Finder’s Chase National Park

glee87

Last year we were in the same predicament, sold out tours on Kangaroo Island.  We were a group of four. We rented a car from Seafront Connect, a short walk from the tender port.  Our original plan was to rent the car and drive out to Flinder's Chase.  Our arrival was delayed for five hours due to high winds and rough seas.  After we tendered in,  we had only about five  hours on shore.  We rented the car and drove out to Seal Bay.  You will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road, but there is not much traffic.   

4 hours ago, WisRiver said:

Last year we were in the same predicament, sold out tours on Kangaroo Island.  We were a group of four. We rented a car from Seafront Connect, a short walk from the tender port.  Our original plan was to rent the car and drive out to Flinder's Chase.  Our arrival was delayed for five hours due to high winds and rough seas.  After we tendered in,  we had only about five  hours on shore.  We rented the car and drove out to Seal Bay.  You will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road, but there is not much traffic.   

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you remember how much it was to rent a car? Do we need international license and is it difficult to drive there? Sorry for all the questions!

Drivers from the United States do not need an international drivers license.  I think the cost was about $100 US including refilling the gas tank.  The roads are well maintained, little traffic and easy to drive on, except for being in a right hand drive car.  We paid extra for an automatic transmission.  

The cruise ship tour we took from Princess was very disappointing, totally rushed, only 10 minutes at the Admiral’s Arch and another 10 minutes at the remarkable rocks.  We complained and had our money refunded.  Would much rather have had a decent tour as we will not likely be going back there!

18 hours ago, WisRiver said:

Drivers from the United States do not need an international drivers license.  I think the cost was about $100 US including refilling the gas tank.  The roads are well maintained, little traffic and easy to drive on, except for being in a right hand drive car.  We paid extra for an automatic transmission.  

Thank you! I’ll look into renting a car

8 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

The cruise ship tour we took from Princess was very disappointing, totally rushed, only 10 minutes at the Admiral’s Arch and another 10 minutes at the remarkable rocks.  We complained and had our money refunded.  Would much rather have had a decent tour as we will not likely be going back there!

That is disappointing. I hope we have enough time there. I actually just want to see the wildlife. Especially seeing the koalas and kangaroos in the wild.

7 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

@glee87 we only saw a couple of kangaroos from a distance, but saw lots of dead kangaroos and one dead koala on the roadside, no live koalas, a very disappointing day.  I do hope you have a better time and our experience was not typical.

That’s so sad! Thank you for letting me know what to expect. 

18 hours ago, glee87 said:

That is disappointing. I hope we have enough time there. I actually just want to see the wildlife. Especially seeing the koalas and kangaroos in the wild.

Unless you go to an animal wildlife shelter or zoo, you are unlikely to see koalas while driving as they are nocturnal and will be asleep far up in a gum tree.

38 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Unless you go to an animal wildlife shelter or zoo, you are unlikely to see koalas while driving as they are nocturnal and will be asleep far up in a gum tree.

I understand. Thank you! 

Kangaroo Island is the third largest island in Australia, so distances are boring and long.  We used to stay near the ferry and at Flinders Chase on opposite of the island.  A lot of Flinders Chase lighthouse keepers cottages got burnt out.  There used to be a lot of koalas which you could see from the FC carpark.  You can rent a car and drive along the oceanfront to the lighthouse with spectacular views.  Great cafe.  Dudley Wines was picturesque.  You can visit the Cape Willoughby Lighthouse and learn of its history.  

this is an enjoyable car ride, without racing across the island.  If you have a long day visit, we saw a lot of wildlife around dusk at American River.  

parks.sa.gov.au skould be able to tell you what has been repaired and what is open. We left our names but we haven't heard anything.  We used to love staying in the historic lighthouse keepers cottage.  Staying in the small postman's cottage you used to hear the koalas at night and the Canadian geese (?)