Celebrity Infinity November 28th Spain Canary Islands Liv

mariners

We are currently onboard the Celebrity Infinity sailing with family and friends.  Boarding the ship in Barcelona was a great experience and took less than 20 minutes.  We had done everything online and only had to answer a couple of questions and show our Express Pass. 

The ship  is in much better condition than I expected.  Yes, there are some areas that need some work, such as replacing grout, but everything is clean and maintenance is constantly taking place. 

After our cruises on Celebrity in January and February, I had warned the group not to expect much in the way of food as everything was so limited at that time. I am very pleased to say that has not been our experience on this cruise so far. The Oceanview Cafe has a wide assortment of food and the quality has vastly improved.  Lunch yesterday included large appetizer shrimp, Mexican station, different types of chicken and turkey, pasta, pizza, salads, fish, and lots of other options.

Dinner has been excellent with the exception of soups that are not hot.  We have not complained as it is not as a result of our wait staff and we have no desire to prolong our dinner which would be necessary for them to replace the soup. The Prime Rib was excellent and cooked exactly as requested.  The vegetables have been plentiful and the majority have been delicious. (I prefer my vegetables not to be overcooked so other people might find some of them a little undercooked as there is still a bit of crunch to the carrots, etc).  Our wait staff and sommelier are a fantastic team, and it is a pleasure to be in the main dining room for dinner. By the second night, they had already figured out our preferences. Amazing!

Every single crew member and staff has greeted us with a smile.  If only all of the passengers could do the same in response.  There are some of the grouchiest passengers I’ve seen onboard a ship.  They are very vocal and want to ensure everyone knows how unhappy they are about their experiences. Hopefully, they are miserable enough that they will leave the ship when we arrive at our first port. 😀

I’m only intermittently on the internet, but I will try to check in every couple of days to answer any questions if there are any. Hopefully, I’m reassuring those people who are concerned about the onboard experience on the Infinity. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

villauk, the only consistent information I have received is that there will be some enhancements in January. From what I have been told, it’s going to be more of a freshening up, rather than the full makeover that was done on the Millennium. IMO, the things that they need to focus on are the bathrooms (replace all grout, redo the public bathroom walls, etc.), the verandas (which often seem to need scraping and repainting on ships), the carpet, and the furniture in the cabins.  The bolted tables in some of the public spaces are also an issue as it’s impossible for staff to easily serve passengers. Some of the tables need to move a few feet over.  This would not impact the number of passengers who could be served, it would just make it more pleasant for everyone. 

I can’t read a lot of posts as I get booted off the internet despite the upgrade I purchased.  However, we must have the updated dining menus, and there are lots of options onboard.  I continue to be surprised by the quality of the food, and soups were served at the correct temperature last night. Kudos to the chefs, kitchen staff, and the wait staff. 

The one area that I have noticed a deterioration is in the brands of alcohol carried onboard.  Prices are also a lot higher for upgraded drinks. Given the increased prices and difficulty we have obtaining different alcohol where I live, I am not surprised. That being said, I think Celebrity should update their website so people know what is available (and also place lists in cabins for each sailing). 

This is the first cruise where I have noticed quite a few  people have bought alcohol packages and have been “sharing” their package. IMO, I don’t understand why people don’t  look at that in the same light as theft and think that it’s okay to do. I have seen some people caught, but I don’t know the consequences they are given.  Perhaps, someone else knows what happens in those circumstances.  

We have our first port tomorrow and will spend the next three days on different Canary Islands. I’ll post an update at some point. It’s been a great sailing so far. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the very detailed reply @mariners. Hoping they at least update those areas you think need it most 🤞🏻. It’s been a good few years since we were on Infinity last, but we had a super cruise then and hoping our next will be just as good. Enjoy the rest of yours.

We got off Infinity on 28th and were also pleasantly surprised. Yes, she is dated but it was still a great cruise. Food and service was excellent, plus a great itinerary and weather. I like the M class layout, it feels spacious with nice bars and lounges. 

We were disappointed with the live music but that's not the ship's fault! The music was dreary on the whole and too 'international' for my British taste. There's only so many merengues I need to hear. 

Anyway, we were told the dry dock had been cut short and is now only a routine maintenance stop. New cruises have been added to the gap - anyone for Greece in Jan / Feb?! 

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Chewbecca said:

We got off Infinity on 28th and were also pleasantly surprised. Yes, she is dated but it was still a great cruise. Food and service was excellent, plus a great itinerary and weather. I like the M class layout, it feels spacious with nice bars and lounges. 

Anyway, we were told the dry dock had been cut short and is now only a routine maintenance stop. New cruises have been added to the gap - anyone for Greece in Jan / Feb?! 

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Looks like nothing internally will be done then 😔.

@@Chewbecca glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise despite a lack of variety in the live music. 

