MSC Seascape Brief Review, Dec 9 - 16

blueslily

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

blueslily was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Hello All,

I am on this sailing with a friend who has only said once with me on Royal and his young adult daughter, who has never cruised. I have sailed MSC before. I read tons of posts on here and posted many questions to prepare for this cruise. So, I want to say thanks by sharing a brief review. I can't do a live and will most likely not be on my phone during most if the sailing so I won't be helpful with answering questions during the sailing but, sharing my experience so far and observations may be helpful to someone else. 

We are NOT sailing in YC which I know some people want to hear about that experience. There are so many YC reviews on here and some folks wanted to hear about the non-YC experience. 

We have 1 room in Aurea, balcony cabin 14095. I'm in that cabin with my friend as a treat to myself. I'm usually a frugal traveler and I usually cruise solo in balcony cabins. The other cabin is Fantastica which has my friend's daughter. Her cabin is also on the 14 deck, but the opposite side of the ship so we can have access to views from both sides of the ship. I am thr planner. I linked our reservations. I booked the Aureas balcony with the added drink package and Internet. Did not add that for the second cabin since she does need either. She uses the ship's WIFI to use the app to see everything that's going on and uses the text feature to stay in contact with us. I'm actually not an alcohol drinker, but I've used thr package to get mocktails and lots of bottled water. My friend does drink alcohol so my cabinmate is getting good use of their package. 

I am writing today sitting in a very quiet section at Taino Bay in Puerto Plata, DR. No one is over here. Ocean view seats overlooking the bay and the ship. Very peaceful. 

I will be writing a quick review of what I can remember so far. Hahaha. Overall, I will just say that each person's experience is just that, their experience. Choices we all make can help us have a good time or a not so good time.

So far, this cruise is a B+ for me. I don't have many complaints. I SMH wonder with all those bad reviews, were they on the same ship that I'm on right now, lol. But again, we are all different and cruise different.

Overall, food is good in buffet and MDR. We have done one specialty restaurant so far, Butcher's Cut, and we all thought it was good. The buffet experience is impacted by what time you go. And, honestly, if you know how to use a buffet. I've seen so many people who seem to not know how to maneuver a buffet. So, they will probably be on here posting negative comments about crowds and lines. I SMH when I see people standing in long lines. It's really not necessary. But, again, this is about my experience. 

We are all eating in the Aegean MDR. Yes, even the one person who has Fantastica since their booking was linked to my cabin. I'm the cruise planner and prior guest on MSC. Making this happen was very easy.

On to next section so this won't be so long. Plus, wifi might drop aagain. Sorry for the typos. I'm trying to get this posted quickly. I am checking for spelling errors, but I am doing this fairly quickly. I want to go get in the lazy river, lol. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Embarkation

We spent some time in the Orlando area prior to the cruise. Drove down to Miami early the morning of the cruise. I chose to drive the toll road for the ease of traffic. Easy peasy. When we got to Miami, the GPS took us on a detour due to traffic on 95 and 395. I wasn't a fan of local driving due to the lights but it took us right to the ship without thr tunnel. On first try, although I was fully concentrating, we missed terminal C at first. We were right there. We took the ABC lanes as directed, but when we got right to the terminal, we could not find the entrance for C, we I had driven up to far to turn left into the entrance. So, I think we circled around NCL terminal and then got back on track for C. We parked in Garage C, second level right near an elevator. I think we parked around 10:30/10:40. My goal is usually 9:45 which is the time I love for ease of parking in Miami. So, I can take my time at the car making sure I have everything and so forth.

We walked across to Terminal C. Dropped bags with a porter that was right there.  MSC had sent us a text to say which Terminal and Entrance. We are on Deck 14, so we used the East. We asked a couple staff where is the East entrance and were directed to where it was located.  The bathroom was right there, which was helpful on the outside of the terminal since I didn't know what the line might be like inside the terminal and getting on the ship.  Maybe a line of like 10 people were in front of us on the outside of the East entrance. Inside were more people, but not horrible.  Aurea did have a priority check in section right there. We checked in there. Hardly any lines. I'm guessing it was close to 11am. I'm not sure. I usually track the time. But, we were moving so fast. 

