Disembarking early

Yg13

I think people are being a little harsh on OP here. She didn’t come in here demanding any particular outcome, but simply asked a question. As for the person who disembarked, I feel nothing but empathy for her. Unless you have been extremely seasick, you cannot understand the feeling. To have it be so bad that she was willing to get off of a trip that she presumably planned and looked forward to, early, and fly home, she must have been feeling pretty awful. While the cruise line doesn’t owe her anything I do hope that the OPs friend is able to get some refunds. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ellewoods said:

I think people are being a little harsh on OP here. She didn’t come in here demanding any particular outcome, but simply asked a question. As for the person who disembarked, I feel nothing but empathy for her. Unless you have been extremely seasick, you cannot understand the feeling. To have it be so bad that she was willing to get off of a trip that she presumably planned and looked forward to, early, and fly home, she must have been feeling pretty awful. While the cruise line doesn’t owe her anything I do hope that the OPs friend is able to get some refunds. 

Lot of posters making a whole bunch of assumptions, aspersions, and asking a bunch of silly questions. I'm glad OP came back to answer, provide clarity. Thank you!! And good luck to your friend on refunds. 

20 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

I hope that her leaving didn't upset the ship's manifest because if it did, and NCL were heavily fined for having an incorrect manifest, then they will seek recompense from her for the fine.

The ship never has "an incorrect manifest".  The manifest is submitted at departure, so they will know who is onboard and who is not.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@chengkp75

What happens when someone "leaves" during a voyage?

What do you mean by "what happens"?  What happens to the manifest?  A manifest is submitted at each port for both arrival and departure.  If there is a change in the manifest due to someone leaving or arriving at that port, or even dying, a new manifest is prepared and submitted.  What happens to the person who left the ship?  That depends on how they did it.  If done with approval from the cruise line (meaning that customs and immigration were notified to clear the passenger), then nothing will happen to the person.  If they just walked off and didn't return, then the person will need to deal with customs and immigration in the country they left the ship in, when they go to leave the country and there is no record of their entering the country.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 2:42 PM, TheDawg79 said:

She broke the terms of her contract with the cruise line. She don’t get compensated for that. She might get some excursions refunded IF she gave 24 notice. 

I believe that refunds for excursions requires 2 days notice.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:50 PM, Yg13 said:

embarkation NYC

dismebark in St Thomas (we already had visited Bermuda and St. Maarten, so had called on Ports outside of the US)

the person went to guest services, informed them they intended to disembark, got sent up to the area where US Immigration was staging, had their information logged, and was given the all clear. 

Thanks for those details.  That's interesting, I had no idea it was that easy to disembark early,  

1 hour ago, Tcat999 said:

Thanks for those details.  That's interesting, I had no idea it was that easy to disembark early,  

How easy it is very much a function of the ship's itinerary, company policy and cabotage and immigration laws. In this case the early disembarkation didn't violate any cabotage or immigration laws, but on other itineraries you may be subject to stiff fine, and in some cases early disembarkation would be discouraged by company policy because the additional paperwork it would generate.

12 hours ago, Tcat999 said:

I'm sure that this was concerned a medical disembarkation as opposed to someone just choosing to get off. It's never been difficult to get off mid cruise if you are having any type of emergency. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 10:22 PM, ellewoods said:

Thank you!

in case anyone is curious for an update on this, she received a refund for $100 for the prepaid gratuities and an extra $100 courtesy adjustment for the unused spa package. She was happy with that and grateful to get anything back