We jumped on a offer on a "Best of Greece" itinerary for April. An absolute bargain so couldn't say no. 😁

This will be our first time on an M class ship so keen to see how we like it but I'm disappointed to read Celebrity appear to have scaled back the refurbishment plans for the next dry dock.  

Edited by TraderSam

1 hour ago, TraderSam said:

@@Chewbecca glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise despite a lack of variety in the live music. 

We jumped on a offer on a "Best of Greece" itinerary for April. An absolute bargain so couldn't say no. 😁

This will be our first time on an M class ship so keen to see how we like it but I'm disappointed to read Celebrity appear to have scaled back the refurbishment plans for the next dry dock.  

As I posted on another thread, I think there will be lots of Brits on those revised itinerary cruises as the prices over here were too good to miss. I know we weren’t really planning another cruise before Japan next year, but decided to book Infinity when we saw the promotions. The last time we were on her was 2014, so we’re not expecting her to be in the same shape as back then, ten years on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, villauk said:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Looks like nothing internally will be done then 😔.

I contacted Celebrity directly as I have a cruise booked on in Infinity next September. There were rumours that it was going to be a full upgrade like Summit and Millie. They told me it was routine maintenance and the family rooms (big ones at the back) are being changed into suites. Nothing else.

I have some reservations about my booking. Not cheap and whilst I don’t mind dated I don’t want shabby either in my suite or in the lounge areas…Reviews have been following have been varied. Few complaints about staff, most saying service has been very good. However, many saying their rooms/bathrooms need updating.

I think I may have a look at itinerary’s between now and then and see if I can find a bargain and do a swap!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

Just tried a few dates and the prices for higher suites are significantly more than I have booked. I think bargains may be room sensitive! 

I know the suites for our sailing started at approximately £2500pp, which would be for the Sky Suites; you generally stay in the higher suites and I didn’t look at those. The OV were £499pp as I did tell my DS in case he wished to book with his GF. We decided to go for Aqua at the very top of the ship for a complete change.

Our favourite cabins on M class are those FV cabins that you stated are now becoming suites. It’s a pity they aren’t updating all the other cabins 😔. We’re sailing on Millie next summer too in an SV, so it will be interesting to see the difference between the two ships, especially as we’ve sailed on them both previously. 

• Like 1

The alcohol lists continue to be changed depending upon what is onboard.  As well, the prices listed in the dining room daily menu are frequently incorrect.  This is a problem because people believe a drink is covered under the Classic package, and it no longer is as the price has been increased. People seated side by side can have different prices on the menus. Celebrity needs to update these errors ASAP.  As well, some items from the Classic package have been moved to the Premium package.  It would be beneficial if updated information was provided ahead of time so that passengers could be better informed.  

Yesterday, we had a great day on Tenerife, although it did rain and was foggy on and off.  Christmas celebrations and decorations have begun, both onboard the ship and ashore.  We had the pleasure of watching a street performance of Carnivale dancers and drummers in costume.  They travelled up and down the streets in the central district.  For anyone who likes markets of fruits, meats, spices, crafts, etc., the African (Lady of Africa) market is wonderful.  

Last night, many crew appeared stressed and public areas had a different vibe than we had previously experienced.  Lots went on yesterday, including the crew drill which might have caused some issues if it didn’t go well, and I just read about an earthquake in the Philippines but am not sure of that timeline to know if it had an impact (understandable and sympathy goes to all affected by what must be a terribly stressful situation), but something was not right.  Some supervisors also berated crew in front of passengers.  IMO, that should never take place.  

There are quite a few ill passengers onboard.  For passengers boarding the next cruise, I recommend bringing anything you typically take for colds and flu with you. People do not appear to be self quarantining.  

We have already arrived in port, and the weather forecast is good.  Some of our group are going to the beach so that should work well for them. As it’s Sunday, I hope my DH and I get to see local families enjoying their afternoon.  Our plan is to wander about and explore the streets. 

My apologies if I have missed any questions. Please feel free to ask again and I’ll try and find information. 

• Like 4

On 12/1/2023 at 7:07 PM, villauk said:

As I posted on another thread, I think there will be lots of Brits on those revised itinerary cruises as the prices over here were too good to miss. I know we weren’t really planning another cruise before Japan next year, but decided to book Infinity when we saw the promotions. The last time we were on her was 2014, so we’re not expecting her to be in the same shape as back then, ten years on.

I just spotted the UK prices late yesterday.

Going to do full pricing today.

Did these qualify for the 2024 airfare offer?

Looks like we missed the OBC offer was that working?

Any extra CC discounts?

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

I just spotted the UK prices late yesterday.

Going to do full pricing today.

Did these qualify for the 2024 airfare offer?

Looks like we missed the OBC offer was that working?

Any extra CC discounts?

Yes, some of them did qualify the discounted flight offer - ours did 👍. We got the OBC credit too and our usual discount from our TA. Hence us booking another cruise when we previously didn’t have another one on the cards prior to our Japan sailing.

• Thanks 1