We basically kept walking most of the time. It is indeed an older terminal. Not impressive for a first time cruiser or someone that has been inside any of the new terminals either. The outside and inside both were old and not very exciting of a welcome to your cruise. I am looking forward to MSC 's new terminal.

Security lines moved easily. Also, we did not have to toss our bottled water that we had. Not encouraging that, just sharing that was our experience. 

We walked on the ship, no waiting in the terminal for a number to be called. There was a little congestion at the entrance since people just stop when they enter. 

Here is something I thought was different from what I had recently read on here. Our room/key cards were not given at check in. They were at our cabins. Maybe I totally missed it, but I thought recent cruisers said they got their cards at check in. 

We were at the buffet by 11:15 for lunch, lol. It was not open yet, so we walked up one set of stairs to go outside to take in the view. Then back down to buffet at 11:25 to be one of the first 5 to enter. Good selection. No lines, lol. I walked my group to an area near the back to sit because I knew people would just cram in the center section.  I'm not sure why people don't choose to spread out. It just takes a minute to walk back some. Well, we did and had a good first meal and buffet dining experience. No major complaints about that first lunch. 

There was the option of carry on bag drop, but we opted not to use it. 

I think that's all about that experience. I will add more about Day 1. Man, did not realize that my posts are so long. Hahhaha. 

• Like 3

Thermal Suite in Aurea Spa - Week Pass

With our Aurea cabin reservation, we have unlimited access to the Thermal Suite. We went on a tour of the Aurea Spa the first afternoon. It's nice. I give it a B. Only the two of us in the Aurea room have used it. The Fantastica cabin can buy a pass for the week or by the day. Pre-cruise it was $130 for the week in the cruise planner. Shoot, I don't know how much it sails for on thr ship. I think $220, but I will check that. I can add some prices later if i have time to check for accuracy. 

The two of us in the Aurea Balcony with the week pass have used it twice so far. Enjoyed it. We use the indoor and outdoor areas. Outside is deck space to relax and a hot tub. There is also a side outside with cabanas that we can rent and a hot tub for that section. We did not choose to pay more money, so we just use the side with loungers and the hot tub. We have been out there twice when the ship was leaving port. The glass on the ship is higher in some areas. So, for the two times we watched the ship leave a port while we were in the spa area, we stood on top of the hot tub platform and saw a great sail away. The inside areas of the thermal suite are nice. Has not been overly crowded yet. I know when to go and when NOT to go. 

That's all for now. 

• Thanks 1

The Elevators

I was quite nervous about thr elevators given so many complaints on here. But, man, it is much better than "horrible". Some folks simply had to learn how to use them. Plus, of course, the first day on thr ship is busy and can be stressful. People are sailing on this ship from all over thr world. Some are really tired from traveling. So, they may be tired and frustration tolerance is lower. Some just needed to get some rest and food and then things got a little smoother, lol. 

One other major observation is, just like the buffet, some people don't know how to maximize the option of multiple elevator banks. If I come to an elevator area that is full of folks, I simply walk over to the elevators that are just on  side of thr ship. Walking 25 feet, usually gives me access to less busy elevators. 

I have only had one long wait for elevators. Usually, I don't wait long. Today, I have been the only person on elevators 3 times. Yes, I can alsp get into a full elevators. But, I'm a full shop, so I understand that situation. That does not lead to a complaint. 

Also, we booked cabins on the 14 deck. Two decks up to buffet. So, we walk it. For most other stuff, we can walk down OR ride to 8 and then walk to stuff on 8, 7, or 6. Then take one ride back up to 14. It hasn't been a problem. After shows or big events, yes, there is a crowd of course. So. We just go to a elevators in a different location. Folks with scooters or some mobility challenges can get elevators. We have one with mobility challenges in our group. We are functioning fine with elevator use when necessary. 

Overall, MY experience is that the elevators are NOT horrible.

Tip: Go on the other side of the elevator banks if the space is busy when you arrive. 

• Like 2

Getting on and off the Ship at Ports 

We do not have excursions booked. So, we are exploring on our own at our pace since we have someone with some medical challenges and they wanted flexibility each day. 

So we start and end days in ports as we choose. No problems getting on and off the ship in a timely fashion. No long lines. I think there have been 2 - 3 doors open to return to the ship. Two scanners usually working. I've seen one, but then he opened a second. Scan card, looks at you, then you're back on. Again, no major hassle either way. This is our experience. It might depend on the times we are getting on and off the ship. 

