Komodo Island

Bill B

I found my own answer - you have to be booked on an excursion to go ashore. The excursion doesn't have to be HAL-booked. Apparently, if I'm not on an excursion I might do something stupid and get eaten by a dragon. 😧

4 minutes ago, nannygoatjunction said:

Because of problems with the stairs and people taking too long to get down them, all private excursions were cancelled on the day. 

Stairs on the ship? Was it taking so long to load the tenders they couldn't get everyone ashore and only took the HAL-booked people?

It was the stairs off the wharf, I believe. Very steep and narrow.  It was taking over half an hour to unload each tender and it was not possible to get everyone onto the island and then off again. It was very hot (normal weather) and it seems many didn't cope. Considering the very, very upset passengers and tour operators, I was surprised not to read it on here. 

2 hours ago, nannygoatjunction said:

It was the stairs off the wharf, I believe. Very steep and narrow.  It was taking over half an hour to unload each tender and it was not possible to get everyone onto the island and then off again. It was very hot (normal weather) and it seems many didn't cope. Considering the very, very upset passengers and tour operators, I was surprised not to read it on here. 

It is a good walk along the wharf to reach shore, but I don't recall any stairs off the wharf on Komodo Island, as most of the hike was on fairly level ground, except the furthest part from the wharf.

They have other islands - Rinca and Padar. Although I haven't been to Padar, during my research, I recall they had steep, curving stairs leading from a short wharf.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

It is a good walk along the wharf to reach shore, but I don't recall any stairs off the wharf on Komodo Island, as most of the hike was on fairly level ground, except the furthest part from the wharf.

I don´t recall any stairs either. The wait to get back on the tenders was very long though and required standing in the sun without any shade. My recommendation would be to be prepared with an umbrella against the sun and a water bottle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Done it twice, no stairs, once off the tender you walk to an office where they show you the route, and then you go with a guide with a wooden stick to the waterhole after about 15 minutes there you follow the path in a circle to a bunch of vendors and then back. When you carry an umbrella, be careful to open it, if you scare one of the dragons you'll be running for your life:

attack-komodo-dragon-dragon-running-sand-running-komodo-dragon-varanus-komodoensis-biggest-living-lizard-71365898.jpg.0368c30e078b3935de143b4f680cbe9e.jpg