Holiday Decorations

blueslily

Hello December Cruisers,

Our sailing on the Seascape is coming up soon. I will be introducing some first timers to cruising and some to MSC. I would love to see photos of holiday decorations on the ships. Decorations at the ports would be fun also. We are going on a Caribbean sailing out of Miami on Seascape. We are sailing early to miss some of the main holiday crowds.

I hope that this will be a fun and festive thread. I'm most interested in photos of the Seascape, but all ships are welcome so this thread can be helpful for all cruisers that enjoy looking at decorations on ships. 

Happy cruising this holiday season! 

Edited by blueslily

It’s not too soon. The Christmas decorations were put up the day after Thanksgiving on the Meraviglia this year.  I only took one photo though as I thought the decorations were nice but not otherwise noteworthy. However couldn’t resist snapping this photo of a baker working on this large chocolate nutcracker soldier. 

IMG_2215.jpeg

Edited by RalphWiggum

7 hours ago, RalphWiggum said:

It’s not too soon. The Christmas decorations were put up the day after Thanksgiving on the Meraviglia this year.  I only took one photo though as I thought the decorations were nice but not otherwise noteworthy. However couldn’t resist snapping this photo of a baker working on this large chocolate nutcracker soldier. 

IMG_2215.jpeg

Wow! That's simply amazing. Thanks for posting that picture. 

6 hours ago, mmbcater said:

Last year on Seascape

IMG_6023.jpeg

IMG_6089.jpeg

Thank you! I hope the decorations are up now or will be soon. Sailing on the 9th. Woohoo, just one more week to go! 

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 2

In Italy, l'Epifania (the Epiphany) on 6 January is traditionally the end of the Christmas holidays. I would hope that MSC honors that custom, though it's possible that they will defer to the region in which they are sailing. When we've been on land-based Italian trips during the end of year holidays, we've always seen festivities continue through l'Epifania.

8 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

In Italy, l'Epifania (the Epiphany) on 6 January is traditionally the end of the Christmas holidays. I would hope that MSC honors that custom, though it's possible that they will defer to the region in which they are sailing. When we've been on land-based Italian trips during the end of year holidays, we've always seen festivities continue through l'Epifania.

We embarked the Meraviglia on January 5, 2020 for a 7 day western Caribbean and there wasn't a Christmas decoration in sight. 

2 hours ago, blueslily said:

Woohoo! Thanks so much.

How's your cruise coming along? 

YW! Right now, this is one of our top 2 vacations ever and we are in day 3 of 14. We are sailing YC and have loved the shows, food, workers are great. Zero complaints so far. Met good people.

5 minutes ago, Jorhammer said:

YW! Right now, this is one of our top 2 vacations ever and we are in day 3 of 14. We are sailing YC and have loved the shows, food, workers are great. Zero complaints so far. Met good people.

Wow, that's amazing. So, you are doing a back to back on Seascape? We will join Saturday. Wow! Enjoy

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

We embarked the Meraviglia on January 5, 2020 for a 7 day western Caribbean and there wasn't a Christmas decoration in sight.

Wow! That would have been disappointing for us. I wonder if MSC is indeed trying to incorporate differences based on the sailing location.

I've come to understand that Epiphany, also known as Little Christmas or Three Kings Day, celebrates the bringing of gifts by the Three Wise Men in the Christian religion.

When in the countryside in Italy for l'Epifania, locals will often have a feast and burn things to help determine if the new growing year will have a good harvest. It's basically a fun party for all and last well into the night. (Read more here: https://www.sandanielemagazine.com/en/events/the-tradition-of-epiphany-in-italy/)