Is the Ship Crowded? 

Supposedly, our sailing is sold out. I say supposedly because I would expect worse crowds if that was indeed true. Yes, there are people everywhere, but I've also been standing in places looking to my left and right and seeing no crowds.

My friend was the first to say, "Wow, I expected this ship to be more crowded. It's not that bad." I went to Guest Services to ask the number. I was told "it's full". I asked how many people are on this sailing.  He said 5,400. I'm not sure I believe that number. 🤔   But, ok. 

This also goes back to people choosing less crowded spaces or to spread out. On our first Sea Day, the  pool deck was busy. But, when we walked up a set of stairs or went around to another area away from thr Marina Pool, there was plenty open chairs and space to breathe and relax. 

I already commented on crowds in the buffet area. People can choose not to be part of the crowds there based on the time they go and where they go in the big buffet area. 

Our experience is that we don't feel overwhelmed by crowds on this cruise. 

Edit: Yes, of course there is a crowd when shows and major events end and everyone exits. Like after last night's show. But, we figure out how to maneuver the crowds. Last night, we exited down by the stage. (Really sounds like I'm a glass halfway full person, doesn't it, lol. Yes, I like to be more on thr positive side.)

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 2

This sounds very encouraging. I am sailing in a few weeks and I am sure it will be sold out as well. I expect it to be crowded, but what cruise isn't? I too know how to avoid the masses as much as possible. It also doesn't bother me when I can't. I'm half full as well.

8 hours ago, blueslily said:

Embarkation

We spent some time in the Orlando area prior to the cruise. Drove down to Miami early the morning of the cruise. I chose to drive the toll road for the ease of traffic. Easy peasy. When we got to Miami, the GPS took us on a detour due to traffic on 95 and 395. I wasn't a fan of local driving due to the lights but it took us right to the ship without thr tunnel. On first try, although I was fully concentrating, we missed terminal C at first. We were right there. We took the ABC lanes as directed, but when we got right to the terminal, we could not find the entrance for C, we I had driven up to far to turn left into the entrance. So, I think we circled around NCL terminal and then got back on track for C. We parked in Garage C, second level right near an elevator. I think we parked around 10:30/10:40. My goal is usually 9:45 which is the time I love for ease of parking in Miami. So, I can take my time at the car making sure I have everything and so forth.

We walked across to Terminal C. Dropped bags with a porter that was right there.  MSC had sent us a text to say which Terminal and Entrance. We are on Deck 14, so we used the East. We asked a couple staff where is the East entrance and were directed to where it was located.  The bathroom was right there, which was helpful on the outside of the terminal since I didn't know what the line might be like inside the terminal and getting on the ship.  Maybe a line of like 10 people were in front of us on the outside of the East entrance. Inside were more people, but not horrible.  Aurea did have a priority check in section right there. We checked in there. Hardly any lines. I'm guessing it was close to 11am. I'm not sure. I usually track the time. But, we were moving so fast. 

We basically kept walking most of the time. It is indeed an older terminal. Not impressive for a first time cruiser or someone that has been inside any of the new terminals either. The outside and inside both were old and not very exciting of a welcome to your cruise. I am looking forward to MSC 's new terminal.

Security lines moved easily. Also, we did not have to toss our bottled water that we had. Not encouraging that, just sharing that was our experience. 

We walked on the ship, no waiting in the terminal for a number to be called. There was a little congestion at the entrance since people just stop when they enter. 

Here is something I thought was different from what I had recently read on here. Our room/key cards were not given at check in. They were at our cabins. Maybe I totally missed it, but I thought recent cruisers said they got their cards at check in. 

We were at the buffet by 11:15 for lunch, lol. It was not open yet, so we walked up one set of stairs to go outside to take in the view. Then back down to buffet at 11:25 to be one of the first 5 to enter. Good selection. No lines, lol. I walked my group to an area near the back to sit because I knew people would just cram in the center section.  I'm not sure why people don't choose to spread out. It just takes a minute to walk back some. Well, we did and had a good first meal and buffet dining experience. No major complaints about that first lunch. 

There was the option of carry on bag drop, but we opted not to use it. 

