Are all of the R-class Ships like this?

JanR

On Regatta now. Been some complaints about the AC in cabins but ours have been OK. AC  in public areas erratic. Always cold in GDR, hot in Horrizons and Cafe. Been on 11 a few times no issues with turf will check again tmrw.The two units are walk ins for storage and apper tohave nothing to do with HVAC. Door on one end and only connectios appear to be power.

WIFI is beyond bad even for Oceania. The reason is simple, O won't pay for a better package. Been on similar  itineraries on two other lines post covid and always had usable internet with out Starlink. 

Biggest disappointment has been the service.Wait staff is running around and smiles are gone by end of meal. Managers constantlly chasiing down late meals.

Semi official estimate on current segment is they are down about 20% staff from pre covid. Today 4 servers and 3 mangers in Waves at 1PM.

5 of our excursion were canceled or grossly changed. We were notifed at start of segments, to late to make alternate plans.

In three ports there were dive and or welding team's working from arrival to departure. Looked a bit more serious than hull cleaning for Australia.

Even the loyalists are complaining. 

CD insists on making non important announcement after 6:30pm when everyone is eating.  Volume in GDR is almost painful  and waiters have to stop taking orders until he finishes telling us what we already know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

On Regatta now. Been some complaints about the AC in cabins but ours have been OK. AC  in public areas erratic. Always cold in GDR, hot in Horrizons and Cafe. Been on 11 a few times no issues with turf will check again tmrw.The two units are walk ins for storage and apper tohave nothing to do with HVAC. Door on one end and only connectios appear to be power.

WIFI is beyond bad even for Oceania. The reason is simple, O won't pay for a better package. Been on similar  itineraries on two other lines post covid and always had usable internet with out Starlink. 

Biggest disappointment has been the service.Wait staff is running around and smiles are gone by end of meal. Managers constantlly chasiing down late meals.

Semi official estimate on current segment is they are down about 20% staff from pre covid. Today 4 servers and 3 mangers in Waves at 1PM.

5 of our excursion were canceled or grossly changed. We were notifed at start of segments, to late to make alternate plans.

In three ports there were dive and or welding team's working from arrival to departure. Looked a bit more serious than hull cleaning for Australia.

CD insists on making non important announcement after 6:30pm when everyone is eating.  Volume in GDR is almost painful  and waiters have to stop taking orders until he finishes telling us what we already know.

Oh dear! Not sounding great but try and look at it as a ‘glass half full’ and enjoy the good bits.

We’ve always enjoyed the ‘R’ class ships but sailed on the Riviera last autumn and realise we now prefer the larger ships with 4 speciality restaurants.

If we want a ship with fewer passengers than the Riviera etc. we now choose Seabourn or Silversea. In saying that we still love Oceania but on some itineraries the smaller ships can get into smaller ports like Seville instead of Cadiz.

I guess no cruise line is perfect so you just have to go with the ‘best fit’ for you.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2023 at 8:50 PM, pinotlover said:

... Ever notice how often the R ships need the big SALES to fill?....

Though I'm just thankful we sailed on 3 cruises on Riviera that each was tied to a massive sale. We just came back from the Med from a 20-night B2B with the B3 at $1749 PP and the A3 at $1899 PP.

I think O has had at least 6 major sales so far in 2023, maybe 8. I stopped counting. Just glad they had the Extraordinary Savings Sale earlier in 2023 where prices hit rock bottom! 

11 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though I'm just thankful we sailed on 3 cruises on Riviera that each was tied to a massive sale. We just came back from the Med from a 20-night B2B with the B3 at $1749 PP and the A3 at $1899 PP.

I think O has had at least 6 major sales so far in 2023, maybe 8. I stopped counting. Just glad they had the Extraordinary Savings Sale earlier in 2023 where prices hit rock bottom! 

Wish we could get those prices in the UK!!!

At those prices no wonder there are so many US passengers!

1 hour ago, azdrydock said:

When you’ve got legitimate complaints about the CD, provide complete details (including their names) in the mid-cruise and end-cruise surveys.

Also helpful to identify them here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Even cruise only without flights???

Yes. UK passengers affected by the recent Holyland conflict/war received cash refunds without having to raise a fuss. It’s one of the protections that all UK passengers pay for.
No judgement good or bad. It is what it is, and UK pax pay for that. Not saying it’s bad…..

25 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Yes. UK passengers affected by the recent Holyland conflict/war received cash refunds without having to raise a fuss. It’s one of the protections that all UK passengers pay for.
No judgement good or bad. It is what it is, and UK pax pay for that. Not saying it’s bad…..

I'll say the "quiet part" for ya:    ...just more expensive.     😉

25 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

I'll say the "quiet part" for ya:    ...just more expensive.     😉

Thank you for your post. The expensive part was implied in my comment that UK passengers pay for that.

Edited by PhD-iva
Typo

4 hours ago, azdrydock said:

Thank you for your review.  My husband and I are on this cruise for next year.  I have read similar reviews to yours and am getting concerned about this cruise ship and line.  I appreciate you taking the time to write a review.  Please update as your trip goes along if you have time!

Judy