Covid test needed?

Hello Cruisers, 
I am wondering for those of you who recently sailed in Australia, did you need to have a negative 
covid test prior to you boarding the ship? We sail on Jan 4 on the Grand Princess, and I am 
just wanting to figure out if we need to test in Adelaide before we sail.  Thank you! 

Linda 

1 hour ago, LindaMc said:

Hello Cruisers, 
I am wondering for those of you who recently sailed in Australia, did you need to have a negative 
covid test prior to you boarding the ship? We sail on Jan 4 on the Grand Princess, and I am 
just wanting to figure out if we need to test in Adelaide before we sail.  Thank you! 

Linda 

No

No test needed and not even the usual health questionnaire to fill in at the port.  But my husband and I got off the Coral Princess on Friday and both caught covid.  I tested positive when I arrived home and he just yesterday.  Luckily we were both well all the time we were on the ship and I first noticed symptoms as we were ready to disembark.  I believe I picked it up on a tender so if you have any tender trips would suggest you wear a mask. 

• Like 3

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the info.  Patch nine: I'm sorry you both got covid. We both got our booster shots recently and we are going to try to do whatever we can to not get sick since this is such a big trip for us.  We do have a few tender ports, so will take your advice on that. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LindaMc said:

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the info.  Patch nine: I'm sorry you both got covid. We both got our booster shots recently and we are going to try to do whatever we can to not get sick since this is such a big trip for us.  We do have a few tender ports, so will take your advice on that. 

Hi, I totally agree with @patch nine. We too were on same cruise and since arriving home are one by one coming down with covid.

At some tender ports comfortable, air conditioned catamarans are used as well as the tenders. If possible, check if cats are being used and where you can, hang back so you get the catamaran.  You can definitely do this on your return to the ship, but with a bit of ingenuity you might also manage it on the outgoing journey 🙂

Edited by Jean C
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Denversail said:

So just for curiosity. Got it. Thanks

For some. They are the curious ones I would prefer not to share a lift or tender with. Sharing is caring?

Others might choose to report it to the medical centre and stay out of circulation for 5 days, and not be paying $40 per day for their partner to be able to test negative and circulate.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi, I totally agree with @patch nine. We too were on same cruise and since arriving home are one by one coming down with covid.

At some tender ports comfortable, air conditioned catamarans are used as well as the tenders. If possible, check if cats are being used and where you can, hang back so you get the catamaran.  You can definitely do this on your return to the ship, but with a bit of ingenuity you might also manage it on the outgoing journey 🙂

Most tenders have passenger space in the open air on the roof. It is a target for us, as it is much more pleasant than being inside - the breeze, the view.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LindaMc said:

We also had our boosters just 3 weeks before we went and took precautions too like wearing masks on the plane beforehand and we avoided the lifts completely.  My husband didn't come on the tender and he didn't get it until a couple of days after me which is why I think that is where I picked it up.  It was raining on the way over to Airlie Beach which is why I didn't sit outside.  Other times I was able to and we usually do this.  We definitely noticed more people coughing around the ship during the last couple of days than we had at the beginning and on the last day there were more masks being worn so I suspect a lot of people caught it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, arxcards said:

For some. They are the curious ones I would prefer not to share a lift or tender with. Sharing is caring?

Others might choose to report it to the medical centre and stay out of circulation for 5 days, and not be paying $40 per day for their partner to be able to test negative and circulate.

What is the purpose of reporting it? Is it for insurance?

1 minute ago, Denversail said:

Sure, it would help with insurance. I guess that depends on what policy and if it has coverage for isolation periods. The same insurance would likely cover medical expenses including testing, but not necessarily cover screening tests - why I think it is a good idea to pack a few test kits.

It would also give you access to full dining room menus as room service - at least on Princess

6 minutes ago, Denversail said:

Numerous reasons, as you will be isolating, you don't want your steward catching it and you want the ship to know so you can get better service to your door. Then there is possible medication if you are over 65,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Numerous reasons, as you will be isolating, you don't want your steward catching it and you want the ship to know so you can get better service to your door. Then there is possible medication if you are over 65,

Okay, I guess if I feel bad enough not to leave my room I could see the benefits. Honestly outside of that situation I don’t understand the purpose.

6 minutes ago, Denversail said:

Okay, I guess if I feel bad enough not to leave my room I could see the benefits. Honestly outside of that situation I don’t understand the purpose.

If you have covid or the flu or even have a cold, you should be isolating so you don't pass your sickness on to others, it shouldn't  matter if you feel bad enough or not.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

If you have covid or the flu or even have a cold, you should be isolating so you don't pass your sickness on to others, it shouldn't  matter if you feel bad enough or not.

Many folks that get Covid don’t get more than the sniffles. I have allergies and sniffle frequently. I won’t be testing myself to determine the source of my sniffles. I often feel exhausted, swollen, not myself on a cruise vacation. This is due to unusual activity that my body isn’t easily going to forgive. If I feel awful I will obviously isolate cause I don’t feel well. The results of a test aren’t really relevant.

I appreciate the feedback and can understand the room service, companion, and insurance issues. I wasn’t thinking of those earlier.

Edited by Denversail
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

So you know if you have picked up covid and can stay in your cabin to both look after yourself and to avoid passing it on to others.

Agree. I for one do appreciate people who are unwell whether with colds, flu or Covid staying away until they are less likely to be contagious. I try to avoid crowds and the theatre as seem to easily pick up respiratory bugs. 

• Like 7