I think that's all about that experience. I will add more about Day 1. Man, did not realize that my posts are so long. Hahhaha. 

So could you go to your cabin right away and get your key card? Was your embarkation time checked at the termial? Thanks

1 hour ago, debnjoe1438 said:

So could you go to your cabin right away and get your key card? Was your embarkation time checked at the termial? Thanks

No. Cabins were available at 2pm.

No. Embarkation times, in the area that I was in, was not checked. I can't speak for everywhere else. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mvh said:

This sounds very encouraging. I am sailing in a few weeks and I am sure it will be sold out as well. I expect it to be crowded, but what cruise isn't? I too know how to avoid the masses as much as possible. It also doesn't bother me when I can't. I'm half full as well.

Two weeks is a Christmas sailing, I'm not really sure that this sailing is maxed out. I think there will be more people on your sailing although this one is said to be full. There is not a huge kids presence on this sailing. I expect that there will be more on your sailing for the holiday. I'm guessing that your sailing will feel a but fuller since max capacity can be higher and with more children on board. 

But yes, make good choices about timing and locations and have a great holiday cruise. 

Elevators - Funny, but not Funny

So, here's something I have not read here much. Man, those elevator doors close FAST. When your elevator arrives, get inside fast, or it will leave you there chatting with your cruise mates. I guess MSC read  your complaints and sped up the elevators, lol. So, that's my funny, but not funny comment. The elevator doors won't wait for you to be taking your sweet time to get in. Jump aboard that train fast or wait for the next one, lol. 

• Like 2

Quiet Evening Space

I'm sitting on Deck 8 outside the Sports Bar. There is a section with brown chairs and tan cushions.  Im just watching the ocean. Quiet space. This is up by the Infinity hot tubs. This eating area is on both sides of the ship. On one side of the ship, this seating area is for smokers so it's not so quiet. If you want Quiet, go to the Sports Bar side of the ship. There are doors in the Sports Bar to go outside. This side with the chairs is very quiet for relaxing and ocean watching at night. I don't recall it being quiet like this during the day. At night, yes. 

For indoor options, one person in my party says she spends time in thr Uptown Lounge for reading. She says there is light music playing in the background, but it's peaceful. 

Tip: You can find peaceful areas, day and night, even when the ship is sailing full. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Two weeks is a Christmas sailing, I'm not really sure that this sailing is maxed out. I think there will be more people on your sailing although this one is said to be full. There is not a huge kids presence on this sailing. I expect that there will be more on your sailing for the holiday. I'm guessing that your sailing will feel a but fuller since max capacity can be higher and with more children on board. 

But yes, make good choices about timing and locations and have a great holiday cruise. 

I'm actually sailing a week after the holidays. So, hopefully not many kids. Not that there's anything wrong with them.

11 hours ago, blueslily said:

We are all eating in the Aegean MDR. Yes, even the one person who has Fantastica since their booking was linked to my cabin. I'm the cruise planner and prior guest on MSC. Making this happen was very easy.

This is exactly my situation coming up on a trip in January.  "How" did you make it happen that your Fantastica person was able to eat with you in the Aurea MDR?  We have 4 cabins, of which 3 are Aurea and 1 is Fantastica.  And yes, they are all linked together.  What else needs to be done?

Hello All, Sorry for falling off thr planet during my cruise. I was indeed having a good cruise. Hahahaha. Sadly. We did come back with a cold so that was my focus yesterday and today. I will offer a few more sections with my insights. Although they might be brief given I'm a bit under the weather. But, I don't blame this in MSC or the Seascape or anything like that. I tend to get a cold near the end of cruises, lol. Socks, but it happens. So, I go prepared with my arsenal of over thr counter medications, lol. 

Disembarkation - A+

Ok, I can't find one negative thing to say about how we got off the ship. We were docked back I'm Miami early. (4:30am was the first time I peeped out the balcony.) We were in Group 10 for Aurea guests. My group planned to exit our cabins at 7:15 which is thr time that was listed in the documents that they wanted everyone out the rooms. There were a couple big bags in our group and folks did not want to do self assist.

