Ambience taken out of service

peajay

I think you both make very good points about travel agents.

I chose to book via a travel agent not because of the discount they offered, as Ambassador said they would match it. I wanted the extra layer of security they could give against a new two ship company. I have booked direct with P&O and Fred Olsen in the past.

I also assume that those who have had their money back already booked direct.

I’ve never been sure who the TA represents but it is quite apparent in this case that they have not been looking after my best interests. I am aware that the TA has 14 bookings on the trip and I assume they are waiting for the refunds en boc. Assuming the 14 are a mix of single and couples, my TA is due around £70,000. At this level I would have expected more senior intervention. Chief executive to chief executive. The issue is that the TA is not really bothered. They are not out any money. Only the poor customer. The TA’s Head of Dispute Resolution is on holiday until 2 Jan leaving the Donnas to fend off the angry customers.

As I say elsewhere, Ambassador are sticking to their script and not budging an inch. It is not possible to get above Sara Sewell, Guest Services Manager.

So, I am angry at everyone connected with this matter. Not least that no one I spoke to was aware of the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018.

I’m angry at Ambassador Cruises for the way they have handled their end of this when they could have won a few plaudits by getting the cheque book out straight away. Also, that they can get away with lying to the TA by saying my refund would be with them by 22 Dec.

I’m angry at the TA for not getting to grips with the matter and using the leverage of 14 bookings to get everyone’s money back.

• Like 1

Ambassador are throwing money about.

"Ambassador Cruise Line unveiled a new trade incentive that will see one lucky agent a week win £1,000 over five weeks from Christmas."

Coordinated ABTA complaint if they don't comply with the rules(TAs and Ambassador).

As a trade body they are not keen on taking action without a number of people complaining.

42 minutes ago, Alastair Cruise said:

I chose to book via a travel agent not because of the discount they offered, as Ambassador said they would match it. I wanted the extra layer of security they could give against a new two ship company. I have booked direct with P&O and Fred Olsen in the past.

I also assume that those who have had their money back already booked direct.

I’ve never been sure who the TA represents but it is quite apparent in this case that they have not been looking after my best interests. I am aware that the TA has 14 bookings on the trip and I assume they are waiting for the refunds en boc. Assuming the 14 are a mix of single and couples, my TA is due around £70,000. At this level I would have expected more senior intervention. Chief executive to chief executive. The issue is that the TA is not really bothered. They are not out any money. Only the poor customer. The TA’s Head of Dispute Resolution is on holiday until 2 Jan leaving the Donnas to fend off the angry customers.

As I say elsewhere, Ambassador are sticking to their script and not budging an inch. It is not possible to get above Sara Sewell, Guest Services Manager.

So, I am angry at everyone connected with this matter. Not least that no one I spoke to was aware of the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018.

I’m angry at Ambassador Cruises for the way they have handled their end of this when they could have won a few plaudits by getting the cheque book out straight away. Also, that they can get away with lying to the TA by saying my refund would be with them by 22 Dec.

I’m angry at the TA for not getting to grips with the matter and using the leverage of 14 bookings to get everyone’s money back.

Perfectly understandable and so sorry you have this ordeal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

If your TA was paid the money for the cruise that has been cancelled then they are legally obliged to refund you; whether or not the TA has been refunded by the cruise line.

……. and if you paid some or all of the money by credit card then the credit card company is jointly liable with the supplier for the full value of the transaction under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

A reputable credit card company (e.g. Amex) will reimburse you immediately when you supply evidence of the cancellation and then seek to recover their money from the supplier in due course.

Simply threatening to raise a section 75 claim with your TA will probably trigger an immediate refund, as they will not want the extra hassle & expense having to deal with a section 75 claim.

Martin Lewis Advice

2 hours ago, Alastair Cruise said:

Ambassador uses funds escrow, now has ABTA based  insurance to meet their obligations  and are covered by package regulations.

What extra layer of security do you think a TA  provides?

The TA should be pushing for refunds but there is no money in it for them so they will be passive and focus on new bookings.

As will the cruise line they won't divert sales people  to processing refunds.

