on embarkation day..

All of it. At any time.  

It's relatively rare for it to go to embarkation day, but it does happen.  Mostly, at least a few days before sailing to a couple weeks or so.  

It varies. And takes patience .

If it's not assigned till embarkation day, there will be a desk with room assignments, and blank luggage tags.. check there, get your assignment and blank tag, and off you go.

• Thanks 1

Princess will assign you a room when it's convenient for them.  TBH, the night before embarkation is the latest I've ever been assigned a cabin.  I make it a habit to re-check my Travel Summary the night before a cruise to make sure that I didn't receive a upgrade (one can hope).  Since I arrive at least a night before embarkation, I always bring a laptop so I can do this and print my luggage tags (either by accessing the hotel's business center or forwarding PDFs of the luggage tag to the hotel's front desk).  Don't recommend having the porters checking for you cabin assignment as this can hold you up (you'd be surprised on how many passengers don't print their luggage tags) and they aren't always provided a passenger manifest.

Does Princess send an email when a room is assigned or do we just keep checking? Did a guarantee once before but was years ago so I don't remember. This time, have a guaranteed deluxe balcony because that's all that was left when we added on that sailing.

1 hour ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Does Princess send an email when a room is assigned or do we just keep checking? Did a guarantee once before but was years ago so I don't remember. This time, have a guaranteed deluxe balcony because that's all that was left when we added on that sailing.

Keep checking. I've never received an email with my updated room assignment.

1 hour ago, WisCruiser2 said:

The porters don't have the manifest, in my experiences at both Southampton and Port Everglades. 

It's a separate table/area the porters direct you to it with a couple port agents who have the manifest and blank tags. They check your name, give cabin assignment and blank tags. You fill the tags there, attach and hand over to the porters.  Easy peasy. 

It is rare that it goes to embarkation day. Only 3 times in 20+ years for me . 

• Thanks 1