Question about tri-rail from FLL to MIA.

screenname2004

1 hour ago, screenname2004 said:

How easy/difficult is to take Tri-Rail with luggage from FLL to MIA on a Sunday mid-morning? Our flight doesn't leave till late Sunday afternoon so there is no need for us to rush to MIA.

It can work. It is a little clumsy because one needs to travel the five miles between the port and the Fort Lauderdale Airport station, and also use the MIA Mover between the Miami Airport station and the airport itself. But the plan is the most practicable public transportation route between the two ports. Watch the schedule because Tri-Rail operates only hourly, and it could be a bit boring if one has to wait excessively for the train. The current schedule is attached to this message.

Tri-Rail.pdf

Edited by GTJ

You will need to take an Uber or taxi from the ship in PE to the TriRail station.  No need to stop at the airport.

As for clumsy, maybe so, we have traveled enough that our baggage is pretty minimal.  We took the TriRail to MIA and then flew to Buenos Aires to board a HAL ship to sail around South America.  For us it was not all that difficult.  Others may vary.

IMO, a great way to beat the traffic!

Edited by thinfool
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Problem with the TriRail, is it shares spaces with the public buses. There are many transients at the TriRail/bus stations requiring a police presence. Look at using Brightline instead.   

I am someone who regularly uses public buses. Your remark is a bit demeaning to people like me, someone who relies upon public transit. For one thing, I am not affluent enough to afford a car. I will also note that Brightline and cruise lines constitute public transportation and, by definition, transport people in transit. Cruise lines also are required to have police or security presence, mostly visible at ports and when boarding and alighting vessels. The remark comes across to me as being insensitive to others not like yourself, and I doubt that you really meant to communicate that you view yourself as superior to people like me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

I am someone who regularly uses public buses. Your remark is a bit demeaning to people like me, someone who relies upon public transit. For one thing, I am not affluent enough to afford a car. I will also note that Brightline and cruise lines constitute public transportation and, by definition, transport people in transit. Cruise lines also are required to have police or security presence, mostly visible at ports and when boarding and alighting vessels. The remark comes across to me as being insensitive to others not like yourself, and I doubt that you really meant to communicate that you view yourself as superior to people like me.

My statement was specific to the Fort Lauderdale TriRail stations and BCT transit stations which I used to use.  Both the Dania and Las Olas transfer stations have seen increased presence of NON bus customers loitering and pestering female bus users for smokes, spare change and sexual favors.  So much so, bus drivers not only encouraged us to board immediately even when they needed to wait but kept the doors closed at all times.  How your feelings were hurt from a factual statement on safety is on you.  

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Both the Dania and Las Olas transfer stations have seen increased presence of NON bus customers loitering and pestering female bus users for smokes, spare change and sexual favors.

Because it was specifically stated that the Tri-Rail "shares spaces with the public buses," I read the remark as establishing a correlation between, on the one hand, those public buses and, on the other hand, transients "requiring a police presence." I think that you're now saying that you were attempting to group together both Tri-Rail train passengers and Broward County Transit bus passengers in the same category of "good" people, and distinguishing that group of public transportation passengers from other people who solicit railroad and bus passengers but do not intend, themselves, to travel on public transportation. I think you can understand how the remark might have been confusing as to some of us. I still do not understand the use of the word "transient," a person stays in a place for only a short time and then moves somewhere else (as would be a cruise vessel passenger), and its relevance to the necessity of a police presence. Again, confusing without more explanation.

Perhaps the intended thought would be more accurately stated: "There is a problem with using the Tri-Rail trains and the buses serving its stations. At Tri-Rail stations there persons who solicit passersby for cigarettes, spare change, and sexual favors. As a consequence, police officers are present at Tri-Rail stations. Look at using Brightline instead, because there is neither solicitation activity nor a police presence at Brightline stations."

As to the substance of the advice, I don't think suggesting use of Brightline is helpful. The original poster here is destined for the Miami airport. Tri-Rail goes to the Miami airport--or at least to the Miami Intermodal Center from which the MIA Mover people mover connects to the airport--whereas Brightline does not go to the Miami airport. Instead, one would need to connect from Brightline at MiamiCentral station to the Metrorail orange line at Government Center station and travel to the same Miami Intermodal Center station that is served by Tri-Rail. Additionally, the Brightline station in Fort Lauderdale is further from Port Everglades than the Tri-Rail station. In sum, using Brightline would be less convenient, requires an additional travel leg (and yet another travel leg on weekends when the Metrorail orange line operates only as a shuttle), consumes longer travel time, and cost more, than Tri-Rail. For these reasons, use of Brightline is not a useful alternative, even if its stations are better compared to Tri-Rail stations. Tri-Rail is the best alternative for public transportation use.

3 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Sundays have fewer trains than during the week.

Yes, and the same schedule is operated on Saturdays. In broad terms, trains operate hourly seven days a week, except that on weekdays there is half-hourly service during rush hours.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 1:41 AM, GTJ said:

Because it was specifically stated that the Tri-Rail "shares spaces with the public buses," I read the remark as establishing a correlation between, on the one hand, those public buses and, on the other hand, transients "requiring a police presence." I think that you're now saying that you were attempting to group together both Tri-Rail train passengers and Broward County Transit bus passengers in the same category of "good" people, and distinguishing that group of public transportation passengers from other people who solicit railroad and bus passengers but do not intend, themselves, to travel on public transportation. I think you can understand how the remark might have been confusing as to some of us. I still do not understand the use of the word "transient," a person stays in a place for only a short time and then moves somewhere else (as would be a cruise vessel passenger), and its relevance to the necessity of a police presence. Again, confusing without more explanation.

Perhaps the intended thought would be more accurately stated: "There is a problem with using the Tri-Rail trains and the buses serving its stations. At Tri-Rail stations there persons who solicit passersby for cigarettes, spare change, and sexual favors. As a consequence, police officers are present at Tri-Rail stations. Look at using Brightline instead, because there is neither solicitation activity nor a police presence at Brightline stations."

As to the substance of the advice, I don't think suggesting use of Brightline is helpful. The original poster here is destined for the Miami airport. Tri-Rail goes to the Miami airport--or at least to the Miami Intermodal Center from which the MIA Mover people mover connects to the airport--whereas Brightline does not go to the Miami airport. Instead, one would need to connect from Brightline at MiamiCentral station to the Metrorail orange line at Government Center station and travel to the same Miami Intermodal Center station that is served by Tri-Rail. Additionally, the Brightline station in Fort Lauderdale is further from Port Everglades than the Tri-Rail station. In sum, using Brightline would be less convenient, requires an additional travel leg (and yet another travel leg on weekends when the Metrorail orange line operates only as a shuttle), consumes longer travel time, and cost more, than Tri-Rail. For these reasons, use of Brightline is not a useful alternative, even if its stations are better compared to Tri-Rail stations. Tri-Rail is the best alternative for public transportation use.

I wasn't attempting anything.  My experience was clearly stated.