ABTA needs to get involved but they won't do anything unless there are a lot of complaints.
Even then they may side with the TA's like they did early covid.

https://www.abta.com/help-and-complaints/customer-support/register-a-complaint

look how many it took for them to deal with MSC and not responding in the required  time line.

https://www.abta.com/about-us/code-of-conduct

(scroll down to 5th Oct 2022)

Thank you for asking purple moonlight, our fare was fully refunded just before Christmas. We are still out of pocket around £130 for the extra insurance and our disappointment and stress is unquantifiable. However, we don’t hold out hopes of getting anything further back.  The main thing was regaining the fare. I did email Ambassador regarding the above but will probably hear nothing further. My sympathies lie entirely with people like Alastair who are still waiting.

Best wishes for your Brazil cruise, it seems likely this will happen now that Ambience is going to be in service again. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pasty feet said:

Thank you for asking purple moonlight, our fare was fully refunded just before Christmas. We are still out of pocket around £130 for the extra insurance and our disappointment and stress is unquantifiable. However, we don’t hold out hopes of getting anything further back.  The main thing was regaining the fare. I did email Ambassador regarding the above but will probably hear nothing further. My sympathies lie entirely with people like Alastair who are still waiting.

Glad you have received the cruise cost back. Stuff like insurance will always take longer as likely Ambassador will want evidence of the expenditure.

31 days on and still nothing for me!!

My latest email to Ambassador and the useless TA:

“WHERE IS MY £x,xxx REFUND? 
NO MORE PREVARICATION.  
NO MORE EXCUSES
NO MORE “ESCALATIONS””
GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK”
has gone in acknowledged. 
I’ve gone away for a few days but will seek the refund from CC co on my return. Then the additional costs and proper compensation. Also formal legal complaint about breech of the 14 days rule against both companies. 
  • Like 2

As a note to anyone either having already been refunded or awaiting refund of their fare,  I’ve heard from Ambassador today that they are reimbursing our insurance payment. I replied that our loss is greater than that and we expect to receive a goodwill gesture if they expect to see us as returning future customers. 
Seasoned cruisers may observe that this will do no good, but my view is if you don’t ask, you won’t get. I sincerely hope that other disappointed people will do the same. 
Old customers can become new customers if treated properly. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. I’m STILL waiting for the refund of my fare. Neither Amb or useless TA have replied to my email of 2 weeks ago. In the meantime I got a last minute booking on P&so Iona to Barcelona and back. Beautiful ship and had a great fun. 
Time to call in the Fraud Squad on Ambassador and TA I think. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alastair Cruise said:

Thanks for the info. I’m STILL waiting for the refund of my fare. Neither Amb or useless TA have replied to my email of 2 weeks ago. In the meantime I got a last minute booking on P&so Iona to Barcelona and back. Beautiful ship and had a great fun. 
Time to call in the Fraud Squad on Ambassador and TA I think. 

I'm sorry to hear they are still dragging their feet, but pleased to hear you enjoyed your trip to Barcelona. I hope you have some good news soon. 

I received a message today requesting my payment details for reimburse of our "out of pocket expenses" - they expect to refund this by the end of January. To think we should still be at sea!

I still feel heartbroken over losing our holiday in such a despicable way, very difficult to come to terms with. I made it clear to Ambassador that the refund and offer towards our out of pocket expenses did not make things right for us. They ruined our festive plans. I highly doubt we shall use them again and that’s such a shame.
So very sorry to hear the news Alastair. I suspect it’s the TA holding things up. Very pleased you took a cruise, at least you’ve had a break. Yes, we’d all have been due back this week, if only eh. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Cruise Critic readers vote Ambience 2nd favourite UK ship!"

Marvellous. Meanwhile, little old me is still waiting for the return of my 'out of pocket' expenses. Not to mention any tangible compensation consideration for my cancelled 38-day cruise. Just imagine, it might have been the number 1 favourite if it hadn't been put out of service for 50 days to get the essentials fixed. Just imagine!

Disgraceful. We haven’t really got over being so let down at Christmas.  Found the tv advert hard to watch.  Yes Glynn we’re still waiting too. We feel as if nobody actually cares about us.  It could and should have been so different.  

• Like 1