So, at 7:15, we went to the Green Wave MDR for a sit down breakfast. I only ordered a food plate because honestly, by that point. I had eaten enough in thr first 5 days of my cruise to last me a month, lol. When people say there isn't enough food options on this ship, I'm just not sure where those folks are looking. But, I will say that I do eat less than some folks. I am not a person that needs multiple entrees or multiple appetizers. One serving of a three course meal is beyond enough for me. My health thanks me. 

Back to disembarkation...so, we ate breakfast and our group was called right after we had finished and were just sitting at the table to relax. We got into the disembarkation line on Deck 6 and never stopped walking. No joke. No horror stories to share about long lines or waits to get off. Once inside the terminal, our luggage was where it was supposed to be. I hailed a porter immediately because I love the ease they bring for zooming out the terminal. Yes, we tipped them. Our choice. It's the holiday season. We had a good cruise. Oh well, now they made even more money. Pay it forward, lol. 

The porter wized us through lines as staff just waved him through. Facial recognition - again no line. No passport needed. Then he zoomed past all the folks outside that were all over the place waiting for this or that. He pushed our luggage on the dolly straight to Garage C, up the elevator, to the car. Easy peasy. 

Let me see, what criticism can I offer? Sorry. I got nothing! 🤗 

After a good cruise, this is the ending experience you want. Plus, I was not in YC. It was not horrible to NOT have a butler. I got off the ship easy peasy on my own, with a porter in terminal, without paying the YC expense. I'm not knocking the YC at all. Just sharing because some folks want to hear from non-YC cruisers. Here I am. No YC and a good cruise for sure. 😊

• Like 5

Value of Aurea - For OUR Experience 

So, during the booking process, we opted to pay the extra fee to have the Aurea Experience. We had a balcony cabin on Deck 14, right near the elevator.

Important note, in Cabin 14095, the bed is by the balcony. I am a person that prefers that bed location and am always trying to figure out bed location when selecting cabins, so I want to return the favor here by sharing that info.

Back to Aurea

Was it worth it, the cost, for us? Hmmm, yes in a moderate way.

1. MDR Dinner at any time. Really appreciated this. Everyday was different for us, so it was nice not to have to report at any specific time. We did NOT make reservations. We just showed up and were seated. Had the same wait team regardless of time we arrived. Main waiter was EXCELLENT! 

2. Thermal Suite. Used it three days. To book it separate for the week, online in advance, would cost $130. On ship was much higher. So, to have this included in Aurea was a good benefit that we used.

3. Top 19 Solarium. Used it twice during the week. On our second Sea Day, we camped out there ALL day. We enjoyed this option for sure. 

4. Priority check in line at Embarkation. Appreciated the shorter line and fast walk onto the ship. 

5. Misc. There was a section in the MDR for breakfast on Debarkation day. We saw it after we were already set. There were a couple other moments when we were recognized as Aurea and having some priority. We got a couple small welcome gifts in the room due to Aurea status. 

I could not figure out what, if any, benefit there was when it came to room service. I think I had read it wrong that if I ordered Room Service, as Aurea, I would not have to pay anything, meaning no delivery fee either. But, I was told that no, room service is not free for Aurea guests. We did not pay for the actual food. We did pay for the delivery fee. It was one morning breakfast. 

What other "benefits" am I missing?

Overall, yes, it was worth the extra money. Made it nice to just have these things ahead on my card. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, blueslily said:

could not figure out what, if any, benefit there was when it came to room service. I think I had read it wrong that if I ordered Room Service, as Aurea, I would not have to pay anything, meaning no delivery fee either. But, I was told that no, room service is not free for Aurea guests. We did not pay for the actual food. We did pay for the delivery fee. It was one morning breakfast. 

Odd…on our booking confirmation for upcoming Aurea Balcony (not suites) it states:

• 24-hour room service (free delivery)
• Breakfast in cabin (free delivery)
 Do you recall what the delivery fee was?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Odd…on our booking confirmation for upcoming Aurea Balcony (not suites) it states:

• 24-hour room service (free delivery)
• Breakfast in cabin (free delivery)
 Do you recall what the delivery fee was?

It was listed as $7.95 in the menu. I asked Guest Services because I thought it was an error. They said that it is not free for Aurea so it was not an error. I thought for sure that was wrong. But, I wasn't having a cow about it. We got a bit of bang for our buck overall during our cruise with how we booked. Good luck to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1